Aspen...

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Aspen...

Post by bort »

Oh that's horrible news!

He didn't post here a lot, but he did post from time to time... bentuba7...

His last post was about his tuba being stolen. :(

My prayers will be with their families. RIP
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Will say prayers for all involved. :(
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
strongpotato
lurker
lurker

Post by strongpotato »

Ben was a really great guy and tuba player. We went to high school together at Interlochen and I was overwhelmed when I heard the news this morning. Truly a terrible loss for the music community.
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Ben was one of the first few people I met when auditioning/touring IAA as a prospective student. I never knew him well, but he was such a nice guy and a very talented player. RIP.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
ECUorchbound
bugler
bugler

Post by ECUorchbound »

I first met Ben when we were competing together at the 2012 Falcone Festival and we had always stayed friends since then. Anytime I was in the Chicago area I always paid a visit. I was planning on visiting him next week on my way to moving to Minnesota. Not only a terrific musician but a terrific person in life. He is truly missed.
Jacob Daniel

Freelance Musician and Educator
B&S PT-6
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

Such sad news, to lose two fine musicians and people.
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

From Floyd Cooley, Professor of Tuba at DePaul University:
Dear DePaul SOM Brass players,

As you have heard two of our students met a very tragic and untimely death two days ago. Ben Darnielle and former student Alex Greene were involved in a horrific car accident. I, Dean Bundra and the entire SOM, would like to honor their memories by beginning the annual Convocation ceremonies with a brass ensemble piece in the honor. I would like all of you to be involved if you so choose.

Michael Lewinski has graciously agreed to conduct. I will arrange for music to be available from my mailbox asap. The piece will be Elgar's Nimrod from Enigma Variations. Please choose a part that would be appropriate for you.

A rehearsal will take place on the afternoon or evening of Sept. 7. Please let me know of your interest and for the new students let me know your instrument. Convocation is September 8. Any brass player is welcome to participate even if you don't attend DePaul but only brass players can participate.

Floyd Cooley
cooltuba@aol.com" target="_blank
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia