Sound selection - Russian or Chinish tuba ?

The bulk of the musical talk
tubasaz
bugler
bugler

Sound selection - Russian or Chinish tuba ?

Post by tubasaz »

I have a problem: Currently I have a very old 3-valve Bb russian tuba (pre-Pete I suppose). It sound is actually very good - deep and very expressive - and so I like it very much. It sounds in tune in its whole range for a 3-valve. But its valve structure is very poor - valves cannot move speedly and securily enough so that playing would be pleasure or possible. (I have paid it 100 Euros).

Now to the point: How you folks feel - which one I should select:
a) a new St Pete tuba or b) China made tuba like 210L ?

The 210L tuba that I mean is heard at link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAf3fqb ... E65454C503" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Does that 210L Bb tuba have a deep sound in reality ? Youtube videos show that it plays well but I cannot hear that "deepness" that I am after. (Also I have already Wessex CC which have a good sound but no real deepness..).

Hmm.. its quite hard me to describe what I mean but I just hope that somebody would have some comment, please.
:tuba:
Monzani BBb--Conn 20K--Benge 290--Soprano Sax
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Sound selection - Russian or Chinish tuba ?

Post by Michael Bush »

tubasaz wrote: Does that 210L Bb tuba have a deep sound in reality ? Youtube videos show that it plays well but I cannot hear that "deepness" that I am after.
As you point out, it's hard for anyone else to know if that tuba will give you what you are after, and of course a great deal of what you hear in the video you link is the sound of Tom, not just the sound of the tuba. But maybe you could listen to him playing the 410 CC (there are several videos of that) and compare it to his sound on the 210 and see if the difference you're looking for is there. If it is with him playing, perhaps it may be with you playing.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Sound selection - Russian or Chinish tuba ?

Post by iiipopes »

Pix! Please post pix!

If it plays that well, it might be worth taking to a tech to see if the linkage can be adjusted or modified, and that would cost much, much less than a new tuba, and even less than a good quality used tuba.

My vote is to fix the linkage and keep on playing. It could be something as simple as replacing worn out springs. (It sounds like it has "clockwork" linkage with spiral leaf springs in housings. If they wear out, there is nothing to return the valves.)
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.