A magnificent Eb for a modest amount of money.

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

let's see it...
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: A magnificent Eb for a modest amount of money.

Post by Dan Schultz »

laeven wrote:Recently I laid hand on a Buescher Eb Monster from the 1930 's
I worked on a Buescher Eb Monster like yours just last week :!: This one dated from 1916 but I expect it was like the one you have. A wonderful sounding horn with a nice round timbre. It has a small receiver and I expect the owner will bring it back shortly to have it changed to a regular one. Is yours a front-action :?: If so... and if you have piston problems, I discovered that the 1st and 3rd pistons interchange and pistons from and Eb of about the same era will also work. How's the intonation of yours :?: The best I could do with this one is about 15 cents flat, but I wanted the owner to play it for a bit to see how his chops worked on it before cutting it a little.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

laeven wrote:...intonation: was about 15% low
Is there a list of serial numbers somewhere?
Here's a serial number list:

http://www.musictrader.com/buescher.html

If it was low-pitch, as it seems to have been, then it predated the late 20's when pitch standards settled on A-440. Before that time, low pitch was more like A-435--close but not quite there depending on the instrument. The catalogs of the 20's talk about low pitch and high pitch (which is much too high for modern use), but later catalogs don't.