All Star Orchestra - Firebird - Olka

The bulk of the musical talk
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Re: All Star Orchestra - Firebird - Olka

Post by tbn.al »

Yes! Tight low brass section. I love the way they anticipated the beat. On time, every time. It looked like they were given more than the customary space between them and the bassoons. I get to play this this Spring. Can't wait!
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Nice! The music was great and I liked how the videographer and editor was able to get so many closeups within the orchestra. Wonder how many times they had to play it through to get the shots that they needed?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

It sounded great, but I didn't like the video -- it jumped around too much and I found it to be distracting and jolting. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that though.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Yeah there was literally a cut over to Mr. Olka that lasted only as long as the staccato note that he played.

And I was hoping to see the speed with which he had to rip the mute out of the bell in that one section.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Big Ben wrote:Nice! The music was great and I liked how the videographer and editor was able to get so many closeups within the orchestra. Wonder how many times they had to play it through to get the shots that they needed?
Most of these were done in one take. They have cameras everywhere.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Good, clean playing. But I'm with bort on this -- not crazy about the 'jump-around' video work. Also, the recorded sound has too much hall ambiance and not enough 'close-up' presence, particularly with the brass. There are some very loud fff parts where the tuba is nearly inaudible.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

I was disappointed upon clicking on this thread to find that it was not about Olka playing a
(Miraphone) Firebird, but was about Olka playing excerpts from Stravinsky's "The Firebird" ballet on a Yamayork.

Still pretty good, though, as is the rest of the All-Star Orch stuff. Absolutely worth a watch.
[/post]