A Place to Practice in Brooklyn?

The bulk of the musical talk
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Re: A Place to Practice in Brooklyn?

Post by bighonkintuba »

Noise produced by neighbors playing musical instruments appears to fall under common courtesy 'guidelines' (no specific ordinance regarding hours or volume):
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_code_guide.pdf" target="_blank

unlike noise from construction, dogs, leaf blowers etc.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

roweenie wrote:When I had an apartment in NYC (1980s - the "good old days", before Times Square was an urban version of Disneyland), practicing was allowed by law until 11 PM.
We can thank Mayor Foot-in-Mouth for Disneyland Northeast. :(
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I've run across lots of public tuba playing in the city... but in 6.5 years, none on the subway. Lots of violins, guitars (of course), motown man, some mariachi bands, and the haunting Asian one-string instruments. I've played exactly once down there. Left a rehearsal and the train took forever, so we all pulled out some tunes and played for a little while. It is LOUD down there.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bighonkintuba wrote:
roweenie wrote:When I had an apartment in NYC (1980s - the "good old days", before Times Square was an urban version of Disneyland), practicing was allowed by law until 11 PM.
We can thank Mayor Foot-in-Mouth for Disneyland Northeast. :(
Warren Wilhelm is thankful for Mayor F-i-M right about now.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Don't forget that you can practice on your mouthpiece anytime, anywhere (just about). You can also work on simply singing your recital pieces.
Andy
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

bighonkintuba wrote: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_code_guide.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank
That construction worker looks like he is about to saw off his left hand :shock:

I went to a locksmithing school in Times Square 89-90. I remember seeing someone get stabbed right in front of the building. I also remember regularly seeing broken car windows near the music school I was attending uptown. I think one board member even had a tuba stolen out of a trunk nearby. Sometimes the good old days weren't so good.
bighonkintuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bighonkintuba »

Driving/walking around the area on the way to/from my first R.C. TubaChristmas in 1978 was certainly an eye-opener.

I lived under the full Giuliani-Bloomberg corporate fascist/police-state regime. Great if you're a tourist who mainlines Disney pablum, M&Ms, Old Navy and other contrived crap that serve as fun/entertainment. Bad if you were a resident with roots in your community displaced in favor of corporate interests and gentrification. Times Square should absolutely have been fixed - for the benefit of residents. What evolved wasn't a fix. It's a train wreck.

Don't worry, nothing will change. The current mayor is just another corporate Democrat shill/lapdog - effectively the same as any corporate Republican shill/lapdog.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Memphis may some day be fortunate enough that people will say "you know, I liked it better when it was a dangerous, filthy, ghetto!!"
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:There's been (and continues to be) a mass exodus of those (typically) whose incomes currently range from $80K - $120K from urban centers, as an attempt to avoid being squeezed. Those who remain behind, inevitably, are subject to routine shake-downs...
What I have observed in Baltimore, New York, and Minneapolis in the last 15 years is that the "mass exodus" is more directly correlated to 20- and 30-somethings having kids and moving to the suburbs. In my neighborhood in Baltimore, it was almost comical -- as soon as you see a homeowner with a stroller, the for-sale (or for-rent) sign goes up. It's a little different in NYC, because people there typically seem in it for the long haul, and moving to the suburbs can easily be MORE expensive than living in the city (housing costs, taxes, and transit rates -- not to mention calculating the time wasted commuting every day).

Here in Minneapolis, there are a lot of new buildings going up (including a new tower a block or two from me -- very good news!). I don't doubt that there are still many urban centers that are seeing masses of people leaving, but it hasn't been my experience.

More than this... some people (like me) are just city folk. I'm not afraid of much about city living and know how to take care of myself. On the other hand, put me in a rural setting and I'd be scared of the dark and empty streets at night, even if I knew that everyone was just at home and sleeping.
ginnboonmiller
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ginnboonmiller »

Geez, guys. The kid just wanted to know where he could practice. I don't understand how you get two (three!) pages of conversation about how people that live/have lived in New York are happy about it and people that chose not to move there are happy about that.

I've been thinking about moving to the suburbs lately, especially because my wife misses gardening (and I miss grilling). But I expect I'll need a different job that pays more or is closer to the new home or otherwise more gratifying in order to justify the increased commute.

Have a great day!