The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Review of new Wessex Berg F Tuba: 'Berg is Beautiful'

Post by bisontuba »

michael_glenn wrote:
bisontuba wrote:
Bob Kolada wrote:Is it the 1st valve tubing that's too short overall or just the amount of slide? The fold in the fifth valve tubing seems odd; it's way above the actual slides and is still above the top bow.

Hi-
1st valve slide is short BUT with other things done to the horn, it is the right length....no problems with notes fingered 1 or 1-2.
5th valve slide with the loop now allows notes with 5th valve to play in tune...and it isn't that odd a design...see any Rudi tuba with 5 valves..
Regards-
Mark
The Hirsbrunner HB-2 fifth valve slide is also doubled over. I would know. I have one.
Hi-
Yup, that is what I meant...I was thinking Custom Music of old...my post corrected..Tnx!
Mark
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

My point is the specific placing of the fold, I think it should be lower down.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Bob Kolada wrote:My point is the specific placing of the fold, I think it should be lower down.
Why? It is not in the way of anything?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

58mark wrote:it does look bizarre, no doubt
Similar to a Hirsbrunner....

bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

58mark wrote:At least the 'brunner is folded in half. The Berg slide sticks way up over the body of the tuba and then take a fold a in the last few inches. If you are you going to fold it, why fold it so late?

that's my opinion
I don't know if they 'experimented' in the 'folding' of it or not.....all I know is that it works, which was is all I care about...
Mark
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I am no technical expert, but tight bends at certain points depending on the nodes may be detrimental to playing. We found that bending as is worked well, so that is what was done.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Neptune wrote:I am no technical expert, but tight bends at certain points depending on the nodes may be detrimental to playing. We found that bending as is worked well, so that is what was done.
Works for me....literally.... :D
Guest User
bugler
bugler

Post by Guest User »

Any more pictures of this tuba? Or recordings? I think I want one. It sounds like a really good tuba to me. The price is still beyond what I can afford, but I can save. <blush> I want to learn F tuba better than the little bit I have done in the past.
This space intentionally left blank.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

From their website.....FYI..

http://www.wessex-tubas.com/product/tf435-f-tuba-berg/" target="_blank
Neil Bliss
bugler
bugler

Post by Neil Bliss »

I picked up a Berg a couple of months ago to use for quintet work. The rotors definitely could use some post-factory tuneup, and the tuning slide tolerances are a bit on the sloppy side, but it's a serviceable horn for the money. Playing wise, I have to play D using 3rd valve to get it in tune, and the low C and B natural are stuffy as heck. Other than that, it's a fine horn (again, for the money).
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^ Interesting post in contrast to the OP.

The fifth wrap looks odd, but tubas just look odd anyway.

I think it would be weird to adjust the fifth slide while playing, since you can't grab the middle of the crook easily. Meh.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Neil Bliss wrote:I picked up a Berg a couple of months ago to use for quintet work. The rotors definitely could use some post-factory tuneup, and the tuning slide tolerances are a bit on the sloppy side, but it's a serviceable horn for the money. Playing wise, I have to play D using 3rd valve to get it in tune, and the low C and B natural are stuffy as heck. Other than that, it's a fine horn (again, for the money).
Hi-
Interesting...you must have played a horn much different than the one I have. D is in tune, and low C & B are as open as a piston F tuba. Rotors are slow. Tuning slide on mine is fine...rotors/ linkage/mechanical Issues are going to be serviced shortly. I do know that they have been working on refining this instrument. Perhaps the one you tried was an earlier prototype model?
Too bad you played a Berg that was not like mine.....next time, try another one and see how it is...I think you'll have a much better experience.
Best Regards-
Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Review of new Wessex Berg : 'Berg is Beautiful'clone'

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Just got my Berg F back from my repairman. It's even better than before! Linkage is now quiet, gunk inside valves and back rotor caps is gone and cleaned, two rotors lapped because a bit tight ( like Yamaha!), silicone bumpers replaced plus some other things I wanted....minor stuff--everything totaled less than $100!! Rotors still slowish. The horn needs 10,000 miles put on it now :D ---as a repairman friend of mine jokingly says....and I couldn't be happier.
Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Sat May 27, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balchb
bugler
bugler

Post by balchb »

Same thing happened with my CC.. Very cool!
Wessex CC "Mahler" raw brass
chancek31
bugler
bugler

Post by chancek31 »

How would the Berg compare to the bmb 445? Looking to buy soon and found a few bmb horns in my price range. I've played on the bmb and like it, but after reading, it seems like the Berg might be the way to go.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Depends on which BMB F you tried--18" bell or 16" bell. The BMB's are very nice F tubas. Really love the 16" bell version. The Berg is too but is more of a Bass Tuba --F Tuba --sound. Depends on what type of 'sound' you are looking for.....
Good luck!
Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Sat May 27, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

The BMB with the larger bell is a great horn. Had one now for 2 years. Wide open sound that can go from a delicate pianissimo to a huge fortissimo. Intonation is pretty good, but then no horns are perfect. It is very managable in that regard. The low register is huge and that 4th valve CC is ridiculously easy. I've had some modifications done to it and plan several more as well, particularly a spring loaded stick on the main tuning slide. You might say it is an F BAT, and like the CC Bats there are a few quirks, but nothing serious.The sound and response far outweigh any other negative issues. I plan on keeping this as my "go to" horn. It is a piston 6/4 F, so don't expect it to come off like a 4/4 or 5/4 F rotary.
I love how the upper range is so clear sounding. It seems like there is no fighting or unnecessary resistance. It can do much of what a CC can, but of course, even though the low register is there and very solid, it does not have the total gravitas of the CC. For that I use the CC BAT.
Dick Barth has supplied the horn with a Helleberg style mp, medium large volume. (Similar to the Conn 120.) This piece and others like it repond extremely well on this horn. For my tastes, I find it a tad better than going the small or shallow route. Comparing the BMB to the Berg is like Apples and Oranges. The two are much different intentionally and one is not necessarily better or worse. They are both tools that are used to do a job and it is up to the player to pull it off.

One last thought, I love the ergonomics of this tuba. It is not awfully heavy, sits nicely on the right thigh, and the valve block is relatively low and (for me at least) has a very positive effect on blood supply to the right hand. See picture in my avatar.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

I've had a Berg now for about a month so I thought I'd chime briefly. The Berg is indeed beautiful.

PROS:
Great intonation throughout the range
Nice open low range
Very even blow throughout the range
Price
Silver finish looks great
Got a free gig bag since it doesn't fit in the hard case with the 5th valve slide installed.

NOT SO PRO:
Valves and linkage do need a going through
Main tuning slide needs to be cut, mine is in all the way and could go in another 1/4" or so if possible.
Main tuning slide is level with the bottom bow, so if it did need to be pulled out at all it would be below the bottom bow
Bell and bottom bow not aligned perfectly when assembled and a couple gobs of solder are visible looking down the bell
Last edited by Ken Crawford on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Your tuning slide is longer than mine. I have my tuning slide out about an inch & it is not even or lower than the bottom bow.

Check to make sure stop arms are not too long. If they are, screws will bottom out and create a lot of noise. A repairman can fix that.
Having said that, JinBao does need to address their linkage on all their horns...the metal ball & socket parts and paddles/finger touches especially. It has gotten better, but still needs to be improved.
Enjoy your new F & good luck-
Mark
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

WOW! Your MTS is way shorter! Weird.