Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby TheTuba » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 am

ren wrote:As someone who played a miraphone 188 for 8 years, ugh. I checked out the chris olka play test of the hagan. I thought it sounded like crap. Why do people buy these.
These are the worst tubas you could play now. Bad sound, and bad playing tubas.

TNFJ disagrees.
You never know how they play unless you have played it.
While Chris Olka is a great player, his recording and video were not the best quality.
You sound awfully biased in your comment :D
And crap must sound awfully good from your viewpoint then
:tuba:
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Schlepporello » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

ren wrote:As someone who played a miraphone 188 for 8 years, ugh. I checked out the chris olka play test of the hagan. I thought it sounded like crap. Why do people buy these.
These are the worst tubas you could play now. Bad sound, and bad playing tubas.

In another thread, you told Bloke that you were not a professional. I do not doubt this, neither am I. However, Chris Olka is. Are you then saying that we should accept your subjective opinions as being fact over anything Chris Olka might say? Chris Olka has 6/4 sized York's to compare the 497 against. I'm sure he could compare the 497 against almost any other horn he chose. You also apparently are not thrilled with the 188, which many people on this board hold in high regard. I can then easily assume that you are looking for a tuba with differing characteristics than the majority of us on this board are looking for. As for me, I'm happy with my 496, which is why I bought it. And as for your opinion, everyone has one.
I'm just crazy about dementia.
Miraphone 187 (for sale)
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Donn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Schlepporello wrote:In another thread, you told Bloke that you were not a professional. I do not doubt this, neither am I. However, Chris Olka is. Are you then saying that we should accept your subjective opinions as being fact over anything Chris Olka might say?

For me ... I'm not a professional, and the professionals I've known personally have been so near the bottom of the heap that I may have a warped perspective, but anyway technically speaking, a professional tuba player is a type of artist. "Some of my best friends are artists, but" I would never take their opinions as fact, in any way - and I don't think they would expect me to. Freedom of speech in this context requires us to read with that understanding, really, because any of us can make the same claim, to be implicitly understood to be speaking from a personal perspective that is almost guaranteed to apply to no one else.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby ren » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Chris is an amazing player. Im not suggesting anything except, I was a pro, playing miraphones in my opinion was a big mistake which I eventually corrected, but teachers bamboozle people into it all the time. And thats just *my* opinion, which im sharing. I do not like the sound of that Bflat Hagen either. Everyone has their own sound and playing ideals. If Chris Olka likes the Hagen, thats certainly his choice to like it as much as its my choice to not like it. And yes i am biased against miraphones. I earned the right to be so through years of practice on them.
Miraphone 188 (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 (gone)
HB 21 (yes)
Wessex Chicago York (yes)
Wessex Berg F (yes)
ren
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm

So... You dislike well built tubas with amazing tones, excellent intonation, and lightning quick response.

Gotcha
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Doc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I played a 188 as one of my main horns for a number of years. It was a great instrument, and it was the right tuba at the right time. They have a reputation for being one of the most in-tune CC tubas, and mine was no exception. Very versatile. And I purchased mine on my own without encouragement from anyone.

Having said all that, it does not meet the criteria I seek today, and I can understand some of the reasons it’s not a match for others (bamboozling notwithstanding). I am a fan of the 496, and I listened to Chris’ 497 review 20+ times. And I had watched those MW 197 videos from a lesser known player a dozen times before Joe mentioned them somewhere. I dig it. If others don’t, that’s groovy. But if they are bad playing tubas, I hate to think what the tubas I have owned play like. :shock: .
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby ren » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Mark Finley wrote:So... You dislike well built tubas with amazing tones, excellent intonation, and lightning quick response.

Gotcha

No I love those :tuba: , I just cant stand miraphones!
Miraphone 188 (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 (gone)
HB 21 (yes)
Wessex Chicago York (yes)
Wessex Berg F (yes)
ren
pro musician
pro musician

Postby TheTuba » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 pm

ren wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:So... You dislike well built tubas with amazing tones, excellent intonation, and lightning quick response.

Gotcha

No I love those :tuba: , I just cant stand miraphones!

But that is a miraphone.
Why don't we all just leave this part of it alone. People have different opinions and ideals of tubas. We should respect that.
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet