Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby Roger Lewis » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:29 pm

It is possible that I will have a 495, 496 and 497 along with the Siegfried at Midwest this year. Miraphone is working hard at getting these 3 horns to me in time for the show. I'll try to keep you posted.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:48 am

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby The Big Ben » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Bob Kolada wrote:Who else wants to hear one crank out low E's followed by low G's?


Raises hand: "Me, me!"
User avatar
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:54 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby bububassboner » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:56 am

bloke wrote:Regardless of resemblance to a Markneukirchen design, originality, or lack thereof...


Man you think Americans are picky about silly things like the key of the horn you should come out here. I have, no joke, seen players out here not even pick up a horn because it doesn't "look right". First time I saw this was with an Alexander double tuba. Okay, well that is an interesting design so maybe I understand that. The last time time I saw it was at the musikmesse and was in regard to the Miraphone Siegfried. The guy was listening to me play it and I asked he he wanted to try it. He said "No, it has too many valves and doesn't look like a Kaiser tuba."

Part of me feels that they are releasing this line of tubas because they know that looks, for a lot of players out here, are just as or more important than how it plays.

I haven't played the 6/4 or 4/4, but I have played the 5/4 and its a killer horn.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
User avatar
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Sembach, Germany

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby pjv » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:21 am

From the Miraphone FaceBook page.
User avatar
pjv
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:39 am

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:05 pm

somewhat thoracic.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 41230
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby bort » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:19 pm

bububassboner wrote:Man you think Americans are picky about silly things like the key of the horn you should come out here. I have, no joke, seen players out here not even pick up a horn because it doesn't "look right". First time I saw this was with an Alexander double tuba. Okay, well that is an interesting design so maybe I understand that. The last time time I saw it was at the musikmesse and was in regard to the Miraphone Siegfried. The guy was listening to me play it and I asked he he wanted to try it. He said "No, it has too many valves and doesn't look like a Kaiser tuba."


Sounds like my kind of place. :)

I've definitely played a tuba before that sounded just fine, but I knew I'd never buy it because it was "funny looking."
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
User avatar
bort
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 9449
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:26 pm

bort wrote:
bububassboner wrote:Man you think Americans are picky about silly things like the key of the horn you should come out here. I have, no joke, seen players out here not even pick up a horn because it doesn't "look right". First time I saw this was with an Alexander double tuba. Okay, well that is an interesting design so maybe I understand that. The last time time I saw it was at the musikmesse and was in regard to the Miraphone Siegfried. The guy was listening to me play it and I asked he he wanted to try it. He said "No, it has too many valves and doesn't look like a Kaiser tuba."


Sounds like my kind of place. :)

I've definitely played a tuba before that sounded just fine, but I knew I'd never buy it because it was "funny looking."


I'll gladly take one of those (astonishingly fantastic) Miraphone 98 tubas.
Maybe (??) they should send me one and rename it the bloke-o-phone. :lol:
Rest assured, I'd play it publicly...plenty. My great-great grandfather (unlike those uber-rechthaberisch krauts you describe) wasn't dumb. He left everything in Bavaria and came to America for a reason.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 41230
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby JohnSzkutko » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:51 am

I want to know why there is a lyre holder and marching strap lugs on a very expensive 5/4 Bb tuba? :wink:
John Szkutko
- VoiceOfTheTuba.com
- iTubaOnline.com

Miraphone 1291 Bb
B&S PT15 F
JohnSzkutko
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:57 am

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby tubeast » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:50 am

Oh, that´s very easy: both come in handy when you need to play a standup-birthday gig for one of the orchestra patrons.
Hans
F: Melton 46 S "Klemens Pröpper"
BBb:
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Heinrich Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, PT50+, customized GEWA 52
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Tilz Spezial / PT50+
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Buers, Austria

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby tuben » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:07 am

JohnSzkutko wrote:I want to know why there is a lyre holder and marching strap lugs on a very expensive 5/4 Bb tuba? :wink:


The same reason both of my Alexander's (CC & F) do......
tuben
 

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby Wyvern » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 am

Remember even Kaiser tubas are used for marching in Germany. Was not the MW 197 Hilgers BBb not based on one used in Hiltler's Guard Band?
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby tuben » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Neptune wrote:Remember even Kaiser tubas are used for marching in Germany. Was not the MW 197 Hilgers BBb not based on one used in Hiltler's Guard Band?


:!:
tuben
 

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby iiipopes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 pm

kmorgancraw wrote:It's a Miraphone clone of the B&S...those Germans, always copying everyone else...

Yes. Now that the GR-51 and its big brother the GR-55 have taken off, well, now it is Miraphone's turn.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
User avatar
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:10 am

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby Christian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:39 am

The new line of Miraphone tubas (it is called BBb-Tuba Hagen Modell 495 (4/4); 496 (5/4) and 497 (6/4)) follow the ideas to have a series of Tubas with nearly the same design. Miraphone had the same thoughts with the BBb and CC Tubas 184, 185, 186, 188.
The basis for “Hagen” design was an old Miraphone BBb-Tuba from the 1950´. As these tubas were built very tall we have to redesign the height. The new look is the result of them.
Attachments
Miraphone Basis Hagen Tuba 1.jpg
Miraphone Basis Hagen Tuba 1.jpg (197.58 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Christian
lurker
lurker
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:19 am

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby bisontuba » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 am

Christian wrote:The new line of Miraphone tubas (it is called BBb-Tuba Hagen Modell 495 (4/4); 496 (5/4) and 497 (6/4)) follow the ideas to have a series of Tubas with nearly the same design. Miraphone had the same thoughts with the BBb and CC Tubas 184, 185, 186, 188.
The basis for “Hagen” design was an old Miraphone BBb-Tuba from the 1950´. As these tubas were built very tall we have to redesign the height. The new look is the result of them.


Great post-thank you!
Might there be a set of Hagen's in the future that are in CC?
Regards-
Mark
User avatar
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 3793
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Bottom of Lake Erie

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby J.c. Sherman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Christian wrote:The new line of Miraphone tubas (it is called BBb-Tuba Hagen Modell 495 (4/4); 496 (5/4) and 497 (6/4)) follow the ideas to have a series of Tubas with nearly the same design. Miraphone had the same thoughts with the BBb and CC Tubas 184, 185, 186, 188.
The basis for “Hagen” design was an old Miraphone BBb-Tuba from the 1950´. As these tubas were built very tall we have to redesign the height. The new look is the result of them.


There's one of those old 90s (complete with clockworks) here in the Cleveland area. AMAZING horn, but getting past its prime.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
User avatar
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 2096
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby Lamminator » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:51 am

I loved it when I played it at Frankfurt last year. Really easy to play and free blowing lower register. I have heard some comments that the tone is not dark enough but I didn't really notice. My main Instrument is E flat so not a specialist when it comes to the big ones. Having said that it I had the money would opt for the 5/4 model as I think it's great value. Going to Frankfurt in April again so plan to try a few more out this time round. :D
Lamminator
lurker
lurker
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby Billy M. » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Might be nice to see if they could make the 5/4 or 6/4 in CC :P :twisted:
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Miraphone 1291 CC
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
User avatar
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:23 pm
Location: Pensacola, Florida USA

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby Schlepporello » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is an old thread by now, but I had a chance to play a 496 today at SCRTEC. And I just have to say that from the first few notes I played, I was impressed. The way the horn resonated in my chest really impressed me as did the amazing pedal tones I played. This is a horn that could cause me to sell my 187 and my helicon to buy even though it doesn't have a bell ring. I'm sold, it's a great horn!
I'm just crazy about dementia.
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
User avatar
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6649
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:57 am
Location: I am neither here, nor there.

Re: Miraphone 496 Hagen 5/4 BBb Tuba

Postby EdFirth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Since nobody has made this observation I'll throw something on the fire.I have played two Cerveny's that had a very similar bugle.One belonged to a Chicago fireman and the other belonged to Bruce Butler who was the tuba player prior to Neal Tidwell in the New Orleans Symphony. They both had that way high branch that almost goes to the top of the bell. They were both "Kaiser" .835 bore horns. Mark Finlay has observed that Mirafone based their 186 on a Cerveny and I find it pretty undeniable. Not to say that Mirafone is copying anything directly, just that this bugle has been around for a long time. I don't have a foto handy but if you type in The Last Straws on YouTube the album cover may come up. They were both, despite being quite old, very nice horns that made huge sounds.Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:03 am

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], sweaty and 19 guests