York Bass Models

The bulk of the musical talk
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Re: York Bass Models

Post by PaulMaybery »

FWIW.
York marketed a rotary valve BBb with a detachable recording bell, called the "Cefesco" model.
The catalog mentioned the availability of an upright bell.
At one time I had the York catalog from the 1960s which included a picture and brief description.
The valves were by Meinl-Schmidt. Linkage was clockspring. Finish was lacquer. The receiver was rather large, euro size, though that was pretty standard even on the American made BBbs. I remember having an adapter made.

It was definitely from the time when Bohm & Meinl had acquired the manufacturing and it had the standard wrap found on Miraphones and other German tubas from the time. Also the blade on the bottom bow.

I owned this horn, bought it brand new in 1964 from Henry Glass Music in Philadelphia. I used it in the West Jersey Symphonic Band with Lucien Cailliet conducting for 2 seasons. Great projection and tight focused sound. Not that sensitive though for softer playing. It was rather stiff. I eventually sold it around 1976. By then I was playing CC and F. Obviously, this was not an American York design. Basically a German tuba with a York style bell with the half round band where the flare and the elbow are joined. Likely just a Bohm & Meinl stenciled with "York" on the bell.

Not sure if I still have a photo. Maybe.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

lost wrote:While the original goal of this thread was to catalog a list of pre-1940 york models, the york models after 1940 would be interesting to see/discuss since i'm not sure how much is known about those models.

Tabor...what year is the model?
Sn: 85xx. 1903
Tubas
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

lost wrote: They also made the model 91 in 4 valves top action and 4 valves front action
I have yet to see a factory original Model 91 in side action with four valves.

(I don't think we can consider the CSO Yorks in this category).

I'm not saying that one couldn't exist, as back in those days, if you had the status (or the money), they would build whatever you wanted. I simply haven't seen this configuration offered as an option in any catalogue (so far).
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

Here's a clear shot of the York 91 BBb beside a Cut CC Holton.
Could someone be kind enough to post the catalog ad that matches this instrument.
1924 BBb Satin Silver 22.5 inch bell.

Everyone should own a 6/4 at least in there life!
I played this on a church gig the other day... sooooooooo much fun!

Best,
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

There was also (pre-1940) a stubby but fat BBb with 4 top-action pistons; rather small bore. I converted it to front-action and call it my "Yorkofone".
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

Responding to an earlier post in this thread about scanning the catalogs, you can get an app for your smart phone or tablet with a camera to scan the stuff by simply taking a picture of it. If you have a space with good lighting, you don't need to use the flash on your device either. I use TinyScanner to scan my music into PDF on my iphone and ipad but there are a bunch to choose from
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

TurboScan is excellent too.
jmagnew3
lurker
lurker

Post by jmagnew3 »

I have catalogs from the york company and probably the most info since Bob (Bob Rusk) passed.
What do you want to know?
Joseph Agnew
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Thanks, RIchard, for making and updating your list. What would be the model number of a BBb, 4-piston, top-action, upright bell (tall bell, 18" diameter)? No PM's, please. Thank you. Paul.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

PRO wrote:Thanks, RIchard, for making and updating your list. What would be the model number of a BBb, 4-piston, top-action, upright bell (tall bell, 18" diameter)? No PM's, please. Thank you. Paul.

In the 1935 catalog, it lists an Upright Bass BBb Medium-Large Bore LP, 18" bell, 3p, top action as a 700. I believe one just added a 4th valve as an option to the same number.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I seee this was originally a 2015 post. I hope you are continuing with this project.

Here is one not on your list.
https://simonettitubacollection.com/ins ... -piston-2/
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

FYI: York Master Bell Front Bb-Tuba renovated - price drop from 89.000,- dkr to 59.000,- dkr ... I am not associated with the shop in any ways, but it's a lovely picture ... https://gottfried.dk/brugt-messing-893/ ... rugt-p8768
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs