Tubist on Steroids

The bulk of the musical talk
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Tubist on Steroids

Post by brianf »

Just got back from the doctor for a followup to last's week's bronchitis. He wanted to know if I wanted to blow it off the fast way or slow way - of course I took the fast way. He put me on steroids and told me I can play my horn!

I need to know what playing a tuba on steroids is like. In the Olympics (and trumpet playing) it would be faster, higher & louder. For the tuba could it be lower, slower and softer? If my head gets enlarged, will I develop the ego of a trumpet player and go to shows playing every mouthpiece to try to hit a triple high G?

I'm on for a week - is this the time to find an opera company doing the entire Ring cycle and go for it? How about just the loudest 1812 overture? Maybe just a circus band? Could this be the week I blow Gene Pokorny's socks off and play his gigs instead of fixing his computer?

Maybe I should play my horn so loud to piss off the entire city of Chicago so they might do a trade - maybe to Baltimore for Fedderly? That can make up for them getting Sammy Sosa for a couple minor leagers. Maybe I should just write a tell all book and do an interview on 60 minutes.

Decisions, decisions - I'm on them for a week and they are even legal. What would you do if you were a tubist on steroids for a week?
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Tubist on Steroids

Post by TubaRay »

brianf wrote:What would you do if you were a tubist on steroids for a week?
Chill out!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

:roll:
Last edited by TexTuba on Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

TexTuba wrote:I hear your main slide shrinks. :lol: :wink: :lol:
Yeah, but you can get that 'miniball' linkage you've been wanting!
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Steroids are great. But if you become a great player, they may put an asterix by your name.

Aaaaargh!
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

bloke wrote:Have you considered the National Sousaphone Open?
Where is it hosted?

sean "one of the highest paid fulltime Sousaphone operators in the country" chisham
sean chisham
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

If I did the National Sousaphone Open, I'd have to do it right. What would be the tubists' version of a corked bat? Gotta cheat right!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
ai698
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ai698 »

What would be the tubists' version of a corked bat? Gotta cheat right!
This:

Steve W

Rudolf Meinl RM45 CC, Meinl-Weston 46 F, Mack-TU410L
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

ai698 wrote:
What would be the tubists' version of a corked bat? Gotta cheat right!
This:

Fantastic! A tuba fit for Sammy Sosa.
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

Last edited by Daryl Fletcher on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkietuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Arkietuba »

To actually answer the question...I have had a few instances when I was sick or had a skin problem that required steroids (once for a 3 week period). I had no problem in my playing, if it did effect me it was a positive effect. The only negative was that I ate about 2-3 times what I normally do (if there is such a thing as eating too much).
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Tubist on Steroids

Post by Lee Stofer »

Brian,
The dermatologist has had me occasionally do the 5- or 6-day regimen of steroids to keep my hands from falling apart, and I'll offer you this advice - just try as much as possible to stay on an even keel. You might feel like superman for a couple of days, but I also normally feel like I have almost constant heartburn, and after they wear off, you may feel like just going into hiding or staying in bed for two days, too. Also, the Dr. warned me that, although the steroids really speed up healing, they can tend to supress your immune system, too, so try to take really good care of yourself for the next few days. And if you are sick with bronchitis, you really do not need to be playing, young man. . . I really prefer normal, God-given testosterone levels to using the synthetic stuff!
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bloke wrote:Image
I LOVE seeing sousaphones with their main bows exposed directly to concrete/asphalt :!: It makes the repair industry soooo interesting :wink:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

So far things are OK - my hat still fits.

I've played a few rehersals but what they are putting on the stand does not let me take it easy - Tch #5, Nabucco, Tch Romeo & Juliet and Prok Romeo & Juliet. The problem is playing this with a reduced vital capacity. Eventually, when things totally clear out I'll hit the breathing toys and get myself out of the habit of a diminished breath - this is a big problem for wind players who go through respiratory problems! It can be cleared out quickly.

While having a few blowers on the schedule, the phone has not been ringing with opera companies needing someone to play the Ring. A couple guys are avoiding me - either Gene Pokorny has solved his broadband problem (after 5 phone calls the other day - he did not want to see my face or bronchitis) or he's chicken to see a steroid-lace tuba player. He's not very good on the computer so I think he's chicken. Fedderly does not appreciate being the tuba player to be named later for the Sammy Sosa deal. Personally, I like Sammy and his steroids in Baltimore and would rather watch the Sammyless Cubs (addition by subtraction). I did work on Floyd Cooley's computer yesterday - he doesn't play much so wasn't intimidated by a tuba player on steroids. At least he's making a leap out of the Mac world!

So, here it is - the continuing saga, started with nose surgery, developed into bronchitis and hopefully this is the end!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

brianf wrote: The problem is playing this with a reduced vital capacity.
Ask your doc about Ventolin. Opens up chest constriction like magic, and very few side effects.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

brianf wrote:

So, here it is - the continuing saga, started with nose surgery, developed into bronchitis and hopefully this is the end!

:shock:

I hope that it isn't THAT bad!

-Tabor