stand that goes LOW

The bulk of the musical talk
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

stand that goes LOW

Post by MaryAnn »

I need a stand that will go as low as 12 inches. Baltimore Brass only goes to 16. anybody have anything that goes down to 12? I'm thinking I'm going to have to make something but the adjustable-ness will be a problem. Scissors jack in a box seems like not a bad idea.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Re: stand that goes LOW

Post by eupher61 »

OK...'splain this one! Why?
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... Stand.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

I bought this one that enabled kids to hold big tubas. It worked as intended, but the screw threads got stripped relatively quickly.
aaronliu
bugler
bugler

Post by aaronliu »

Good luck on this, MaryAnn! It's neat to see how helpful experienced tubaists are being to you.

I would like to find out what you choose and how it works for you.

I just started tuba and I'm going through the same issues that you are about playing position, etc.
ScottM
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottM »

I too am vertically challenged. I ended up modifying a DEG stand by cutting the two tubes to the proper length. Pretty easy to do actually.
ScottM
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Oh...a TUBA stand, not a music stand....duh. :oops:
tubajon
bugler
bugler

Post by tubajon »

It's not hard to make one out of a wooden base and galvanized or black iron pipe. Easy to adjust too. I can explain in more detail and send some pictures if you need.
Untersatz
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Untersatz »

The stand that TubaMM sells on their site for $64 is well made & very sturdy. It goes all the way down to 12 3/4"
They also used to have them on eBay (which is where I bought mine) but I don't see them there anymore.
http://tubamm.com/accessories.html" target="_blank
M&M tuba rest.jpg
King 2341 (New Style)
B&S PT-600 (GR55) BBb
Blokepiece "Symphony"
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have one of the M & M stands and honestly cannot recommend them. Get a drum throne to sit on. Problem solved.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Untersatz
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Untersatz »

TubaTinker wrote:I have one of the M & M stands and honestly cannot recommend them. Get a drum throne to sit on. Problem solved.
Are we talking about the same stand Dan??? :shock:
I've been using mine with a BAT for 2 years and haven't had any problems at all. As a matter of fact, this stand looks way sturdier & better made than most others I've seen! It is adjustable with the tripod legs and in the shaft that the saddle is mounted on, there are holes about every inch with a 1/4" pin so the adjustable range is awesome. I'd be very curious to know the reason why you wouldn't recommend them?
King 2341 (New Style)
B&S PT-600 (GR55) BBb
Blokepiece "Symphony"
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Untersatz wrote:..... Are we talking about the same stand Dan??? :shock: ...
Yup. But I won't discuss it here. I sent you a PM.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

2nd the drum throne. I forgot my tuba stand one day and used a throne as replacement. Works so much better.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Hercules Stands; which I use for my trombones, guitars, and pretty much everything; have just come out with a tuba stand #DS553B in their catalog. I am in the process of ordering mine to replace my old DEG which didn't go low enough and didn't last as well as I would have liked. These come with two tops to the rest so you can choose what you prefer, flat vs curved, and it lowers to 12.6"

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS553B-E ... 11969361_2" target="_blank

I do not know why Amazon insists on listing it as a euphonium stand in the link, but it is for a tuba.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
luke_hollis
bugler
bugler

Post by luke_hollis »

When I have low chairs, I usually stack 2 together to elevate the seat a bit.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I keep reading the drum throne stuff first one way and then another. Raising my self will cause my legs to dangle; I barely get my feet on the floor with a standard folding chair. Dangling legs are very uncomfortable.

I'll check out the suggestions, thanks. Perhaps this is the wrong tuba for me and I need one that comes with a lower leadpipe. I did not anticipate these ergonomic problems with a rotary tuba. Both my previous tubas just rested on the chair.
zatoichi
lurker
lurker

Post by zatoichi »

I believe that this new stand from Hercules might work for you.

http://www.herculesstands.com/band/DS553B.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

I think it's available from Amazon, and maybe other Hercules retailers.

Ernest
aqualung
bugler
bugler

Post by aqualung »

I had to play a couple of gigs on a behemoth Besson 993, and I am short-waisted. I also am a cheapskate.
The other BBb player suggested I use an inverted 5gal bucket. I masked it with a dark cloth.
It was a lightweight and economical solution.
You could do the same, just use a smaller bucket.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

The DEG stands can be modified to go lower. I seem to remember taking a file to the inside tube and cutting one or large grooves down it to allow it to descend past the pin that holds the stand together.
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

MaryAnn wrote:I keep reading the drum throne stuff first one way and then another. Raising my self will cause my legs to dangle; I barely get my feet on the floor with a standard folding chair. Dangling legs are very uncomfortable.

I'll check out the suggestions, thanks. Perhaps this is the wrong tuba for me and I need one that comes with a lower leadpipe. I did not anticipate these ergonomic problems with a rotary tuba. Both my previous tubas just rested on the chair.
FYI, I don't sit on the drum throne, I sit on a chair and put my tuba on the throne.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
cctubaneeds
bugler
bugler

Post by cctubaneeds »

I use the Hercules stands at work with kids. Sure, they aren't cheap but Hercules makes high quality products(very durable). I strongly recommend them. And sure they say 12.6" but the center can be lowered further and I am sure it will be low enough for you.
JP379CC
Boosey & Co Solbron Eb - 4v Comp