Is a 3 valve Eb really worth it?

The bulk of the musical talk
tubaribonephone
bugler
bugler

Is a 3 valve Eb really worth it?

Post by tubaribonephone »

My brass methods teacher has a 3 valve York Eb that he bought for about $500 and said that if I wanted too, I could buy it from him for considerably less. The question that I have is this: Is a 3 valve Eb worth it because many of the solos for bass tuba go down into ranges were a 4 valve is needed (like the vaughan williams concerto). I know that some solos have optional, higher notes to compensate for this but there are still some that don't (once again, like the vaughan williams).

Thanks for the input,
Ricky
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

As it stands, I don't think that it would make an appropriate solo instrument, but if the priveledged tones are working, you could use it for many ensemble situations.

Of greater concern to me, would be the instrument's intonation.
tubaribonephone
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaribonephone »

I guess I should have said I have yet to play it but my teacher said that all of the people who have played it said that the intonation is really good and it's in really good shape for how old it is (I don't exactly remember how old it is though), all I'm waiting for now is for him to actually bring it to class. Also, I have been told that a lot of these tubas are cut to F so I guess that's a possibilty later down the road when I have more money.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

York Eb

Post by Uncle Buck »

It all depends on what you are looking for, and what circumstances you might need it for. You can go a long way with slide pulling and false tones, but there is a limit. And in an ensemble situation, false tones won't balance out a section like "real" tones will.

Again, it all depends on what you want to use it for, whether you're looking for a long-term instrument or something to get you by until you can get something better, etc.

However (my ulterior motive showing through :twisted: ), if you decide you don't want it, I live close by, and would be interested myself.
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

Tubaribonephone,if you have a real use for an Eb try it out.If it's the right horn for you,love will make you cough up the $500.I switched from BBb to Eb and I find Eb fine for solo work.Also it is really nice to own your own tuba.You can take it anywhere,practice anytime and even put funny stickers all over it.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Sure, get it. If you take up tuba as a profession/serious hobby, you'll blow a large amount of cash on a "good horn" anyway.

But, whether you do that or not, you'd still have the old Eb to use in Christmas caroling, smoky bars, 4th of July parades, Mardi Gras'es and Oktoberfests, etc etc. The only times where I really needed a nice tuba were in my later college years and beyond; for every other occasion, my old Zeiss was just fine.