Recommendations for CC tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
dsteinerz
lurker
lurker

Recommendations for CC tubas

Post by dsteinerz »

Hello,

I am looking for tubas, and I would would appreciate some recommendations. I am looking for one that could be bought new or used for 6000, but I would prefer if you would keep recommendations to under 4000, because 6000 is only for really good deals. I am not very experienced in buying tubas, since the only one that I have bought was a dillon horn. It needs to be a CC with 5 valves, and a 5/4 or a 4/4 size.
Thanks for any recommendations!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Recommendations for CC tubas

Post by bisontuba »

Hi--
Try the 4/4 5v CC ''Miraclones'---model 410--- from either Baltimore Brass, Dillon, Mack, Jim Laabs, Tuba Exchange,TubaMM etc.......way under $4k brand new for a very fine tuba...
Mark
dsteinerz
lurker
lurker

Post by dsteinerz »

jonesmj wrote:Hi--
Try the 4/4 5v CC ''Miraclones'---model 410--- from either Baltimore Brass, Dillon, Mack, Jim Laabs, Tuba Exchange,TubaMM etc.......way under $4k brand new for a very fine tuba...
Mark
Would you recommend the wessex CC?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

dsteinerz wrote:
Mark
Hi-
I knew I forgot one company--yes, Wessex Miraclone also.
Regards-
Mark
dsteinerz
lurker
lurker

Post by dsteinerz »

jonesmj wrote:
dsteinerz wrote:
Mark
Hi-
I knew I forgot one company--yes, Wessex Miraclone also.
Regards-
Mark
In which way are the tubas different? Are they the exact same or do they vary from the retailer?
balchb
bugler
bugler

Post by balchb »

I'd definitely recommend the Wessex CC 'Miraclone.' Andy is also great to work with. I own a Wessex CC "Mahler" in raw brass, but I think they only advertise gold brass bell and silver on the website. At around $2,500 - a steal of a deal for a great horn. No signs of cheapness here. http://www.wessex-tubas.com/cc-rotary-tuba/

Tom at Mack Brass now has a 5/4 PT-6 clone that has received great reviews so far. A link to the thread discussion is here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63913. This instrument is over your budget at around $5,500-$5,900, but might fit the bill on being a great deal.

The Mack Brass PT-6 clone link is here - http://www.mackbrass.com/B_S_PT6P_CC_Tuba_Copy.php.
Wessex CC "Mahler" raw brass
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I had orchestral professional player with a Miraphone Bruckner visit me yesterday and honestly when he tried the Wessex Mahler CC he said it plays with better intonation and easier low register than his expensive CC tuba. In the end he went away with my demonstration Wessex Solo Eb which he said was the best Eb tuba he had ever played at any price.

Regarding differences, the Wessex Mahler by default has gold brass bell, engraved valve caps with lateral movement adjustment screw (to minimise slack and reduce valve noise) and higher quality case. We also check every one at factory before accepting, so you can be sure of a good one.

From February we will be adding another substantial enhancement to the Mahler CC (and Luzern BBb), but I will announce more about that later.
balchb
bugler
bugler

Post by balchb »

the elephant wrote: Seemingly a stupid question, but can you purchase the adjustable back caps by themselves, Jonathan? If so, how much would a set cost?
Ditto. I wouldn't mind those for my Wessex "Mahler" CC.
balchb
bugler
bugler

Post by balchb »

the elephant wrote:Yeah. I have a student who has a Wessex Mahler. He recently moved here from the Midwest. His does not have these fitted and I would like to see a set on his tuba, which is shockingly good, by the way. I am honestly surprised by this. Good tuba!
I like it better than the Miraphone 186 I had in college... high range is much easier to slot and I think it has a more colorful sound.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Sometimes you will find a Miraphone 1291 around here for less than $6,000. I owned one for many years, and thought it was a great tuba (only sold because I ended up not liking pistons). For that price range, you might also find a Miraphone 188 (another great tuba), or something like an older PT-3, PT-4, or PT-20.

For Meinl Westons, look for MW-32's in the $4k range (again, very nice tubas, just not the current popular style), and sometimes MW 2145's might be in the $5k to $6k range.

Marzan tubas are uncommon, but when they are around they are usually in the $4k range, and are a LOT of tuba for the money.

The $4,000 mark is kind of a funky price range for non-Chinese CC tubas. There are some out there, but not an overwhelming supply. It's the type of thing to have your money ready, be patient, and ready to buy when something comes up. Not always possible or easy to do that, but that's your best bet.

At the very low price range, a Cerveny piggy is about the least you will spend for a decent CC tuba. Check out the one "the elephant" is selling -- that's a steal, if you are within driving distance of him. I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for any Cerveny though, they are good tubas but terrible at holding their value. Any of the other above-mentioned tubas would likely re-sell at the same price you bought it at.

I have no experience with the Chinese tubas, but lots of good players say lots of good things about them. They are too new to predict resale values.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^ I realize that's not much of a recommendation... but "4/4 or 5/4 CC tuba" has a LOT of options in that price range. You will need to decide more specifically what you are looking for.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

balchb wrote:
the elephant wrote: Seemingly a stupid question, but can you purchase the adjustable back caps by themselves, Jonathan? If so, how much would a set cost?
Ditto. I wouldn't mind those for my Wessex "Mahler" CC.
I am going to the factory first week January, so will see if I can get some spare back valve caps for the Wessex Mahler. I can't say price until I get invoice from factory, but sure will not be too expensive.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Neptune wrote:I had orchestral professional player with a Miraphone Bruckner visit me yesterday and honestly when he tried the Wessex Mahler CC he said it plays with better intonation and easier low register than his expensive CC tuba.
BUT...
Ease of playing and "push button intonation" are one thing, SOUND is another.
There has been a lot of discussion about BATs, aka 6/4 tubas, recently.
The general consensus is that most BAT's require a little more work in the intonation department, and need a little more attention in the low register than their 4/4 or 5/4 counterparts.
But the sound... :tuba:
DPlander
bugler
bugler

Post by DPlander »

I need to put a plug in for the Smaller Kanstul 902 Series horns. I currently play on a 902-4C horn and I love it. they are about 5600 new right now, but I know you can find some used ones our there for around the 4k mark.
Douglas Plander,
Tubbist, Orlando Concert Band
Audio Engineer, Video Equipment Rentals
Kanstul 902-4C
King 1927 Double CC .752 Bore
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I play a Rudy Meinl 32 with five rotors. Great horn and lovely sound. They run anywhere from 3,500-4,000
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

At Baltimore Brass Company

from the BBC website:

CC Used Scherzer 4/4 5V rotary CC tuba. S-style linkage with clockwork springs, in good condition. Comes with hard and soft cases. $4,295.00

I have played this tuba and liked it. It has a nice sound, the intonation was good and it is in good shape. In my opinion this would is a good all purpose tuba. That said, I am not in the market for another tuba, I have my own preferences for tubas and you should test drive whatever you are considering.

best,
Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA