Martin 6/4 tuning bits

The bulk of the musical talk
CA Transplant
bugler
bugler

Re: Martin 6/4 tuning bits

Post by CA Transplant »

I'd think they would work, as long as the primary receivers are standard. I guess the only way to find out would be to get a set of the Jupiter bits and try.
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

I used Bundy sousaphone bits for years - until I got a set of Martin Wilk's repro Martin bits for my Martin Mammoth. Treat yourself to a set of these and really enjoy your Martin the way it's supposed to play and sound.

Mark Heter
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

I've been told by a reliable source that Jupiter bits will not work (fit) in a Martin setup, although I have no experience with them myself.

The original Martin bit sets are cylindrical inside, without the inner "bumps" that two sousaphone bits create. In other words, the Martin bits are not just sousa bits with tension screws added, but are fitted with each end butting into the end of the other with the same diameter. In that sense, they are truly an articulated leadpipe. Martin Wilk also built two custom sets for me, one that is tapered and one with a venturi. The differences are very slight and yet totally change the playing characteristics of the instrument.

I agree that the usual sousa style setup has negative effects on the response of an instrument. I've had all my sousas, (King, Conn 40K ) equipped with Martin style upper leadpipes and bits which enables a direct comparison. Everyone who has tried them is amazed at the improvement in response with the Martin style setup. Another plus is that the dern things don't fall out!

I know of one Martin that was equipped with Bundy bits (the originals were missing) and they did not work well at all.

That is a Martin bit in the photograph, but some older Martins used a standard receiver. I've also encountered differences in the receivers that were large enough to prevent some bits from working in some horns.

Joe, I'd be happy to send you set on loan for you to see for yourself.

Paul
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.