Compare and contrast....

The bulk of the musical talk
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Compare and contrast....

Post by MaryAnn »

Does anyone with experience with both, care to "compare and contrast" the Miraphone 184 CC with the Meinl Weston 35 CC? Things such as air required, tone, ergonomics, intonation, bad notes, etc etc etc.

MA
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Compare and contrast....

Post by bort »

In my very brief experiences... I think the MW-35 is more like a Miraphone 186, but the MW has a darker sound and can handle more air before breaking up.

Both the 184 and MW35 are easy to play, but the 184 almost feels like a toy because it's so small, easy, and fun to play. Between the two, I'd prefer the 184.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Just for size reference, that is a 184 in my avatar, sold a couple years ago to help pay for medical care. I'm fantasizing about another tuba and saw a Bill Bell available. The 184 I had was way better than average...vented valves, other stuff I didn't even know about until the person who bought it raved about the instrument. But it barked (ok, I barked it on occasion,) and I sort of was wanting one that doesn't need more air and is less likely to bark. I may just go for an F again but I liked the deeper sounding low range on the CC.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I'm not sure I can provide that information... I'm not sure if the MW *requires* more air, but I think it will certainly *accept* more air. Good luck, and hope you get another tuba soon!