Favorite recordings of Tchaik 5?

The bulk of the musical talk
TheChiefofStaph
bugler
bugler

Post by TheChiefofStaph »

Though this may draw sharp criticisms, but I very much prefer the Mravinsy/Leningrad Phil recording. The two main points of contention are the poor recording quality and some "volatile tempi." To the latter, I tend to disagree and find certain other recordings of this to be lackluster because of some slower tempi. As for the former, it's obvious that this was recorded almost 50 years ago, but I don't find that the quality is so bad that it's distracting. For wonderful musicaly and sheer intensity, this recording is my pick. I also really like Mravinsky/LPO Tchaik 4 from this set. The 6th leaves something to be desired.

This is not to say that other recordings are bad. The Szell/Cleavland is nice as well. Another good bet is Janson/Oslo Phil. For my money, though, Mravinsky is the way to go.

Ben
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

TheChiefofStaph wrote:I also really like Mravinsky/LPO Tchaik 4 from this set...Mravinsky is the way to go.
Mravinsky's final movement of the 4th moves like a bat (not a BAT) out of, err, Siberia. But every note is there. It's amazing.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

joemis wrote:I also like the Mravinsky. But my favorite has always been Kousevitzky and the Boston - maybe it's sentimental because I heard it first in a live peformance. Yes I'm that old!
The Kousevitsky Tchaik 4 was the one and only classical recording that my father owned. So it's a sentimental favorite for me, too.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Favorite recordings of Tchaik 5?

Post by tubapress »

Luke wrote:What are everybody's favorite recordings of Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony?

~Luke
There are so many recordings of this work it is staggering and thre are many I like for different reasons. There are 2 that really stand out to me though.

First, the Munich Philharmonic with Sergiu Celibidache on EMI. Any of you that are new to Celibidache's interpretations are in for a real treat. This performance is incredibly emotianally charged and comes from live performances back in the the late 80's, I believe. The orchestra plays exceptionally well and balances & intonation are impeccable (I guess they should after Celibidache's requirement of a minimum of 14 rehearsals!).

Also, Previn recorded this with the Royal Philharmonic on Telarc. Now, I'll be the first to say that I am NOT particularly a Previn fan. However, it seems that every time he teams up with one of the British orchestras magical things happen. I particularly love his fast tempo for the finale. The Telarc recording is fantastic: crips and clear with plenty of trombone/tuba presence.

Honorable mention: NY with Bernstein (vintage Warren Deck) / Rudolf Kempe with Berlin Phil. (I haven't heard anything this guy conducted that I haven't liked!)
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Tchaik 5

Post by tubacdk »

I was very fortunate to try a bargain recording, Masur's recording of Tchaik 4-6 with the Gewandhausorchester of Leipzig- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =classical
It's actually the recording that I prefer to listen to over others I own. Masur's tempi are very patient when they need to be but they just fly when they need to as well. The orchestra's ensemble blend is remarkable. The horn solo in the 2nd movement is very nice, one of the few times I've heard solo horn recorded with vibrato. It's not a mainstream horn sound but it's very suitable to the solo, imho. The tuba isn't overwhelmingly present in the blend, but it's there when it needs to be. Overall, it's a great recording that I think is more musical than most out there.

4&6 are very good as well. I think that for Sym.6 I prefer the CSO/Barenboim recording, tho it's tough to really decide. They're just so different.

-ck