Books on tuba technique

The bulk of the musical talk
BenJonesUMW
lurker
lurker

Books on tuba technique

Post by BenJonesUMW »

Hello, anyone know any good books on technique for tuba , ive been playing tuba for about 4 years now however I never really learned the basics. My tone and overall playing is alright but there are so pretty big holes in my technique for instance I get double buzz all of the time, I can't do pedal notes, my lip slurs are alright but I'd like them to be near perfect, and the biggest thing that's doesn't really have to do with technique but certainly affects how motivated I am about the tuba is that other than concert band at my college I don't have any big performances or gigs I consistently play in. I've never seen any solo tuba pieces or duets , I've searched for music featuring just the tuba or has the tuba as a solo instrument and have found little. I'd like to be able to hear a real tuba performance somewhere and have yet to find anything other than military bands maybe , any suggestions?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Books on tuba technique

Post by iiipopes »

BenJonesUMW wrote:Hello, anyone know any good books on technique for tuba , ive been playing tuba for about 4 years now however I never really learned the basics. My tone and overall playing is alright but there are so pretty big holes in my technique for instance I get double buzz all of the time, I can't do pedal notes, my lip slurs are alright but I'd like them to be near perfect, and the biggest thing that's doesn't really have to do with technique but certainly affects how motivated I am about the tuba is that other than concert band at my college I don't have any big performances or gigs I consistently play in. I've never seen any solo tuba pieces or duets , I've searched for music featuring just the tuba or has the tuba as a solo instrument and have found little. I'd like to be able to hear a real tuba performance somewhere and have yet to find anything other than military bands maybe , any suggestions?
What the entire TNFJ would say if we could make a collective post: call the nearest university that has an established instrumental music department and get a referral to a private teacher and take a course of lessons.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Books on tuba technique

Post by hup_d_dup »

The answer in the previous post is as good as any you're going to get.

If it is not possible for you to take private lessons, a less effective solution – but still better than relying on books only – would be to check the U.S. Army Field Band instructional video on tuba. http://www.armyfieldband.com/pages/education/tuba.html" target="_blank

If you don't have a teacher to evaluate your playing, it's a good idea to record yourself and critically evaluate areas that need improvement.

Still, one-to-one instruction is best.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?