National Music Camp Memories

The bulk of the musical talk
Chris Horsch
bugler
bugler

National Music Camp Memories

Post by Chris Horsch »

Some recent stories about changes and problems at Interlochen caused me to recall the two wonderful high school summers I spent at the National Music Camp in 1956 and 1957. I took a photo of the 1956 high school band tuba section from the 1957 catalog and posted it at the above web site. I hope I've done it in a way that permits you to share it.

Number the 9 players from left to right, first row then second row:

1. Of course, Roger Bobo, who was on a different planet from the rest of us. The other 8 can accurately be desciribed as journeyman players, in the positive sense of that term, but certainly not virtuosos. Roger was a great guy and really led and helped us all. He is the only one who owned his own horn and the only one whose horn was not Bb. Also the only one with rotary valves. We were in awe. He had just graduated from high school and was on his way to Eastman.

2. Alan Estes, playing a 4 valve York (I think, could be wrong - I played it 1957).

3. Stanley Laws, playing a Conn, if memory serves me well.

5. Yours truly, with the King sousaphone. I had just finished my freshman year of high school. I stayed number 5 most of the summer, but made it to number 4 one week, which meant I got to play in the radio broadcast on Saturday evening. Heady stuff.

7. Bob Black, from Northwest Indiana, studied with Arnold Jacobs. He and I rotated between 3 and 4 in 1957, but it was easier to do that without Bobo, Estes and Laws around.

I don't remember the instructor's name. I think he was from Texas. Rex Connor came in 1957, and he was a very memorable guy.

Please pardon a little nostalgia. The memories are very positive.[/url]
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Thanks for the picture and the memories. I am sure we can all remember back to those formative years when everything was new and exciting.
sean chisham
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Re: National Music Camp Memories

Post by TubaRay »

Chris Horsch wrote: Please pardon a little nostalgia. The memories are very positive.
There is certainly no need for a pardon. I am grateful that you have chosen to share this history with us. I never went to Interlochen, but I know it must have been an extremely memorable experience you had. Thanks again for sharing.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
caroljantsch
pro musician
pro musician

Post by caroljantsch »

Was that the summer Roger won the concerto competition on the Vaughan Williams concerto?
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

He is the only one who owned his own horn
Did the rest of you borrow your tubas from your high schools, or did Interlochen provide them?
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Chris Horsch
bugler
bugler

Post by Chris Horsch »

Answers to questions:

Roger did win the concerto competition in 1956, playing the VW.

My horn came from my high school. The rest were provided by Interlochen.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Chris Horsch wrote:The rest were provided by Interlochen.
None of those old horns were in the Tuba Hut when I was there in the summer of 2003. And now the Tuba Hut itself is gone...
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Hadn't there been a plan to demolish it, retaining some of the wood panels with the "signatures" of tubists who had passed through? (as reported by Carol Jantsch)
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Steve Marcus wrote:... the wood panels with the "signatures" of tubists who had passed through....
Oh Gawd: Uncle Beer vaguely remembers committing much graffiti in that hut, several decades ago. :shock:
caroljantsch
pro musician
pro musician

the tuba hut

Post by caroljantsch »

Yeah, I guess plans changed. The tuba hut still stands, but now they moved all the lockers out of it, so I think this summer it's going to be used as an extra rehearsal space rather than storage space.

In terms of construction, it's not rare that Interlochen doesn't do something they say they will. :)
KevinBock
bugler
bugler

Post by KevinBock »

daforsto wrote:One of my fondest adolescent memories is sitting out back behind the tuba hut practicing. The spot was perfect as I could alternate between watching the lake, and watching the dancers leave their practice - hey, I was a teenage boy, that is what summers were all about then!

Wow, thanks for the thread, and the memories.
Something tells me quite a few of us tuba players learned about that spot quickly. Hell even during the "fall" and "spring" up there I did the same, its a beautiful place and anyone who has ever been there always has a special place in their memories for it. Gotta love the tuba hut, god only knows the kinds of things that place has seen :shock:
Chris Horsch
bugler
bugler

Post by Chris Horsch »

Hard to believe it's over 13 years since I posted this. My reverence for Roger Bobo continues unabated and I am sad at the passing of Alan Estes. This was such a wonderful experience. Interlochen appears to be very healthy now, and I am happy for that. The National Music Camp in 1956 was a unique and unforgettable experience.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Here's a 1963 photo of NMC HS band low brass featuring a young Brian Bowman!

Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Here are some photos of NMC 1959 and the bottom one is 1955 or 57 high school All State. My father, Frank Crawford is in all of these. I don't know everyone else. The great Byron Hanson is in the sitting photo in front of the bassist.

UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bloke wrote:
...so, is "tooling" still a thing, or did that fade away?
Oh man: tooling folks near the Melody Freeze. M e m o r i e s . . .

Pretty sure Bloke and I were there the same year, although I was a wee high schooler at the time.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bloke wrote:... then, Unc', I will assume that you were in a c. twenty-piece marching brigade that marched passed our dormitory playing marches early on a Saturday morning after we had spent a pretty intensive night at the Hofbrau. I don't know if you recall, but we did get you back one morning around 2:30 A.M.
None of that rings any bells.

Here's the HS symphonic band section, and I'm standing next to good ol' Rex in front of Kresge; circa 1976.