Indian Trombones

The bulk of the musical talk
pastordale
lurker
lurker

Indian Trombones

Post by pastordale »

I am looking for a valve trombone at a reasonable price for a small budget. I'm too old to try to learn how to play a slide trombone. :( Does anyone have any feedback on the those coming from India?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Indian Trombones

Post by bisontuba »

Your money is better spent on a Chinese instrument...items from India--beware!
Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Ditto.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
butch
bugler
bugler

Post by butch »

bisontuba wrote:...items from India--beware!
Mark
+1

I once bought a small sousaphone from India. Crap!
Besson "New Standard" 3v comp BBb Tuba, 1974
H.N. White Cleveland 629 Sousaphone, 1965–1970?
Jupiter 596 Sousaphone, 2002
King 1165 Baritone, 1969
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Speaking of Indian brass instruments......has anyone here played the "big" (normal sized) sousaphone :| :?: If nothing else, the bracing on that thing looks very robust....
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've seen a few of the horns that are made in India. All have been basically unplayable. Intonation is horrid and the threaded parts are terrible.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

He's asking about a valve trombone. Those hardly qualify as real instruments as it is, so it doesn't really matter that it comes from India. If it won't play, oh well, you lost $50.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

10 years from now we'll all accept Chinese instruments as high quality and the first "good" instruments will start rolling out of India being imported and stenciled by several different importers to the US and Europe...
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I have my doubts about Indian instruments going the route of the Chinese ones; there is a different culture at work, and I've seen some things that indicate we won't see the same progression. A large international company started building power transformers in a factory in India, and the factory passed all the certifications to make them. My former employer bought two, and they were trash. The cultural viewpoint was that after the certifications were passed, nothing mattered any more and they could just throw the thing together. Certifications were just for show. So there were major failures upon inspection before being put into service, (such things as it would melt down if power were sent to it) and they had to be sent back to be re-done, postponing for at least a year very important system upgrades that they were intended for, affecting reliability.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'd take a ship to India to get cut up for scrap, but I wouldn't have one built there...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
pastordale
lurker
lurker

Post by pastordale »

Thank y'all who responded to my question about horns form India. I'm actually a tuba player who is too old to learn how to play a slide trombone so I;m trying to go the easy route. Y'all confirmed my suspicions. Hey Anonymouse, if a valve trombone is not really an instrument why is Cervenney making them in the Chec Republic.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I have a Bach Strad valve trombone, and my bone playing friends love it. Don't be afraid to get a nice one (mine came used with a Bach 16 hand slide as a two-for-one). It was half the price of new at the time.
MORE AIR