Meinl Weston MW3225 "Ursus" CC tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Meinl Weston MW3225 "Ursus" CC tuba

Post by Matt Walters »

New Meinl Weston “Ursus” CC tuba
There was an earlier post about the new Meinl Weston 3225 “Ursus” tuba and suggestions that it was just a rebadged GR-41. Heck, I thought that myself from only looking at the pictures. Dillon Music bought the first two MW3225-2 “Ursus” CC tubas available here in the USA. One has been sold leaving only one more available at this time. We have several more on order but have been told it will be several months before we see them. After spending some time with the Ursus, here is what I find. The size of the tuba is like the GR-41 (former PT606P) CC tuba except the new Ursus has a smaller 17.75” diameter bell flair like the Meinl Weston 2155 or 2000 to give a more focused sound. The branches appear to be the same taper as the GR-41 giving a chubby 5/4 tuba in a compact package.
The 5th rotor has been moved from just after the 4th piston to the other side of the main tuning slide just in front of the 5th branch. Also, there is the new mouthpiece receiver that lets you select from 3 different gap settings on one mouthpiece or more correctly the gap setting Alan Baer prefers on American, Perantucci, or Euro shank mouthpieces.
The valve section slide tubing allows for more flexibility in slide manipulation and comes with the Meinl Weston PVAK system. Plus, it has the slide stops to keep the faster top slides from falling out while the horn is on the bell.
If for some reason the B&S GR-41 was an “almost” in your tuba search, then the new Ursus is one to try if you are still shopping.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Meinl Weston MW3225 "Ursus" CC tuba

Post by EMC »

About how much will these set you back?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

EMC wrote:About how much will these set you back?
$13,194.00

https://www.dillonmusic.com/c-1597-mein ... tubas.aspx
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

IF the bugle is based in part on the GR41 I'd be curious to check the 2nd and 3rd partial intonation.
bud
bugler
bugler

Post by bud »

Matt, you wrote "3225-2"

What is the "-2"? Thanks.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

"-2" in Besson talk means silver plated. I don't know why that was used on the paperwork I saw instead of the traditional "-S" used for Meinl Weston in silver. Might have been a typo. We'll see what shakes out over the next year and adjust accordingly. According to the Meinl Weston website, it is only being offered in silver. And right now the silver plated Ursus with quick slide and stops plus PVAK is priced less than it's 'similar niche' rival MW 5450 Thor in lacquer and way less than a Thor in silver. Wonder how long that will last, but glad we locked in our order before Buffet Group realizes and does another price increase.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

I thought the "2" suffix meant that it was handmade?

That is the case with the "Baer" the MW6450 is the production model and the 6450-2 is the handmade version
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

I got an answer from the Buffet Group about a change in nomenclature. To standardize things they are going to use "-1" for lacquer finish and "-2" for silver plated finish. If it is a handmade sheet brass horn, there will be an extra 2 after the model number but before the finish number (-1 or -2).
MW3225-2-0GB
"-2" means silver plated finish
"O" means outfit
"GB" means gig bag.
Meinl Weston 3225 in silver that is outfitted with a gig bag.

I'm sure we will be updating the website just as soon as time allows.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

I know that it's one heck of a great instrument! Wonderful clarity, intonation and (despite appearances) a roaring low range.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ