Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag

Post by bort »

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag? The MB Web site lists them, but it's hard to find any information about them. Interested in learning about the build quality, protection, and comfort. Thanks! :tuba:
menroth
bugler
bugler

Re: Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag

Post by menroth »

Hi bort! Not too many replies on this topic... For what it's worth, I have had one of Bonna's gigbags that fits my trumpet and flugelhorn for about 12 years. I bought it after checking out my friend's model for three trumpets. Mine has been used quite a lot and is still as good as new. No harm done to the instruments after all those years. My friend, an active pro wore out his bag after something like 15 years of gigs and roading, but bought a second one. All zippers etc work well and the back straps are really strong and comfortable to carry. I was recently checking MB's website for a tuba case but hesitated due to the shipping costs to Europe. If a retailer had one in stock here, I would absolutely consider buying for my BBb and/or EEb. (Even though they cost!) If you get one, please give your opinion! :)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks for the replies (here and privately)!

Yes, if I get one, I will certainly post a review about it here. They do exist, and by the sounds of it, they are excellent, high quality cases.

The MB seems to be one of the few options for a top-loading case. I'm either going with an MB or a Götz, unless a third option should present itself. That is, if I do end up changing from the Cronkhite. I'm not at all a fan of side-loaders, but it's really damn nice... :!:
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Does anyone know who makes the toploader bags for Rudy? I got mine from someone who wanted the horn but not the bag and I love it. Great bag.

Well I just read on down the page to the original post and saw the leather requirement. My Rudy bag is not leather.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I *think* that would be a Götz supersac... can you post a photo or email one to me?

Also, it doesn't have to be leather, was just curious if any other leather options exist. Main concern is a high-quality, top-loading gig bag.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bort wrote:I *think* that would be a Götz supersac... can you post a photo or email one to me?

Also, it doesn't have to be leather, was just curious if any other leather options exist. Main concern is a high-quality, top-loading gig bag.

Would one of the blue Miraphone bags fit? Excellent bags...
Mark
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Duh, I forgot those. Will have to measure and compare... I have a 19" bell and 37" tall. Not as pretty as the MB or Gotz, but yes, great bags. I've owned one before, cant believe I forgot! :oops:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks Joe, that helps. The 1291 is shorter and I believe a smaller bell... In addition to just overall being smaller.

Curious about a 1293 or Bruckner bag as a fit.
darth2ba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by darth2ba »

What about Altieri gig-bags?
Joe Ready
Principal Tuba: Portland Opera
Low Brass Instructor: Pacific University
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

darth2ba wrote:What about Altieri gig-bags?
Not my favorite, but I appreciate the suggestion. Nothing wrong with them, and I've owned a few before.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

bloke wrote:
bort wrote:Thanks Joe, that helps. The 1291 is shorter and I believe a smaller bell... In addition to just overall being smaller.

Curious about a 1293 or Bruckner bag as a fit.
Those tubas aren't "same frame" (1291) tubas...??
I believe they are, the 1293 only has a bigger bell as but aside from that they are nearly identical in size
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Yeah, I think you're right about the Miraphones! Good call. The Willson seems to be "thicker" than I remember the Miraphone being, so maybe not a good match for that either.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

One bump... has anyone else handled one of these first-hand?
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Not first hand on a tuba gig bag but the horn prof. Here has one and i have to say it seems damn near bullet proof. They are definitely made to last, probably would last forever even if it wasn't especially well taken care of. But holy hell the price... He said he paid about a grand for it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Not gonna happen, Joe. :)

Now if Miraphone makes a brand new, bigger-than-a-Bruckner (but not a 190)... well, then I'm screwed. Seriously though, this Willson is outstanding. I just want a new bag. (And if I had an ounce of common sense, I would have just bought EMC's Götz bag and be done with it! :P)
Sandlapper
bugler
bugler

Post by Sandlapper »

If you could do without leather, I've been very happy with my Miraphone top loading bag for my 186. Very nice shoulder pads on the straps. http://www.miraphone.de/en/en_modeldeta ... G&v=3&l=en" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks! I agree, those are great... I'm just not sure if there is one that's a good size for the Willson. I've got an email in with the person who would know, though.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I bought Kelly Thomas' Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag for my B&S Symphonie F tuba.....really a great bag. I don't know the different sizes or models of their tuba bags, but I wish dealers would consider carrying their tuba gig bags. Not sure what they might sell for, but top quality bag. Highly recommended.

http://www.mbcases.com.br/en/products/bag-para-tuba/" target="_blank

Mark
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Having owned two MB horn cases, in both of them the straps come off at inopportune moments, like when it's on your back. It is necessary to augment strap connectors with carabiners. Otherwise, cases are fine.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Mark, can you post an actual photo or two of your bag? I am a huge fan of Gotz bags, but glad there is another high quality top loading option!