chronic dry lips

The bulk of the musical talk
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Re: chronic dry lips

Post by pjv »

They say there are two types of players; wet and dry (more or less).
I used to play wet-style; always liking my mpc, etc. Then I moved to a cold county and found that licking my lips all the time tended to irritate them.
So I switched to dry playing. Now I even use a handkerchief (like Armstrong used to do) to dry the mpc when it gets to wet.
Once I got used to playing dry I found it just as easy to play. The advantage; playing dry-style means I can still play even when it gets moist in the mpc. Of coarse there's still moisture in my mouth (like most mouths) but I don't wast any excess saliva on keeping the mpc wet.

And always drink enough water.

Good luck
tusabtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by tusabtuba »

Try Chop Saver. They have a website and its sold in a lot of music stores. Developed by a now retired trumpet form the Indianapolis Symphony. really good stuff.

resist the temptation to lick your lips, as this actually help dry them out. Good luck, Tusabtuba
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

Here's my advice (the same advice my teachers have told me in the past):

1) If your pee is yellow, you're not drinking enough water to ensure you don't get dry lips.
2) Only use lip balm of any sort (I use ChopSaver myself) in emergencies or your lips will learn to depend on the stuff.

I get dry lips if I don't drink enough water or at times where I'm catching a cold or something even if I'm consuming enough water. I use ChopSaver (or just about any other product that does not have camphor or menthol) if I NEED it. Otherwise, I just drink myself a couple tall glasses of water and repeat.

Check yer pee... as per the advice of some very highly respected brass professionals who are not me.
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

While playing--try lanolin.
When outside (not playing)--something with sunscreen.
bobd0
bugler
bugler

Post by bobd0 »

As I age, I experience an increasing problem with dry, chapped lips. I've found that, as mentioned, hydration is key. But don't wait until you're thirsty. You must remain hydrated before thirst hits. I drink but a lot of water and mostly avoid drinks with diuretic effects like caffeine and alcohol. But I do have two cups of coffee a day at breakfast -- real 6 oz cups, not those humungous 16 oz cups. And a glass of wine with supper. These don't seem to pose a problem with adequate hydration.

I use Burt's Bees with vitamin E and peppermint whenever I go outside to face the elements and usually before bed. It's very refreshing. Keeping the chops protected during sleep is important. Generally, people don't drink while sleeping! :D

Keep in mind, these lip balms, whatever brand, don't hydrate your lips. They coat and seal your lips to keep the hydration in.

I include shaving in the mix. I haven't shave around my mouth at all since picking up brass again a few years ago. I've found that scraping sharp metal blades across my chops irritates and exacerbates chapping. So I keep a light mustache and goatee. I use a barber shop-type trimmer on the lowest setting and gently trim mustache and goatee. I use scissors to carefully trim any remaining hairs that intrude onto the rim line.

So far, so good. But here comes winter. I hope we don't have another polar vortex season.
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Donn wrote: I found this intriguing enough to see if I could find the mystery bad-for-lips ingredient in lip balms, but I didn't get to it.
The main suspects seem to be phenol, camphor, menthol, and possibly salicylic acid. One theory of why these are harmful claims that though they all have beneficial primary properties (as disinfectants and mild topical anaesthetics), they also have the side effect of encouraging the shedding of the outermost layer of dead skin cells. This in turn leads to drying of the skin, which causes discomfort and encourages further applications of lip balm. This sets up a vicious cycle leading to long-term over-use of the lip balm, which eventually results in the skin shutting down its own production of moisturisers/lubricants, leaving the user dependent on the lip balm. Withdrawal of the lip balm at this stage causes the skin on the lips to dry out and crack, painfully.

The key seems to be moderation: If you are applying lip balm more than three or four times per day, you are looking for trouble. The pleasant tingle from additives like peppermint, menthol, cinnamon, etc. does not help in this respect.

EDIT:
Similarly, moistening your lips with saliva allows enzymes in the saliva to attack the layer of dead cells, causing further drying of the lips. This is probably the basis for the protection provided by Bloke's organic alternative: With that stuff on your lips, you're not likely to lick them (especially not twice).
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
marktuba
bugler
bugler

Post by marktuba »

I don't know why, but my lips get dry/gummy if I eat chicken before I play.

Also, Carmex is the best!
Mark E Tetreault

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"- Hunter Thompson
DavidK
bugler
bugler

Post by DavidK »

I second MikeW and Bobd0 recommendations.

Being a lip balm junkie. This happened one winter in 7th or 8th grade with a case of very severe chapped lips and daily band rehearsals. I have had to rely on lip balm ever since.

The blander, the better. Plain Chapstick, Chop Saver, plain Blistex. Some of these also have a sunscreen component.
I apply as needed and immediately before performing, does not cause my embouchure to be slippery or have a negative effect on seating the mouthpiece rim on my chops.

Carmex has camphor - I won't touch it. Camphor products are used as a disinfectant and to dry out cold sores. How could that be good for your chops? If it works for some of our readers, great. But I avoid it.
I also avoid Blistex ointment.