Euphonium Mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
nicholeu
lurker
lurker

Euphonium Mouthpieces

Post by nicholeu »

Hello.

I am currently on a hunt for a new euphonium mouthpiece, but I would love some advice. I play on a Yamaha 641S euphonium. I have tried out a miraphone 16T (which was awesome) but I don't know where I could buy one, a marcellus, which I also am fond of. This one is very comfortable with not a lot of resistance. I also tried a Bach 5GS, but didn't like how the rim is so small and cuts in. I also tried a doug elliot which felt much more direct with the air, but I was playing on a trombone mouthpiece, so the cup and rim were very small. I see online that Brian Bowman and Steve Mead make their own mouthpieces, but I have not tried them yet. I guess I want to know what other euph players out there have liked and recommend.

By the way my name is Nichole and I am a masters student. :)
Erik_Sweden
bugler
bugler

Re: Euphonium Mouthpieces

Post by Erik_Sweden »

Hi,

Amateur player here, and I love my Denis Wick Steve Mead Ultra (SM3X)
Miraphone 497 Hagen BBb Tuba, PT-88
Besson BE2052 Prestige Euphonium, Dennis Wick SM3X
menroth
bugler
bugler

Post by menroth »

I use a Denis Wick 4AL gold plated trombone piece or sometimes a Bach 6 1/2 on the same instrument, a Yamaha 641S. These two have worked fine for me for years, but that's no recommendation since I find mouthpiece choise to be very individual.

Regards,
Martin
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

It would help to know what you like and don't about the Marcellus (and the 16T), i.e., you've said it's comfortable and and free blowing; what don't you like about it that's making you want to try something else: is it too free blowing? too unfocused? too flexible/tight? How about the sound: is it too bright/dark/warm/cold/narrow/broad/????

That said, the Schilke 51D and 52E2 are considered standard reference points in the euphonium world, and, as such, either (or both) would be a good starting point from which to embark on a mouthpiece search.

BTW, Doug Elliott lists his LT102 rim as similar in size to the Marcellus and the Bach 4G, which is a step up in size from the 5G (and given the notorious variability of Bach's mpcs from their published specs over the years, I'd trust Doug's measurements over Bach's specs), which would explain why the 5G felt small to you.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

Nichole, another source that you might try is David Werden's Forum

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php#.VEWk8ktiGFI" target="_blank

His is more euphonium focused.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

If you can manage it, try the G&W Carbonaria. It is deep and a large throat but a gorgeous sounding piece. Really not much wider than the SM4 and takes a little getting used to in the upper as it is larger than most. Specs are on the G&W website. For the month of October Ivan is offering $40.00 off. That makes it much more affordable.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Everyone is different with different preference of tone and different sized lips. That being said, I played on a YEP-641 for many years. What worked well for me was a Doug Elliott combo... 102 rim; LT-I cup, I8 or I9 shank. A Giddings and Webster Kadja worked very well too.

Hope this helps.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Denis Wick 4AL is a good match for that horn. I've known at least one person that it really did wonders for. The Steven Mead series are a beast to handle properly, and I preferred the sound of the classic DW. The Brian Bowman mouthpiece is not my thing; it has a brighter, military-style sound and didn't work well with my horn. (However, if you like that sound, then this is probably one of the better models out there.)
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

I own and use Bowman BB1G, G&W Carbanaria, Mead Ultra 1, G&W E1, and a few others.

The Carbonaria is currently my fav - it has a free open sound, it's extra mass makes the timbre rich and dark and the available range plays the entire horn.

I am going to try a Yamaha Roger Bobo Signature Tenor Tuba mouthpiece.

Rob
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

Order a few on trial, experiment, send back what does not work. Mouthpiece Express, Hickey's, and Woodwind & Brasswind have this service (as do others, most probably). Only you can find what works best for you.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

I've always liked the Steven Mead series SM3.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

For those of you who may be interested: I understand the the Arthur Lehman euph mp is now available from Stork Mouthpieces
in Vermont. He had made one about a year ago for a good friend and Lehman disciple - and should have the digital scan on file. It is rather deep and wide and is a bit larger than the 'Carbonaria' that is available from G&W. It was digitally copied from one of the originals that were made for Arthur and friends by Bob Pallanch way back when.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)