Suggestions for 3/4 BBb tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Suggestions for 3/4 BBb tuba

Post by edsel585960 »

TheGoyWonder wrote:I don't think there's a better 3/4 tuba than these (all the same):
Olds O-99/O-99-1
Reynolds Contempora (fixed bell)
Bach 869/879

Almost as good:
Conn 12J/15J/5J

Still pretty good. Best for carrying:
Yamaha YBB-103

All easy to find. Usually mislabeled on ebay or in a Craigslist titled simply "tuba". They all shrug off moderate body damage and continue to play fine. Also these are rarely played to death, usually cast aside early in life after body damage so tend to have great valve compression.
I agree the Olds 99's have great sound for their size. Usually can find for reasonable price anywhere from great shape to survivor of Normandy landing. I have a 991 that is a combat tuba and still plays well even with the dents and dings and one that is in pristine condition as well. I like the sound of the beat up one better. 10J Conn is another good player and does not weigh much.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Joemac wrote:
bloke wrote:It's easy to sit and play a sousaphone - whether on a stand, or on the player's shoulder.
Could I find a way to rest my shoulder while practicing? Buying a sousaphone would be easier.
The other tuba player in my German band used to have an ancient White jumbo sousa. It was too heavy to shoulder. He had a welder friend make a simple stand to put behind a regular chair that the horn could rest in. I wish I had a picture of it. Was just a 1 foot square metal base with about 3 foot metal bar going up to a cradle made from 2 pieces of metal welded together in a V shape. Worked really well.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

edsel585960 wrote:
Joemac wrote:
bloke wrote:It's easy to sit and play a sousaphone - whether on a stand, or on the player's shoulder.
Could I find a way to rest my shoulder while practicing? Buying a sousaphone would be easier.
The other tuba player in my German band used to have an ancient White jumbo sousa. It was too heavy to shoulder. He had a welder friend make a simple stand to put behind a regular chair that the horn could rest in. I wish I had a picture of it. Was just a 1 foot square metal base with about 3 foot metal bar going up to a cradle made from 2 pieces of metal welded together in a V shape. Worked really well.
My junior high had a sousaphone stand where the instrument was mounted on the stand, the neck and bits were rotated to the side and the player sat in a chair next to the stand. The band didn't march so I don't know why they had a sousaphone but it seemed to work pretty well.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

58mark wrote:I've been looking at this horn. It seems to sell for anywhere from $1600 to over $3000 depending on who you buy it from, but i can't swear I know what the differences are

Warning, this seller does not offer returns, only exchanges, but they have so much stock it might not be hard for you to find what you need there

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/band-orche ... _5422.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
I have a young student with an identical horn from Wessex. It's a very sweet instrument. It puts out lots of sound with little effort. Reminds me of the Cerveny "Piggy" model CC. If the Schiller/Laabs is as good quality as the Wessex the Schiller is a very good deal. FWIW
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

edsel585960 wrote:
Joemac wrote:
This makes me think of taking a mic stand and attaching some kind of hook or v shaped thing and have it behind me to support the horn.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

A mic stand falls over too easy.

It's kind of a mystery why the problem holding up a sousaphone as it's naturally intended. I mean, it isn't any of my business what's behind your physical limitations, but I'm thinking you may be overestimating the problem. Or tuba may not be for you. Something to think about - what kind of performance shape are you going to be in, if it involves doing something that's unbearably uncomfortable for practice? A lot of us here are facing issues like this, but started down this road a long time ago when we were younger and less fragile, and it kind of makes less sense if you're ready to have trouble right from the beginning, especially when you already have an axe anyway.

My sousaphone is well over 30 lbs, but it has an integral shoulder plate and rests pretty easy on the shoulder - if it didn't have that plate, I imagine I'd want to rig something up. The fiberglass-or-whatever sousaphones that have been recommended here weigh a lot less.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

Donn wrote:A mic stand falls over too easy.

It's kind of a mystery why the problem holding up a sousaphone as it's naturally intended. I mean, it isn't any of my business what's behind your physical limitations, but I'm thinking you may be overestimating the problem. Or tuba may not be for you. Something to think about - what kind of performance shape are you going to be in, if it involves doing something that's unbearably uncomfortable for practice? A lot of us here are facing issues like this, but started down this road a long time ago when we were younger and less fragile, and it kind of makes less sense if you're ready to have trouble right from the beginning, especially when you already have an axe anyway.

My sousaphone is well over 30 lbs, but it has an integral shoulder plate and rests pretty easy on the shoulder - if it didn't have that plate, I imagine I'd want to rig something up. The fiberglass-or-whatever sousaphones that have been recommended here weigh a lot less.
I've got tired sore shoulders and back at times. Don't know why. Maybe it's from playing bass for the last 20 years. Maybe it's wear and tear from playing hockey for 25 years or so. Who knows. In great shape otherwise I'd say. When it comes to bass I've been able to make adjustments. Sit at some gigs, lightweight basses, homemade straps.i get sore sometimes then it goes away. Not playing is NOT an option. I'm just looking for some info before I spend a bunch of money on a horn and I appreciate anyone willing to share their knowledge.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

I am. That would be great. Was is the Wessex you ordered?
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

58mark wrote:Yes it was. It's coming from overseas, but Jonathan said I might have it a week after I order it.
Was it the Prague? They look like neat instruments. Curious how they play. I bet they are a nice horn.
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Back in the 60's I had the honor and pleasure of playing with the "worlds worst banjo band" Your Father's Mustache. (Banjo, Trombone, Tuba and Washboard.) We were busy with usually 2 gigs a day sometimes 3. At the club at night we played a 5 hour show, and usually that was 7 nights a week. During the summer months we played at the beer garden at the Atlantic City Race Track, and often in parades around the Jersey Shore, perched on the rear of an antique firetruck or a myriad of promotional events. Just about all of the tuba players in our little syndicate used tubas with a simple strap. I used the shoulder strap from my tuba case. Having a strap over the should and across the back was way more comfortable than a Sousaphone, besides the tuba seemed to be a much more efficient sounding horn. At that time I sported a York "Cefesco Model" rotary recording bass, presumably from Bohn and Meinl. It hung comfortably and even after five 45 minute sets, there was little or no shoulder discomfort. I could never see how anyone thought the sousaphone or helicon was an improvement. In 1969 I spent the year in Europe in an international university program. While there, I was introduced to all sorts of European military bands and never saw one Sousaphone. The only helicons I saw were in antique stores. My point, use a tuba with a strap and forget the shoulder pain from a Sousaphone. Its also easier to go through doorways. Also you would be surprised that a 4/4 tuba really does not seem all that heavy with a strap. I'm not sure I would even worry about getting that smallish 3/4 model.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Good point about going through doorways, and vertical clearance in general. When you hit a sign or something overhead, the force is transmitted via mouthpiece to your face. Walking with front (side) valves works better for me than top valves.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

Thanks Paul. I'm gonna take that advise. I've actually spoken to a few people about tubas they're selling and none of them are 3/4. I'm looking for the best one I can afford that isn't to heavy. I may try to find one with a recording bell. A few people have suggested that because I'll be playing outdoors at times.
oldpatterns
bugler
bugler

Post by oldpatterns »

If you are in the Boston area and looking at the Chinese tubas - try contacting Anthem Instruments. They have 2 b Flat tubas http://www.antheminstruments.com/brass.htm#a2000_tuba" target="_blank. My son used to play the 4 value - it is a 186 Miraphone clone. I believe David French Music sells their instruments. Yes, it is another variation on the Chinese tubas - but you would be able to test the one you got. Anthem also did repairs on our instrument we got from them since, we lived near them. Both tubas include a case. Their 4 value rotary tuba sounded better when we used it with a different mouthpiece.

https://www.davidfrenchmusic.com" target="_blank

-michelle
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

ditto this! I have an old Yamaha 103 just for these types of gigs, small dixie trio stuff, works great.

ken k
the little jupiter three valvers (386?) work great too. I have two of them at my elementary school and they play very well.

TheGoyWonder wrote:I don't think there's a better 3/4 tuba than these (all the same):
Olds O-99/O-99-1
Reynolds Contempora (fixed bell)
Bach 869/879

Almost as good:
Conn 12J/15J/5J

Still pretty good. Best for carrying:
Yamaha YBB-103

All easy to find. Usually mislabeled on ebay or in a Craigslist titled simply "tuba". They all shrug off moderate body damage and continue to play fine. Also these are rarely played to death, usually cast aside early in life after body damage so tend to have great valve compression.
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

I would also suggest the Yamaha YBB-103. These were also sold under the Holton brand. The most musically uncompromised 3/4 BBb I've come across, bar none. Easy handling, great valves, workable intonation, predictable response, and surprisingly rich tone with a good solid core. These are really handy instruments to have around.

One thing to consider: Down the road, should you decide to sell your 3/4 BBb, a 103 will be easy to resell--this model has a lot of fans here on TubeNet--and you'll probably be able to at least recover what you paid for it.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

An older horn is fine as long as the valveset is good and you are not looking for pretty. I think you should be able to find one. I also think that the Yamaha YBB-103 would be a fine choice. I have a Jim Laabs shop two miles from my home and have never been impressed with the tubas (their 4 valve compensating Euph is nice though). I am considering a Wessex.