Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag

Post by bort »

Thanks! I agree, those are great... I'm just not sure if there is one that's a good size for the Willson. I've got an email in with the person who would know, though.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I bought Kelly Thomas' Marcus Bonna tuba gig bag for my B&S Symphonie F tuba.....really a great bag. I don't know the different sizes or models of their tuba bags, but I wish dealers would consider carrying their tuba gig bags. Not sure what they might sell for, but top quality bag. Highly recommended.

http://www.mbcases.com.br/en/products/bag-para-tuba/" target="_blank

Mark
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Having owned two MB horn cases, in both of them the straps come off at inopportune moments, like when it's on your back. It is necessary to augment strap connectors with carabiners. Otherwise, cases are fine.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Mark, can you post an actual photo or two of your bag? I am a huge fan of Gotz bags, but glad there is another high quality top loading option!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

As requested:

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks Mark! Looks nice!!
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Nice blanket, too.
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

This is an old thread, but I'd like to know if anyone has any firsthand experience with Marcus Bonna tuba gig bags? I've owned multiple MB trombone cases and they are all very well made and extremely protective. MB build quality and materials are excellent. Anyone using a MB gigbag? Any details on construction and/or features? Other considerations are top loading bags from Miraphone, or side loading bags from Glenn Cronkhite or Messina Covers. How do these compare? Thanks.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I can't remember much about the answers I got to this a few years ago... but people rarely have anything bad to say about MB cases, except perhaps the cost. I remember seeing a few pictures of the tuba bags, and they looked nice... perhaps not as handsome as the smaller bags, but for sure, it looks like a nice bag.

I ended up buying a Götz bag for my Willson, and have never looked back. To me, it's simply the best top-loading bag out there (this is also the bag that some European companies (like MW) use to supply their gig bags). It is also the cleanest and most visually appealing bag that I've ever seen. I've owned two of these, and doubt I'll order any other brand.

There aren't any dealers in the US, but I ordered mine through Bob Tucci's store in Munich. Cost was comparable to Cronkhite (at the time), and quality is outstanding.

Other random thoughts:
-- Miraphone bags are AWESOME, a little ugly, and only good if you own a Miraphone (i.e., they are fitted to their models, and if another brand of tuba fits, it's a little luck and not a guarantee). Very comfortable for walking long distances.
-- Cronkhite bags are really, really nice. I've owned a few, and you won't find better protection from a bag. The leather bags are especially heavy-duty, but super expensive, and frankly, a little cumbersome with an already-heavy tuba. However, I just don't prefer side-loading bags. I also find that they hang a bit low on my back, and are not very comfortable for walking long distances. The snap-on zipper pouch is also not so good-looking, to me.
-- Gotz bags have NO padding on the straps. Easy to modify, but as-is, it's not going to be comfortable for more than going back and forth from your car.
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

bort wrote: ...people rarely have anything bad to say about MB cases, except perhaps the cost. I remember seeing a few pictures of the tuba bags, and they looked nice... perhaps not as handsome as the smaller bags, but for sure, it looks like a nice bag.

Other random thoughts:
-- Miraphone bags are AWESOME, a little ugly, and only good if you own a Miraphone (i.e., they are fitted to their models, and if another brand of tuba fits, it's a little luck and not a guarantee). Very comfortable for walking long distances.
-- Cronkhite bags are really, really nice. I've owned a few, and you won't find better protection from a bag. The leather bags are especially heavy-duty, but super expensive, and frankly, a little cumbersome with an already-heavy tuba. However, I just don't prefer side-loading bags. I also find that they hang a bit low on my back, and are not very comfortable for walking long distances. The snap-on zipper pouch is also not so good-looking, to me.
-- Gotz bags have NO padding on the straps. Easy to modify, but as-is, it's not going to be comfortable for more than going back and forth from your car.
Thanks for the details. I also prefer top-loading bags, so Miraphone, Bonna and Gotz seem to be the contenders. The Miraphone bags are a good value for the cost, and fit their models very well. I'll check out the Gotz bags too. Thanks for the details on the Gotz bags.

The new Cronkhite tuba bags look pretty good, albeit very expensive, especially for the leather versions. I've owned several Cronkhite trombone cases when Glenn was making them, and they were incredibly well made. I'm not convinced yet that the new cases match the quality of Glenn's original bags, but they've done a good job of resurrecting the brand.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

If you look into Cronkhite, it is *very* worth your while to go through Baltimore Brass. Give them a call and ask for Andrew. Their prices are over $100 lower than MSRP, and still just as customizable.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon