Tuba Recommendations for a College Freshman

The bulk of the musical talk
waymona
lurker
lurker

Tuba Recommendations for a College Freshman

Post by waymona »

Hi. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

My son is entering college this fall with a full academic and band scholarship. Yes, I'm proud. :) However, we are arguing about how much tuba he needs for college. Unfortunately, my pockets aren't deep, but I'm trying to be reasonable with him. I'm not having to pay for college, after all!

He's currently playing a school-owned King 2341 4/4 BBb horn. He wants a brand new Kanstul 90-S 4/4 CC horn. That thing is expensive! I feel like there has got to be some sort of middle ground upon which we can agree.

Does a college freshman need such a horn? There's no specific requirement by his college. My son swears that he's reached the ceiling on the horn he's playing and that he needs to advance to a CC horn because "that's the most versatile horn and that's what professionals play". He even went so far as to tell me that if he didn't get this horn, he wouldn't be able to get a job out of college. Teenage drama! lol He does have me at a disadvantage, though, because I know very little about the subject.

Maybe I'm the one being unreasonable thinking he doesn't need a $9000 horn. But I still don't think he needs a $9000 horn! :)

Thanks again for any help you can offer!
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuba Recommendations for a College Freshman

Post by ronr »

What's the college have to offer? Private teacher?
waymona
lurker
lurker

Post by waymona »

The University has a Professor of Tuba and Euphonium, and my son will receive private instruction from her every week.
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

That would be the first person I'd talk to before even thinking about buying a horn
waymona
lurker
lurker

Post by waymona »

She recommended a 5-valve CC horn but gave us no other specifics. She did give him some information about a used Melton Meinl Weston 2145 that someone was selling, but my son claims he doesn't like it. Another music professor from whom my son takes lessons had one for sale, too. My son doesn't have nice things to say about that horn. lol
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jose the tuba player »

why not this 902? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanstul-Model-9 ... 4d30b6c508" target="_blank
and don't forget that you'll also have to buy a case since they do not come with cases.
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

Check the For Sale board. I believe Doc has a Kanstul 90S for sale. It looks to be in excellent condition - if I recall correctly he bought it new not that terribly long ago. I think he posted a nice review as well. I have tried a 90S and found it to be an excellent do-it-all tuba that offers a nice American-flavored sound (as in York).
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jose the tuba player »

Last edited by Jose the tuba player on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

waymona wrote: He even went so far as to tell me that if he didn't get this horn, he wouldn't be able to get a job out of college.
There are a couple of topics regarding this issue on the board.

Should be Required Reading for Freshman Music Majors 101!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

waymona wrote:.....

Does a college freshman need such a horn? There's no specific requirement by his college. My son swears that he's reached the ceiling on the horn he's playing and that he needs to advance to a CC horn because "that's the most versatile horn and that's what professionals play". He even went so far as to tell me that if he didn't get this horn, he wouldn't be able to get a job out of college. Teenage drama! lol He does have me at a disadvantage, though, because I know very little about the subject.

Maybe I'm the one being unreasonable thinking he doesn't need a $9000 horn. But I still don't think he needs a $9000 horn! :)
What professionals?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62173" target="_blank

-"A poor craftsman blames his tools"

____
Quips and one-liners aside, fine a nice used CC tuba, with the help of the prof. Depending on your location you should be able to get something that will retain it's value for around $4k-$6k. Good models, (like those in the above topic, but some others too). You never know if your son will change his mind, so reselling a horn (whatever the reason) might be on the table some day soon.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

Ask your son's future private teacher for more details on the type of CC tuba she likes. This goes for any student. ALWAYS ask your private teacher. You have to live with them for four years and they have a grade hanging over your head.

Also, in this country, the CC tuba is the instrument that is primarily used. But, the statement that all professionals use CC tubas is not accurate. In both Germany and Russia, the BBb is the choice of professional players. Even in this country the BBb is used is/was used in some orchestras. Herbert Wekselblatt, the long-time tubist of the Metropolitan Opera in New York played a BBb tuba. Everett Gilmore, formerly of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra also played a BBb tuba. Ross Tolbert, formerly of the Minnesota Orchestra was also a BBb player. James Jenkins of the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra currently plays BBb.

Another possibility for a more affordable new tuba are the Chinese clones. two of my students have them, one BBb and one CC. They are god copies of German designed tubas. They are well built, play quite well in tune and cost about 1/3 of the price of the tuba from which they are copied. The JZ (brand name) tuba is my personal favorite.

I don't know in what part of the country you live, but, if you can get to Baltimore, Maryland and visit Baltimore Brass Company, Dave Fedderly has a large variety of tubas for trial and sale. Dillon Music in Woodbridge, New Jersey is another place to seriously consider visiting.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Best way -- pick your budget, then pick your horn. You can pretty easily get away without even spending half of $9,000.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

waymona wrote:She recommended a 5-valve CC horn but gave us no other specifics. She did give him some information about a used Melton Meinl Weston 2145 that someone was selling, but my son claims he doesn't like it. Another music professor from whom my son takes lessons had one for sale, too. My son doesn't have nice things to say about that horn. lol
That's more reason to check with his prospective teacher. He may not like them now, but after a few years of intensive study his opinion may change: buy him a horn he likes now that he may grow out of or get him a good horn he may grow into.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Jay Bertolet
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jay Bertolet »

There are a few things you need to consider:

1) Does the school your son is going to attend have an instrument that he can play? Currently his high school is loaning him an instrument, perhaps the college can do the same.

2) There's simply no validity at all to the argument that a CC tuba is required to win a job. That's bunk. The posters that have already advised you to check with his new teacher are completely correct. I've never worked with a teacher that specified the key of horn I would need for my contrabass tuba. What matters is how he sounds on the horn, not what key it is in. Further, you may wish to consider that something also required to win a job (unless he's auditioning for a military band position) is a bass tuba (Eb or F). Bass tubas can run just as expensive as contrabass so thinking ahead might really help in the longer term.

3) Despite the excellent suggestions from the previous posters, nobody here really knows what tuba is best for your son. The only way to know that is to go try instruments until you find one that really works. If you rush that process, you're just asking to take a financial bath. Reselling instruments because you found a better one later usually results in a cumbersome process that is complex and expensive. While it is highly unlikely that his first tuba will be his ultimate tuba anyway, the financial considerations alone should be sufficient motivation to proceed with an abundance of caution. Without knowing your son at all, I would be really surprised if even he knew what tubas out there would best fit him at this stage of his development. The teacher's guidance and a lot of trial and error experience are the surest way to make a wise decision that you won't question rather quickly.

I've seen the process of finding a really good tuba take a couple of weeks. I've also seen that process take years. My students that have been successful have been patient and waited for the right tuba to come along. My unsuccessful students have jumped at the first opportunity and then had to resell later. Finding a usable horn (with the help of his new teacher) is the best short term option. Your son needs to be really clear to the teacher what type of career he's seeking. He also needs to listen to the teacher about what kinds of playing he'll need to be doing at college. The 2145 suggested might be a really great brass quintet tuba but you won't find many players winning symphony orchestra auditions with those as their main horn. That's why lots of time, discussion, and homework are required before plunking down your thousands of dollars. Good luck!
My opinion for what it's worth...

Principal Tuba - Miami Symphony, Kravis Pops
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor - Florida International University,
Broward College, Miami Summer Music Festival
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

nworbekim wrote: $10K is a LOT of $$$ these days.
It was even more back in my day!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

The suggestion of trying to use one owned by the school is a good one. First reason- it would give more time to know about playing the tuba and what works. If the school lets him use a 186CC. Second reason- if his mind changes at the end of the year, it can just be given back. If a purchase is necessary, the suggestions of getting a used horn are good. A used horn could be sold for the purchase price or close to it if it doesn't all work out. A new one can't.

The prospective new teacher could help with selection and might know of a school horn to use or knows someone who would allow a #2 spare backup horn to be used or rented.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Don't know where you are located but I would seriously recommend a visit to a place with a lot of tubas both new and used to try, has a great track record and has a person with great integrity and knowledge to assist you and your son in finding the right instrument at the right price for both your son & your pocketbook. I would highly recommend these four having done business with all of them.

Dillon Music in NJ with Matt Walters
Baltimore Brass in Baltimore with Dave Fedderly
Lee Stofer in Iowa just outside the Quad Cities.
Mid-South Music outside Memphis, TN with Joe S aka Bloke on this forum

All are excellent tuba players, with deep knowledge and truly nice folks. Don't be afraid to buy a used quality horn as what matters is how it plays - NOT how shiny it is. Plus down the road if he finds he needs a new sound or changes directions - a quality used horn will retain most of its value when you go to sell or trade it. Good Luck!
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

That list of dealers is the info you really need. Pricewise, aim down the middle and get a top brand at the used price, the costs drops by thousands and the horn can last a lifetime. You can sell or trade it at a minimal expense if you have to. My 'new' horn is 10 years old and I am thrilled with it.
MORE AIR
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

The tuba I own is my favorite I've ever played. And for what it's worth, it was built long before I was born. (Built in 1979!) just because it doesn't look new doesn't mean that it's not going to play better than a new tuba. I love my Hirsbrunner. :tuba:
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
Kayla
bugler
bugler

Post by Kayla »

I'm downsizing my equipment and going with the new Eastman EBC632 CC tuba. It's similar to the King in size. Great sound, easy to play, and the lacquer model price is about half of the Kanstul . It should be plenty of tuba for him. Of course, follow up with the teacher.

These guys are on back order, I'm expecting mine in late May.