sousaphone position while sitting

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

sousaphone position while sitting

Post by Donn »

The question came up in another thread, and it's one I've struggled with a bit, so here it is in its own thread: what's a good way to play sousaphone from a seated position? For full credit,
- not supporting the sousaphone's weight on one shoulder (this from the other thread.)
- not assymetric, i.e. leaning neither to left nor right
- sitting with butt in the middle of the chair, where it almost has to go if you get one of those plastic stacking chairs with the sort of dished seat
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: sousaphone position while sitting

Post by Art Hovey »

While in 7th grade playing a little Eb tuba in All-County band I was seated beside another kid with a sousaphone. The bell slowly descended until it rested on my head. I concluded that when the player is seated the proper position for a sousaphone is lying flat on the floor, or hanging on the band room wall.
tubasaz
bugler
bugler

Post by tubasaz »

To me its best when my Sousa just is on balance on my both legs. Under my left foot I keep something to raise it a little. On my left shoulder there is some soft foam so sousa feels comfortable and is not stressing my shoulder too much. I also choose my chair and its position very carefully. Because the sousa is on balance its relatively easy to keep on playing even longer times.
Monzani BBb--Conn 20K--Benge 290--Soprano Sax
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Like the Sousa band picture posted above, I turn my chair so the back is more to the left. Not only for rehearsals for summer outdoor gigs, but I have a semi-annual gig where the stage is such that the only way to get projection off the stage is to use either a recording bell or a souzy.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Joemac
bugler
bugler

Post by Joemac »

iiipopes wrote:Like the Sousa band picture posted above, I turn my chair so the back is more to the left. Not only for rehearsals for summer outdoor gigs, but I have a semi-annual gig where the stage is such that the only way to get projection off the stage is to use either a recording bell or a souzy.
Does that take pressure of your shoulder or does it just allow you to sit comfortably?
Walter Webb
3 valves
3 valves
Location: Somewhere in the boondocks between Sacramento and Reno

Post by Walter Webb »

Someday I'm going to make a seat accessory where you sit on a slightly buttock molded pan with a straight up post and arm to set the Sousa circle upon for support ... It will be able to set upon any chair, and your body weight will hold it in place...
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Think a sousaphone mount could be added to one of those battery powered scooters to make a motorized sousaphone? Likely it has been done.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Donn wrote:Think a sousaphone mount could be added to one of those battery powered scooters to make a motorized sousaphone? Likely it has been done.
I cannot remember the name of the show. It was on PBS and it was about Native American bands. The sousaphone player was in a jazzy like chair for a parade. If you can't march anymore why not.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Joemac wrote:
iiipopes wrote:Like the Sousa band picture posted above, I turn my chair so the back is more to the left. Not only for rehearsals for summer outdoor gigs, but I have a semi-annual gig where the stage is such that the only way to get projection off the stage is to use either a recording bell or a souzy.
Does that take pressure of your shoulder or does it just allow you to sit comfortably?
A souzy is a souzy. It just gets the back of the chair out of the way of the back of the bugle.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I play Sousaphone at home sitting on a drum throne without a back, I can get a position nearly identical to standing if I raise the height of the stool as high as it goes so my right leg isn't hitting the horn.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H