Bell size for quartet

The bulk of the musical talk
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

I wouldn't think the size of the bell would matter. It has never mattered for me in a brass quintet or brass trio w/ trumpet and trombone.

I would think the best course of action would be to pick the horn you can play better in tune with.

-heads
Music Teacher
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I would say that it depends on the music, itself. If you are playing Bach Contrapuncti, the smaller bell (theoretically smaller sound) might be the better choice. It would keep the tuba on a more even footing, which would be much more appropriate for that music.

If you are doing orchestral excerpts, or other "big" sounding music, of course the broader sound would be desireable.

Well, that's the way it seems to me, anyway...
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Bell size for quartet

Post by Rick Denney »

Jonathantuba wrote:I am playing in a low brass quartet with 3 trombones next month and am considering what tuba to use. I have an old Besson Imperial Eb with 15" bell, compared to the 19" on my Sovereign and was thinking that that might fit in better with the tone of the trombones having a smaller bell.

Any thoughts?
On of the reasons I like my Yamaha 621 F tuba (with 14" bell) in quintet is that I can more closely match the bass trombone concept important for many of the baroque transcriptions. I find it much easier to blend with the trombone. One other works, contrast is more important the blend and I go for a rounder tone. The B&S F tuba produces that rounder tone more readily.

I've heard many players who used the 19"-belled Sovereign, and it makes a lovely, round tone. I think it's beautiful, but it's not at all trombone-like.

Given that I think the little Yamaha has more Besson in its heritage than anything else, I would be tempted to favor the Imperial, if it manages everything else properly. But if the work is intended to highlight the difference in tone between the tuba and trombones, it might go the other way.

Rick "who thinks it depends on the music" Denney
MichaelDenney
bugler
bugler

Post by MichaelDenney »

Rick,
Congratulations on breaking a thousand posts, and thanks for the entertainment along the way!
It is impossible to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

MichaelDenney wrote:Rick,
Congratulations on breaking a thousand posts, and thanks for the entertainment along the way!
Thanks. I wasn't even aware I'd crossed that invisible line until you mentioned it.

By the way, are we related?

Rick "who thinks our spelling is not at all common" Denney