Eb versus f

The bulk of the musical talk
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Eb versus f

Post by tubeast »

The discussion of Eb vs. F, in my surroundings, boils down to one between a German-type rotary F vs. British-style compensated Eb.
The latter will team up with a band´s BBbs to form a tuba register, the former will close the gap in sound between BBb tuba and oval baritones / tenor horns in polka bands like "Die Egerländer".

So on community-band level around here the choice of horns greatly depends on the preferred literature and whether the two Tuba parts are just written in octaves or as two separate voices.

In this context it´s comparing apples to oranges, or Melton 2045 CC to Fasolt BBb.
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jay Bertolet »

It used to be that this topic was distinctly different than the typical BBb versus CC conversation. Nowadays, I see it as exactly the same. There are so many different designs of both Eb and F tubas that trying to assign universally distinct qualities to either horn just isn't possible. As always, it comes down to trying them out and buying what works best for you.
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Jay,

+100

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Dean E »

I play and own tubas in all keys, except for bugle in G.

The modern Eb and BBb horns play more easily than the older horns. So, if one is simply basing an opinion on a horn that was played in high school, I suggest getting to a retailer or show and spending some quality time with new designs. Whenever I pick up a Chinese design, or a name brand student model instrument, I expect appropriate results, usually with slower valve action, stuffiness, and high volume breakups.

I know two retired US Marine Corps, President's Own, low brass players who love Eb:

A retired trombonist (who was having wrist issues) performed alongside me in a community band on Eb for a season. He even did a popular cornet solo, Bride of the Waves (if I remember correctly), on Eb tuba. He reminisced with me that he favored Eb sousaphone in school marching bands because it could "cut like a buzzsaw."

Another retired President's Own tubist who stayed in the DC area is almost never seen without his personal Eb helicon.
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

It depends, as most everything, on the individual, and the instrument.

I like my F...I like my Eb. My F is my go to. I don't have a CC, so BBb is by default...a Piggy or a 60s 186 would be my preference.

I really don't care. If it's there, I'll try to use it.