New member, with a brand new Mack Brass horn

The bulk of the musical talk
insignia100
lurker
lurker

New member, with a brand new Mack Brass horn

Post by insignia100 »

Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm re-entering the tuba world after an 8 year hiatus (during which time I finished undergrad and went to veterinary school). Now that I'm out and have a good paying job, I am finally at the point where I can justify the purchase of a horn so I can join a local community band here in Tucson, AZ.

Given that I am not a professional tubist, and I couldn't find any decent used tubas on the market here, after much research I contacted Tom McGrady at Mack Brass in VA and purchased one of his TU-200 horns. I gotta say, this horn is great! I'll be honest, I can tell that the horn is Chinese -- the tuning slides are a bit "gritty," but I found the rotary valves to be quite nice. Granted, I've never played a "professional" horn, but I can tell you I sound just as good on this horn as I ever did on any Yamaha tuba or Conn sousaphone I've ever played. I don't regret my decision to purchase this horn in the least, and certainly don't see a Miraphone sounding 4 times better than this horn (not to anger all you Miraphone players -- if I win the lottery I'll be buying one!).

I honestly feel that these horns are an excellent value for an amateur musician. I doubt this horn will ever hold my playing back, and would highly recommend Mack Brass horns for students/hobbyists (or even professionals on a budget I suppose).

Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: New member, with a brand new Mack Brass horn

Post by Three Valves »

Real Nice!!

Why silver??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
insignia100
lurker
lurker

Post by insignia100 »

He gave me a deal on it because some of the plating has started to bubble (no flaking yet). Also, its the only one he had and I would have had to wait until next month for his next shipment. Overall, like I said, I'm VERY happy with this horn!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

AHHHH!!

Enjoy.

I'd like to give one a toot myself!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Happy new tuba! Always a fun time!
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Welcome back to playing and congrats on a new horn! I wish you many years of happy honking on it!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

And welcome to TubeNet. Is that a BBb or CC?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Angled entry = BBb
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

Awesome! I purchased one just like yours back in February from Tom McGrady. He gave me a great deal on what has been an excellent tuba. I have used this tuba with the U.S Army in brass quintet, brass ensemble, and wind band. I also used this tuba for my latest Army Musician Proficiency Assessment and I received good feedback. Have fun and welcome back!

v/r

Dan
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
insignia100
lurker
lurker

Post by insignia100 »

Yes, it is a Bb horn.

Dan, its good to hear more positive feedback on this horn. I think these horns really do fill a much needed niche in the market. With tubas being among the most expensive instruments in the ensemble, it can be difficult for hobbyists to afford a horn. I know there's no way I would have been able to justify spending the money for even a used Miraphone.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Hey, cool! Sonora Winds could use another tuba player, and so could the Old Pueblo Brass Band (British style all the way.) PM me for info if interested. You'll find me in the euph section of Sonora Winds. Former tuba and euph in the brass band.
insignia100
lurker
lurker

Post by insignia100 »

MaryAnn wrote:Hey, cool! Sonora Winds could use another tuba player, and so could the Old Pueblo Brass Band (British style all the way.) PM me for info if interested. You'll find me in the euph section of Sonora Winds. Former tuba and euph in the brass band.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm currently looking at joining Tucson Concert Band since they practice on Thursday evenings (the best night of the week for me due to my work schedule). I see Sonora Winds practices on Wednesday evenings, which is my late night at work.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Welcome back to playing. That is a sweet looking horn.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:Sorry to dredge this thread up, but since when did JinBao make these horns with the 3rd and 4th slides in this position? The Alex clones and routed around back..is this a different model?

The factory changed this about 3 years ago. They are using the same wrap now as the 410 CC and miraphone 186 tubas.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707