Push Button Make Sound

Re: New Late Show Band

Post by Tom Holtz »

tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

According to the interview, these guys are all Julliard musicians. They know music. What they are presenting is according to them, "social music", which is another word for "crap I have to play to get paid." More power to 'em but I won't be paying to listen to this crap. Fortunately for me, I don't have to. Fortunately for them I don't count.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Too bad producers of the Late show weren't creative in the instrumentation of their signature Band. It sounds like they just said "We need on of those" and duplicated "Roots", the Tonight Show's great band.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

I have heard this group, complete with Mr. Ruhumbika, live and can assure you he has zero problem being heard, playing well, playing in many styles, playing melodically, or whatever other complaints that may arise. He is awesome at playing the tuba and gets some great exposure, a decent (I'm guessing) paycheck, and the chance to play with the best band I've ever seen. I would say the same carries for the other members of the group.

FWIW, Jon Batiste/Stay Human are very, very different from Questlove/The Roots, so I don't know where that analogy came from. I've heard both (live), like both, but don't find them very similar.

Also, if you've ever been to a taping of a show like this, you know that only a small fraction of the house band's playing makes it to the broadcast.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

eupho wrote:Too bad producers of the Late show weren't creative in the instrumentation of their signature Band. It sounds like they just said "We need on of those" and duplicated "Roots", the Tonight Show's great band.
you do know this band (Stay Human) existed prior to the Colbert iteration of the Late Show, yes?
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

It is GREAT for the tuba world that a tubist is a regular on a popular TV show! This helps Americans rediscover the tuba and will help to create new tuba gigs. As the father of an aspiring tuba player, I find this very encouraging.

I've never seen Colbert's show (I don't have a TV), but I hope the band becomes a success. Congratulations, Ibanda! Your hard work is paying off.