Most Audience-Friendly Tuba Solo Literature

The bulk of the musical talk
Bignick1357
bugler
bugler

Re: Most Audience-Friendly Tuba Solo Literature

Post by Bignick1357 »

I have always had great success with the Effie Suite. Its nice lyrical and it's got a funny story you can convey to the audience!
Nick Allen
USM Music Ed Student Class of 2014
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Usually, our instrument shines exhibiting the music written for others. VW, Gregson, Effie and others are "nice", but the classics are classics because they've entertained grillions of people for decades or centuries.

Victor Davies' concerto has gotten great audience reactions, so I'd encourage that. Horn music translates very well, so Strauss, etc. shine with us as they have for horn players. Tough blow, but worth the audience reaction!

Clarke, Arban, Llewellyn, Pryor, etc. are built to entertain, and entertain they do! Beelzebub does too, of course.

"If I only had a brain" always works, but doesn't cast us in the best light.

My favorite has always been Clarke's "Bride of the Waves". Do it well, and the end will have the audience leap out of their seats. It's perfect tuba music :)
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

jwjeffrey wrote:Question,why is it called Them Basses when it's nothing more than a soli number with the trombone section? Nothing against trombone because I play that as well.
Don't know for sure- maybe tuba players were in short supply at that time and place......
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

jwjeffrey wrote:Question,why is it called Them Basses when it's nothing more than a soli number with the trombone section? Nothing against trombone because I play that as well.
I guess the title really refers to "basses" in its more general meaning, because the soli also includes euphoniums, bass clarinet & bari sax (maybe tenor too?).