proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Does anyone know where I can find a recording of the Mozart Horn Concerto for Tuba?
ANY silly record store.

Search for "mozart horn concertos" in google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mozart+h ... 8&oe=utf-8

The VERY first link is
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8?v=glance
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Mozart horn concerto recording

Post by JB »

tubamantk wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a recording of the Mozart Horn Concerto for Tuba?
The third concerto (K. 447) seems to be the most often performed by tubists. Although there are a number of fine recordings, the Dennis Brain recording is my favourite -- and is a fine example to study.

EMI - CDH 7610132: Mozart Horn Concertos
Dennis Brain, horn
Herbert von Karajan, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra

You may also wish to listen to another more recent, yet very very fine recording by current Boston Symphony princiapl horn player Jamie Sommerville.
SMCD5172 (CBC) Mozart Horn Conertos
James Sommerville, horn
Mario Bernardi, conductor
CBC Vancouver Orchestra

I do not know if anyone has ever recorded them with tuba, but either of these recordings would be excellent examples of how to play them -- perhaps simply consider the solo instrument an "alto tuba" rather than a bass tuba!

Happy listening and good luck.
crbarnes
bugler
bugler

Did You Mean?

Post by crbarnes »

If you are looking for a recording of a tuba playing a Mozart horn concerto, the only one I am aware of is Arnold Jacobs with a director's band, but the quality of the recording is not great. Seems like it is on the "Portrait of an Artist" CD, but don't quote me on that. If you want to have one of the best interpretations of Mozart, then I second, third and fourth the Dennis Brain recording, now reissued and remastered on CD. Good thing, as my old vinyl was getting pretty scratchy. His recording of the Strauss horn concertos is also great and they are fun on a tuba as well.
Let's face it, if the modern tuba had been around for Mozart and Strauss, they would have seen the error of their ways and written these for tuba in the first place. :lol:
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
corbasse
3 valves
3 valves

Post by corbasse »

Although you're not exactly after a historically informed performance playing this on tuba ;), you could try a few of the more recent recordings, even some on natural horn.
Brain and Von Karajan are among the most important musicians of the 20th century. and these recordings are among the best ones available. However, there has been a big change in the views on how to perform late 18th century music since these recordings were made.
The last movement of the 1st concerto isn't even the same anymore!

Some suggestions
Michael Hoeltzel - Camerata Academia Saltzburg (on modern horn, but this one takes on board a lot of modern insights in historical interpretation)
Anthony Halstead - Academy of Ancient Music (natural horn, one of the standard recordings for natural horn players)
Hermann Baumann - Concentus Musicus Wien (one of the earliest "historical" ones. A lot has changed since this recording ;))
mdc2d
bugler
bugler

Horn Concertos...

Post by mdc2d »

The recording on the Arnold Jacobs'Portrait of an Artist' CD is of a Strauss Horn Concerto, not a Mozart. MC
crbarnes
bugler
bugler

Re: Horn Concertos...

Post by crbarnes »

mdc2d wrote:The recording on the Arnold Jacobs'Portrait of an Artist' CD is of a Strauss Horn Concerto, not a Mozart. MC
My bad, thanks for the accuracy. Goes to show you what happens when you rely on your memory :)
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~