Bought a new Eastman EBC-632 CC tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubainsauga

Re: Bought a new Eastman EBC-632 CC tuba

Post by Tubainsauga »

As someone looking into purchasing a smaller, more versatile CC tuba, the 3450 came up a lot as a potential instrument. Anyone have put them side by side and have anything to say about it?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

eupher61 wrote:I'm also curious about the "deep" feel of the Eastman. The Conn never felt comfortable to me, moreso LOOKING at it than actually playing it. But it was/is a deep instrument, which seems to present all sorts of possible complications from bags to hard cases to simply carrying the thing. My six pack abs are more like a keg, so there is a basis of concern.
Hi-
Having owned and played one for over a month, I can tell you this horn is the most comfortable tuba to hold and play that I have to ever owned....period! No problems whatsoever. A great tuba. So very happy I bought one. Everyone needs to check these out.
Mark

PS. BTW, A Miraphone 1293 tuba gig bag fits the horn like a glove...
Last edited by bisontuba on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayla
bugler
bugler

Post by Kayla »

bisontuba wrote:
eupher61 wrote:I'm also curious about the "deep" feel of the Eastman. The Conn never felt comfortable to me, moreso LOOKING at it than actually playing it. But it was/is a deep instrument, which seems to present all sorts of possible complications from bags to hard cases to simply carrying the thing. My six pack abs are more like a keg, so there is a basis of concern.
Hi-
Having owned and played one for over a month, I can tell you this horn is the most comfortable tuba to hold and play that I have to ever owned....period! No problems whatsoever. A great tuba. So very happy I bought one. Everyone needs to check these out.
Mark
I completely agree with the comfort. It fits -me- very well and I don't have to use a tuba stand. My arms aren't contorted in order to reach the slides or valves.

The sound is fantastic. I played my teacher's horn on two different occasions and have fallen in love. For a smaller tuba it puts out a big sound. I plan to own one within the next month.

Congrats Matt, this tuba is awesome!
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Thanks, Mark and Kayla. Music to my ears. Or something.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:I'm waiting for the Eastman Kodiak...hopefully with Instamatic linkage. :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes...That tuba plays well, Matt. 8)
:P :P :P
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Can one of the owners post a photo of the engraving? Looks pretty elaborate, I'd like to see more of it!
Timswisstuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Timswisstuba »

J.c. Sherman wrote:
eutubabone wrote:Bill,
That horn looks like the size of the Piggy I have. What would you say are the similarities and differences(besides rotary & .835 bore on the Piggy).

Brent
" target="_blank They're about a similar as a taco and a hamburger.
I'm waiting for a tuba which is both taco and hamburger. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

In the meantime, here's a taco that comes close. https://vimeo.com/90127834" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bort wrote:Can one of the owners post a photo of the engraving? Looks pretty elaborate, I'd like to see more of it!

eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Wow, even the engraving is outstanding!!
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Slick! Thanks "Mark"! :P
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Hey,
That is a Gnagey in the background. They are very close in design and feel. I've used my Gnagey a lot since 2007 playing lots of crazy long gigs in bars or weird places. The differences I found were that the Eastman played a little tighter in the mid and upper range and a little more open in the low range. That might be that my Gnagey has an older valve set, although the compression is still quite good and that the 5th seems to be a little bigger and on the other side of the main tuning slide.

My Gnagey has a York bell and a special sound and it was hard to me to tell if the Eastman would make that type of sound too. I'm a little torn if I should fix up my Gnagey a bit or sell it and get an Eastman. It's a super tough call for me.
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

58mark wrote:okay, I'll bite. What are the improvements over the 56j that this horn has?
The valve section is set more into the body of the horn than the 56J. I remember the 56J being a sensation when it first came out but so many re-designed horns have some out since then it's no wonder Conn quit making them.
eupho wrote:Wow, even the engraving is outstanding!!
The engraving is done by machine and looks spectacular on the Shires trombones as well.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

I played one of these at NAMM this year and was blown away. Wonderful horn.

I also had the pleasure of tooting on a prototype of a big German-style rotary BBb. Anyone else try that one? I'd have a hard time choosing between the two (very differen) horns.
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

Having owned a:

Yamaha 661
Rudy 3/4
BMB Eb Tuba

The nimbleness of the horn matches that of Miraphone 1292. The low register and high register is effortless (especially compared to my past horns). I would recommend this tuba to anyone. Not to mention that for once when I had left Dillons, I didn't feel like I had left with a lesser quality horn after playing their stock of horns. I sincerely hope this horn takes off in the market. It deserves it.

You owe it to yourself as a tuba player to try these horns if you have not already.
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Forgot to mention--Dillon Music--both Steve & Matt are there--have the new Eastman CC tuba at NERTEC ( amazing since they can't keep them in stock due to high sales)--if you're going to NERTEC-play the horn!!
Mark
Kayla
bugler
bugler

Post by Kayla »

Did anyone order the hard case available from Eastman with this horn? I'm receiving mine through Music and Arts, and our research department came back with an option to order a Eastman brand (forget the model) hard case with wheels. I went ahead with it so the tuba would be shipped with a case.

Any experiences with this case? Pictures?
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

Played on an Eastman BBb horn at CASMEC and was blown away. It was a 4/4 horn, and boy could that thing resonate. Their 3+1 compensating euph was pretty great too, for me it was a little better than an 842S. I really want to try out their CC tuba.
Timmm
bugler
bugler

Post by Timmm »

Does anyone have videos or audio files of this horn being played? I haven't been able to find any.

:tuba:
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

I can't wait until the new shipment at Dillon comes in.
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I'm going to play mine for the first time in a group this evening. Can't wait!

And I still plan on producing a review video with this horn, as soon as I find some time...

DK
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp