mouthpieces for compensated Eb tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: mouthpieces for compensated Eb tubas

Post by iiipopes »

opus37 wrote:If I were to suggest a universal mouthpiece for an Eb, I would say a Sellmansberger Imperial.
+1!
Last edited by iiipopes on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote:
cjk wrote:Faxx does produce both 120 and 7b copies. My Faxx (which is marked FHB) is a 120 copy.
good to know...
All that I could find on the web was the 7B knock-off.

How does the 120 knock-off work with your Eb?
The FHb works very very well, but the rim takes some getting used to. Probably better than Laskey 30H, Loud LM7, Canadian Brass Arnold Jacobs, Kellyberg, or Schilke Helleberg II . Of those, I'd pick the SH2 as second place.

I do like a Miraphone C3 / Tu21 in it.

I don't think that I will use an "F tuba" sized mouthpiece on this tuba. I'm able to eke out Ab above the staff with the FHB and I'm really not in good shape, so I see little need to use a small mouthpiece with it. I think I would like to try a Wick 2L and 3L. The old LOUD LM15 / Houser MK15 are interesting with this tuba. The LOUD LM9 is not so much.

I do find these instruments to be pretty tolerant of whatever mouthpiece I put in the receiver for the most part. I am really impressed with what you can do with one of these. I used to think British guys were crazy playing everything on a 19 inch Besson EEb, but now, I can really really see it. They do work well for pretty much anything. I'm way more impressed with them than I expected to be. Look for my MW182 F tuba to be for sale really soon.

The FHB or Sellmansberger Imperial with the profundo rim is probably what I'll use for the near term.

I'm really still trying to figure out the right buttons to mash. I'm fighting my way through etudes. I'm very slowly getting better with it, but quite enjoying it. Thanks to everyone who has taken a shot at answering my query!
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

SJP wrote:
I have a three valve Besson New Standard (no +1). Does this make a difference as to recommended mouthpieces?
For a New Standard if you want to try a Denis Wick make sure you order without the L
I used a Denis Wick 3 and a Denis Wick 2 with my New Standard for many years
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

After a LOT of experimentation with a pretty broad range of mouthpieces, I've determined that the very best "overall" mouthpiece for my Wessex 981 clone is the Wick 2XL. The Wick 3... size just doesn't do it for me on this horn. And (to me) the XL rim makes a significant difference.

That being said, the approach I'm taking is that if I'm the only tuba in the group (e.g., community band), or if there is a decent amount of contra-bass stuff I need to cover, then I use the 2XL. If there is at least one decent additional player on a CC or BBb, then I like to use either a Miraphone TU17 or a Schilke 66 for a bit more of a "bass tuba" sound. And in smaller groups I tend to like the smaller mouthpieces. They make the high range a bit easier and seem to slot better than the 2XL.

But if I had to choose just one mouthpiece, it would be the 2XL.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

I had a Besson Sovereign about 10 years back. Large bell and large bore lead pipe. Went through a pile of mps. Tried the Conn 2 and 24AW as that is what Fletcher had been using on his. After those, a pile of Wicks, Hellebergs etc, I wound up with a Pat Sheridan MP with a slightly larger shank. This was really the only one that seemed to bring out the color of the instrument. That particular instrument was particularly dark sounding and the PS help excite the harmonics a bit more to my tastes. The shank on the PS was a tad larger so the mp set out from the receiver a bit. If I recall, that was intentional. I think that had a bit of a positive effect toward what I was trying to achieve. I happen to have 4 or 5 24AWs sitting around, and none are the same with regard to rim widths and where the tangent is and also the diameter of radius on the edge of the rim. Yes, some are tubby, but some of mine also are closer, though not totally as narrow, to the standard Bach rim as on the old #18. There are quite a few clones out there from American companies and they also vary quite a bit. For my tastes, I have found a slightly more rounded rim works better for me on one of those larger EEbs, and it also seems as it contributes to the blending quality of the instrument in a British style brass band. I did use it occasionally in the symphony and chose more standard orchestra type mouthpieces as the roll in the orchestra is more of projection than that mysterious British "blend" As always I believe in matching the tool to the job.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
jamesgourlay
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jamesgourlay »

Hello. I've been playing Besson Ebs for more than 50 years now and have always used a Denis Wick 3L (large receiver) or 3 (smaller receiver). I'm not a fan of the 24AW but a Conn Helleberg works well as do the new Mercer and Barker mouthpieces. I'd go for their #3. I hope that helps! All the best,

J
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Post by GeoffC_UK »

In the UK, where I reside, EEb compensating is the norm.
For all my time playing that instrument I play(ed) on a Bach 24AW, sorry there.
The most common (other) mouthpiece I see over here is the Wick 3(L).
But in recent years various outlets have begun to sell designer mouthpieces for silly amounts of cash.
Whether these offer nirvana I am not sure, but I very much doubt it.

Putting all this aside, I would choose the mouthpiece that suits you best.

I bought x7 mouthpieces last year when I bought another model of EEb.
Tried different shaped bowls, rims, depths....the lot.
The best of this bunch on my Besson Imperial was the PT-64 (better high register) and PT-65 (better low register).
Ended up back where I started (24AW) with my bank balance severly reduced.
It is a minefield, for sure...
Last edited by GeoffC_UK on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

After using the DW 3L which came with my (German made) Besson 981 for some time I played long years with the Kellyberg before switching to the Sellmansberger Imperial. After some talking with Joe S. I orderd it with two shanks, one American and one British size. The smaller British shank went into the receiver up to the last 2mm and playing was overall significant louder than with the normal fitting American shank (as Joe predicted!)
ETuba
lurker
lurker

Post by ETuba »

I have also had trouble finding a good mouthpiece for the Yamaha compensating Eb that I use in a sometimes in a brass quintet, orchestra or brass band (model 631). The DW 2 seems to produce a dull tone for me. The Schilke 62 that I use on a large rotary F tuba seems too bright. I haven't tried the DW 3, but I like a little larger diameter mouthpiece. Has any used the DW 2SL (a shallower cup)?
E Tuba
willako
bugler
bugler

Post by willako »

The choice of mouthpiece depends a lot on the age & model of the compensating Eb. I had a Boosey & Hawkes 1976 four-valve Eb with the 15-inch bell for some years. The tone quality was the best with an old small MP called a Kosikup, which the tuba came with. However. a not-deep funnel mp would help you blow air through an old stuffy compensating system. Often, the best mp is the one that a manufacturer supplies, or I have heard many stories of people trying many mps but always returning to the one they practiced on the most. By the way, a Monette F tuba mp sounded great with the tuba I mentioned, but the Monettes are expensive. Bill