Getzen G-50 recording

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Getzen G-50 recording

Post by bort »

Can anyone point me to a NON-Canadian Brass recording (Youtube is fine) of a Getzen G-50?

Thanks! :tuba:
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Getzen G-50 recording

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote:
The sound "under the bell" is a little bit different, because (due to config.) the players are a little bit closer to the bell rim with the G-50.
So much closer, in fact, that you can nearly speak more of being "beside" the bell than "under" it. I like these tubas a lot, but just can't take the sensation that I'm playing straight into my left ear. It isn't actually as close as that, but that's the sensation.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks guys!
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

X2
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I tooted on a G-50 years ago and liked it quite a bit. Dark, clear projecting sound, and was very easy to play and in-tune. Weren't these made with Meinl or Nirschl parts, but assembled at the Getzen factory in WI? Does anyone know for sure??

tuben wrote:
https://youtu.be/m5miK0Nz3Uw?list=LLRJG ... Dou5KWGc3Q

And he swallows the entire orchestra at 5:43.
+1. The finest example of a G-50 in orchestra you will hear :tuba:
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

Mike Eastep of the Calgary Philharmonic played one of these for a few years - you're never going to hear a better sound. If I can find info on Mike's recordings, I will post them.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

toobagrowl wrote:I tooted on a G-50 years ago and liked it quite a bit. Dark, clear projecting sound, and was very easy to play and in-tune. Weren't these made with Meinl or Nirschl parts, but assembled at the Getzen factory in WI? Does anyone know for sure??
Yes. Many -but not all- of the parts (including the bell) were done by Meinl Weston. Final assembly was done in the United States at Getzen's facility. As I understand it, Lee Stofer was able to purchase all of the G-50 items that Getzen still had on hand in the last couple of years, though I am not sure if that included any tooling or any of the parts or tooling that Meinl Weston controlled.

Interestingly, Meinl Weston makes (or at least did until their recent sale) bells for MANY companies. I have been told this by MW factory employees and have been shown evidence of this.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.