Is this expected?

The bulk of the musical talk
tubafour
bugler
bugler

Is this expected?

Post by tubafour »

For anyone who has or has seen a new Miraphone in the past, say, year or so.

Does it look as if the bell section (above the Miraphone stamp) is set off by a ring that breaks the smoothness of the throat? It looks, perhaps, as if the bell has been replaced. Also, have any small brown "blemishes" shown up on the laquer on exclusively this part of the horn? These spots will not come off with any polishing cloth, and I have taken unbelievable care of this horn in the 6 months I've had it (I won't put it in the case with fingerprints).

Should this section of my horn raise concern? It does scare me, since they are both on the same region of the instrument.

Thanks in advance.
Josh "It's kind of like having a nightmare" Stanley
adam0408
3 valves
3 valves

Post by adam0408 »

I recall that the miraphone I played in high school had that too, and it didnt bother me..... Perhaps because I wasnt the one that spent thousands of dollars on it. That seems strange that the company wouldnt cover that up better
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

My 1291 has always had the ring (from two-part bell construction?) but I dont' know anything about the spots.
tubarepair
bugler
bugler

Post by tubarepair »

The brown spots could very well be acid bleed from soldering flux that wasn't removed. This would be near any joints/ferrules on the horn. This was a very popular option on the Conn's of the 1970's - 80's :lol:
Daryl Hickman