Tuba Recommendations for a College Freshman

The bulk of the musical talk
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Tuba Recommendations for a College Freshman

Post by michael_glenn »

The tuba I own is my favorite I've ever played. And for what it's worth, it was built long before I was born. (Built in 1979!) just because it doesn't look new doesn't mean that it's not going to play better than a new tuba. I love my Hirsbrunner. :tuba:
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
Kayla
bugler
bugler

Post by Kayla »

I'm downsizing my equipment and going with the new Eastman EBC632 CC tuba. It's similar to the King in size. Great sound, easy to play, and the lacquer model price is about half of the Kanstul . It should be plenty of tuba for him. Of course, follow up with the teacher.

These guys are on back order, I'm expecting mine in late May.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Check the thread regarding the Eastman ECB-632 that was designed by Matt Walters. Great reviews by people who know what they are talking about.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
TubaZac2012
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TubaZac2012 »

Get a Wisemann 900. Call Tom, the Wisemann is the best CC out there for the money, from what I've played. I haven't played the Eastman, and I'm not a fan of 4/4 horns, so I'd so get something that should last forever, unless you wanted to make the plunge into 6/4 land.
Zac Riley
Shoals Community Band
Twickenham Winds
Huntsville Brass Band Contrabass Tuba
Madison Community Symphony Orchestra
York/King/Reynolds Custom Tabor Build Franken York CC
J.Harris
bugler
bugler

Post by J.Harris »

TubaZac2012 wrote:Get a Wisemann 900. Call Tom, the Wisemann is the best CC out there for the money, from what I've played. I haven't played the Eastman, and I'm not a fan of 4/4 horns, so I'd so get something that should last forever, unless you wanted to make the plunge into 6/4 land.
First off, a college freshman doesn't need a "forever" horn, whatever that is. Everyone's needs change as they progress through their musical life, so trying to anticipate what you may need in 5-6 years seems impractical if not impossible. A college freshman needs a do-everything-pretty-darn-well horn. They need something they can play for solo works, quintet and large ensembles. A 4/4 CC probably suits that purpose better than anything else. The Eastman mentioned previously may be just the ticket at a very reasonable price.

Secondly, I would never recommend a 6/4 tuba for a first horn. Who would? A 6/4 is basically a specialty instrument used mostly for large ensemble work.

Zac, you seem like a well-intentioned fellow, and it's laudable that you want to put in your $.02 so to speak, but I don't really think you have enough experience to be making such recommendations.
Jason C. Harris
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I think your son needs to thank his mom for being willing to buy him a tuba. Second, if he doesn't like what mom can afford, he can solve that problem by getting a job and saving up to buy whatever he would like.
I would again contact his teacher and ask what the teacher would recommend WITHIN the budget of mom and since the teacher had recommended a used instrument previously, I wouldn't hesitate to go in that direction if a used instrument that the teacher recommends is available and falls within the budget.
The very best of luck.
Mark
KTurner
bugler
bugler

Post by KTurner »

It is advisable to think of a good instrument as part of the College tuition. As with most things, you get what you pay for. And unfortunately we are equipment dependant. Over my long teaching career I have seen over and over again incoming students/parents making their own decisions (without teacher input) regarding new tubas, only to be upset in the long run because their cheap instrument is substandard. In almost every case, the student will hear professionals or advanced players in College playing a C and an F tuba, and then they want to switch. They want to be on the same page/playing field. I have seen this time after time. Generally speaking, in the U.S., Bb tubas are regarded as student or Military band instruments. There's nothing wrong with them, but it's just the way it is.
If your son is serious about the tuba, it is imperative that you do everything possible to get the right instrument/s from the get go. I recommend a 5/4 size C tuba, AND a 5 or 6/4 F tuba. I would avoid the Chinese copies.
My 2 cents.
Kyle Turner
Tuba teacher, Manhattan School of Music
Tuba teacher, Montclair State University
Buffet Group tuba artist
http://www.kyleturnertuba.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Not sure where my post went (maybe I never actually posted it)?

My recommendations:
-- Buy used, it will hold its value better if/when you sell to upgrade/change later.
-- Don't spend $9,000, look closer to $6,000
-- A few model suggestions:
* Miraphone 188, 1291, or 1292
* Meinl Weston 2145 or 2155
* B&S PT-3, PT-4, or PT-20
* Yamaha 822CC

Rotary or piston, just go with personal preference. I would avoid anything much bigger or smaller than those horns. Listen to your son's teacher, and do as close to what he suggests as possible. While it might not be the "correct" answer for your son for all of eternity, it's a good start and will get him to the next phase of his education and playing career.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

I don't really think a brand new tuba is the smartest choice for a beginning college freshman, right now is really the time when your son is going to begin to grow as a musician exponentially and begin to realize what he prefers in a horn and what really works for him, and of course his instructor will help a lot with this and while I'm still in school myself I can tell you that my taste has changed drastically and something I once thought was amazing I now consider pretty "standard". Now assuming the university absolutely cannot lend or loan him a horn, buying used is probably the smartest choice, and the tubenet community has tons of very experienced pros who can lead you in the right path and many have very good horns that they are selling for much less than 9k, just off the top of my head Im pretty sure there is a silver Miraphone 186 that was restored going for 5k which imo would be a very good first horn for just about anyone it's not called the standard of tubas for nothing and they are very resellable in the case that your son decides to part with it later. Good luck with your endeavors hope I helped a bit.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Tubas are expensive. Buy the best one(s) you can afford. Personally, I think buying a quality used tuba is the best route. Also keep in mind that buying a tuba is a personal choice. You (or your parents) are shelling out a lot a money. So, you should get something that makes YOU happy. A good teacher will help guide you to quality tubas that "fit" you and your playing style/sound concept, and not force any particular key/model upon you.

I don't have any personal experience with the Wisemann and Eastman tubas, but they seem to get glowing reviews on here. Some on here say they play even better than the originals, and are built just as well. I'd like to try them and find out myself :!:
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

Buying a used horn is a very good idea. If you buy a brand new horn, and he decides it's not quite right for him, or he quits? You WILL lose money when selling it. With a used horn, you will lose much less, break even, or if you happen to get an AMAZING deal, you might make $100 or something.

I can attest to this... I played on a rotary BBb tuba in high school. I thought I wanted a piston CC. I was wrong. Rotors ended up being much more comfortable for me. So I sold my piston cc and bought a rotary cc. If I would have bought my piston CC new? I would have lost a couple thousand dollars. Instead, I managed to break even.

Tastes and needs change. Buy a used horn that would be easy to resell for the amount you paid (+/- a few dollars), rather than losing hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

The MACK Brass 410 or Wessex CC tubas are great horns (and have great warranties). Your son should try out both piston and rotary style tubas and see which one works better for him. If you can, you should buy a used horn to save on cost and possibly consult some of the local tuba teachers on their recommendations to start looking for. A nice 4/4 horn should be fine for school, I made the mistake of purchasing a 5/4 CC tuba when I honestly didn't need it for what I was doing at school.
waymona
lurker
lurker

Post by waymona »

I remember coming to this board four years ago for recommendations for my son who was heading off to college. I don’t know if anyone is still here, but I thought I’d update everyone who helped us way back then! :) We ended up purchasing a used Kanstul 90-S, which he still uses to this day. He will graduate college in May with a B.M.E. and he’s been accepted into the Master of Music in Conducting program at Oklahoma City University! I am very proud of him. Now, his younger brother is about to graduate high school, and we’re in the same boat again! He’s looking for a used 4/4 CC piston valve tuba for college. If anyone has any leads, I would be eternally grateful! Time flies!!!
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Congrats on your son :!: :tuba:
waymona wrote: Now, his younger brother is about to graduate high school, and we’re in the same boat again! He’s looking for a used 4/4 CC piston valve tuba for college. If anyone has any leads, I would be eternally grateful! Time flies!!!
There are, right now, a few 4/4 piston CC tubas for sale on this board, including a couple Conn 56J tubas and a Kalison DS. In the "For Sale By Owner" section here :idea: