BMB Rubber Bands

The bulk of the musical talk
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

BMB Rubber Bands

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi all and Happy Father's Day to all of you Dads!! I was wondering if any of you, who play BMB tubas, have come up with an alternative to the small white rubber bands supplied with the tubas. Although I still think it is a smart idea and it works very well, the bands dry out rather quickly, break, and have to be replaced often. Has anyone discovered another alternative - different material?
Last edited by Bill Troiano on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: BMB Rubber Bands

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have not seen those yet. What are they used for? What is the size?

Surely there's an alternative material. If it's like a small O-ring... there may be some alternative materials listed at McMaster-Carr.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

Think I read here some owners use an elastic hair scrunchies to good affect.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Dan !!
I enclosed a couple of pictures. Some kind of small O ring might be a good idea.

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Maybe Mr. Barth could send you a supply of replacements?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hi Bill.
I have the BMB F and the CC BAT. Right from the 'get go" I replaced them with black neoprene O- rings. Gave them a couple of twists to adjust the tension. They've been on now for about a year and a half and are still just as good as new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Paul,
Today, after reading Dan's response to me, I tried using some O rings I had lying around. I tried one about the size of the BMB rubber bands, but there isn't much give in an O ring and I couldn't stretch it. So, I tried one about 1.5 in. in diameter. I was able to pull it over both posts, but the tension was too great for me to use it. You must have used a large O ring on your tuba.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hi Bill.
About 1 1/4 inch diameter and relatively thin. Ace Hardware has an assortment. They need to be about 2 to 3 times the size of the little white ones that came with the horn.
Happy Father's Day!!!
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Thanks, Paul. I'll check that out!!
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

BTW - I see your thumb ring is absent. Mine would not stay tight. Finally the screw snapped and then it needed to be soldered. Found a comfortable position and hit it with the torch.
I had to solder the brace several times to the 1st valve tubing and finally opted for a low temp silver solder. (Soft solder kept working loose.) Holds very well now.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

What the hell is wrong with manufacturers and suppliers! Tuba players pay big bucks for equipment that has rubber bands in place of conventional springs?

I think it's time to 'dig in' and demand better!

The term 'robust' should mean more than 'works for six months'!

Flame away.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Dan,

No flame from me (at least in your direction).

best,
Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
ajtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by ajtuba »

Mr. Barth told me that those little white rubber bands are used for tying back horse hair, and that you can buy them in packs of 300 for less than $5. That way you can have a ton of replacements for if they break. I owned the prototype Eb until recently (sadly), and it originally came with a clock spring to operate the 5th valve. It was very stiff and the action on the 5th lever was not at all smooth using the spring. Eventually the spring broke so I began to use standard office rubber bands attached at the brace on the first valve circuit (the prototype didn't have a thumb ring). The rubber bands did break often though, so I started using black hair ties for mine. They can be purchased from any grocery store in a 30-pack for a few bucks. I prefer to use the ones which don't have the metal bit on them so as not to scratch the finish. Hair ties don't dry out like rubber bands do, and they hold their elasticity better too.

I really loved my BMB Eb. I had to sell it this week to cover the costs of a new A/C unit for my house. The old heat pump died, and I needed the cash. Fortunately I have access to another horn I can borrow from the band I play in, but I was very sad to see it go. It is an excellent player, and though it had some short-comings regarding the build quality, I loved the sound and that more than made up for them. I think the new owner will be very happy with the horn.

Andy T.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

russiantuba wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:What the hell is wrong with manufacturers and suppliers! Tuba players pay big bucks for equipment that has rubber bands in place of conventional springs?

I think it's time to 'dig in' and demand better!

The term 'robust' should mean more than 'works for six months'!

Flame away.
I agree with Dan to an extent.......I would be glad to pay a little more if I were buying one to have traditional linkage over rubber bands.
Sounds like you agree completely!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What is better/worse: Cheap Chinese linkage or cheap Chinese rubber bands?

I've played Paul's BMB horns, and agree that they play well. I didn't care for the feel of the fifth valve in the few minutes I spent on it, and would probably explore a linkage conversion if it were me. That said, I could also probably learn to live with it, but the idea that it could break so easily kind of scares me.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I have springs that I use in my BMB tubas. If you send me your model number I will send you a spring manufacturer and number to fit it.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

Dredging this topic up from the depths.

I bought a J-865 about a month ago, and the previous owner used a hair tie. It's been working so far, but I'm just curious what's worked for people since the last updates a few years ago.

Particularly, has anyone customized the positioning of the trigger and how has that affected what you use? The images so far have appeared to be in the original position.

I've moved mine as far down as I could without the valve getting stuck in the open position.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

I put four or five of these on at the same time to provide redundancy in case one or two of them should break. I keep the rest handy (as with valve oil) in the unlikely event I should need to replace one or two of them between tunes during a performance. Not a big deal, really.

https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Classics-R ... B00E9SPNDS" target="_blank
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Hey ya'll prepare yourself for the rubberband man
You've never heard a sound
Like the rubberband man
You're bound to lose control
When the rubberband starts to jam

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Three Valves wrote:Hey ya'll prepare yourself for the rubberband man
You've never heard a sound
Like the rubberband man
You're bound to lose control
When the rubberband starts to jam

:tuba:
:lol: