Nylon valve guides for the King 2341

The bulk of the musical talk
daveinem
bugler
bugler

Nylon valve guides for the King 2341

Post by daveinem »

This may be a very stupid question, but can I get nylon valve guides for my "new style" King 2341? I bought it assuming they would be nylon, but they are in fact noisy noisy steel ones...

Thanks!
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Boosey and Hawkes EEb
Leningrad EEb
Courtois AC 440 trombone
Conn 88H
Conn 8H
Besson New Standard
Courtois Alto trombone
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Nylon valve guides for the King 2341

Post by PaulMaybery »

Thanks Joe. Answers my question too.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

bloke wrote:(Get someone else to do this if you evaluate yourself as a "klutz". (I'm a klutz, but I just try to concentrate VERY hard...)
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
jamsav
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jamsav »

This is a significant improvement to the functionality and playability of this horn. Also swap out the springs for a set of coated Yamahas - quieter and faster= better!
http://www.westchestersymphonicwinds.org" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"
King 2341-MAW valves, GW Taku, Sellmansberger Symphony
Conn USN 20k, PT-44
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

Dan Schultz put me on to "cheese head" nylon screws for valve guides. These are now sported by my 1924 Buescher tuba and are a substantial improvement. I also have about 95 cheese head screws left over :shock: . So I'm good for a few years on the valve guide issue.

If you want to get a tap wrench instead of using the vise approach, Harbor Freight has a set of three (different sizes) that are a bit rough in terms of fit and finish, but are perfectly serviceable and quite cheap. A little work with a file or some emory paper makes these wrenches reasonably nice.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Where do you get "Cheese Head" nylon screws?
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

I don't recall where I got them :( . I remember doing a Google search. I may have got them from Ebay.

I bought a hundred for a few bucks. Send me an address and I'll drop some in the mail to you. It's helpful to have a couple of extras for the cases where you screw up while you're learning to trim them correctly. The biggest pain is shaving them down so they don't stick out too far into the guide channel. The length isn't really critical since they don't have to be very long and you can cut them shorter with a razor blade.

I also don't remember where I got the tap, but you generally can get those from auto stores (like NAPA) for as good a price as anywhere else, though they may need to order them, which takes a day or two.
Gary Merrill

Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I wonder if these SAE 3-48 size nylon screws could be made into valve guides for American-made tubas? No re-tapping would be necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00137MV1A/ref ... B00137MV1A
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

bloke wrote:Art's solution is best, as long as you feel confident that you can trim that head down to the shape of a valve guide...You have 96 "practice" ones in the pkg. :D
By the time I got to my third valve, I had it nailed. If I had more patience I would have done a few just for practice and experimenting more with "tools" (razor blade, X-acto knife, ...). I had even bought the Ferree's little "tool" for doing these things and found it pretty useless (at least for plastic guides). Also felt really silly since I could have made it myself. :oops:

One thing I was quite careful about (more good advice from Dan) was overtightening the nylon screw and breaking its shank off in the hole.

Another issue I ran into (partly because I was dealing with an almost-100 year old instrument), was that over time the guide channels had become somewhat degraded. They were rough along their lengths, and that got cleared up with some very careful work with a fingernail emery board and some 600 and 1200 grit emery paper. More bothersome was the fact that the tops of the channels had gotten peened a bit and so were narrower than the remainder of the channel. It took be a while to see what the problem was, but it was also easily cleared up with some careful filing.
Gary Merrill

Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

The obvious and simple solution for getting plastic valve guides in a king 2341 is to buy MAW valves....The come with plastic valve guides, all ready to go!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Art Hovey wrote:I wonder if these SAE 3-48 size nylon screws could be made into valve guides for American-made tubas? No re-tapping would be necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00137MV1A/ref ... B00137MV1A
I've used these and they work OK. The Nylon is a bit 'gummy' and it's easy to twist off the threads. That's not really a big deal but does take a bit of time to dig the old threads out.

I wish someone would market these screws made out of Delrin... which is a harder material and does not absorb water. If anyone runs across some please let me know.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

A dremel tool speeds up the initial trimming, and a fingernail file works well for the final fitting.

If you don't get them screwed in tight enough they tend to loosen with age, which makes insertion of the piston tricky when you do a lube job.

But if you screw them in too tightly, they break off, as Tinker has pointed out.