Recording Bell Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I'm pretty sure that Meinl Weston still makes them...if you really want one and are willing to pay for it.

Meinl Weston is really good about taking on special requests and provides a lot of options to the customer if they order a horn through a dealer.

In fact, one entire Meinl Weston brochure I have is dedicated to the tuba options. Of course I have no idea where it is at the moment, so I can't check things out, but I seem to recall that they offered a recording bell. If nothing else, it was part of the anniversary edition of the Bell Model.

Miraphone might offer the option as well. Someone like Charlie Krause could tell you for sure.

I'm not sure if anyone else offers them.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Most of the big Martins that are still wandering around are recording-bell models. Unless I'm getting very forgetful, several manufacturers charged extra for the recording bell.

...and like anything else, some recording bell tubas sound better than others. But one does force you to have cleaner articulation and attacks if you're going to blend in with the upright-bell cousins.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Last edited by imperialbari on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: King tuba: bell front

Post by Dan Schultz »

Dave M. wrote:In my avatar, you will see a King Tuba, made sometime in the 20's. Does anyone know what model this would be? I know the pic is small, but maybe someone might recognize it.

Dave M.
If your King has a fixed bell it is most likely a model 1235. I had two of them and recently sold the three valve one and still play a four valve version. Mine were made in 1934-35.

Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Last edited by imperialbari on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Last edited by imperialbari on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

imperialbari wrote:I can't find any homepage for the Glassl company, which makes me wonder a bit, as this company actually is up-front with at least three instrument types: precious metal alto trombones, fiberglass 4 piston sousaphones in Eb and BBb, plus rotary valve fiberglass tubas.
Easy enough to google:

http://www.musik-glassl.de/

Enjoy!
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Last edited by imperialbari on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Recording Bell Tubas

Post by Steve Marcus »

David Shriver wrote:Last night at the NABBA reading band two of the tuba players were using recording bell horns on the BBb part.
I sat between those two horns in the NABBA Reading Band. The gentleman to my left was playing a 3-valve Martin with a huge throat and 26" forward bell. The younger gentleman to my right was playing a Conn 24J that appeared in remarkably good condition.
If you ever get the chance to do the NABBA reading band, don't miss the chance. 80 brass players playing together for 2 hours! Its great fun.
Absolutely. It was well-organized and scheduled to sample as much music as possible in the alloted time.

My favorite chart that we read was Steve Sykes' arrangement of "The Cowboys" by John Williams.

Steve Marcus
BBb Bass, Chicago Brass Band
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia