TubaChristmas -- indoors or outdoors?

The bulk of the musical talk

Do you prefer TubaChristmas to be indoors or outdoors?

Indoors
68%
Outdoors
32%

Total votes: 34

bort
6 valves
6 valves

TubaChristmas -- indoors or outdoors?

Post by bort »

Do you prefer an indoor or outdoor TubaChristmas?

I have to say, I strongly prefer the outdoor ones. The indoor ones seem too formal and too "concert-like", whereas the outdoor ones seem more festive and at an appropriate amount of non-seriousness, and are far less committal for the audience (stop by and watch a song or two, instead of committing to sitting quietly for the whole concert). It's hard to get new people to go to a concert hall or a church, instead of just catching them where they already are (major outdoor areas).

I dunno, the idea of being in a church or concert hall, like every other concert, and playing with hundreds of other tuba players just isn't the most appealing thing to me. I think the outdoor ones sound better, too, and make more sense for the arrangements.

What do you all think?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: TubaChristmas -- indoors or outdoors?

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:TubaMemorialDay is usually great outdoors.
TubaValentinesDay is usually better indoors.
You ***. :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:TubaMemorialDay is usually great outdoors.
TubaValentinesDay is usually better indoors.
Did you get permission from the Harvey Phillips Foundation to use those terms?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:

I dunno, the idea of being in a church or concert hall, like every other concert, and playing with hundreds of other tuba players just isn't the most appealing thing to me. I think the outdoor ones sound better, too, and make more sense for the arrangements.

What do you all think?
A mall or pavilion seems like a good compromise.

If i'm playing, and it's cold or raining, I don't go out!!

Especially if it's TubaNewYear.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

In NYC, back in 1981, it was minus 18 degrees, wind chill factor. We played for around 10 minutes, when and until most instruments' valves froze. It was torture and I swore I would never play there again. Shortly after that, Harvey asked me to be an area coordinator and so it was.

I think on the average, in NYC, for Tubachristmas, it would be in the upper 30's to low 40's over all of those years. It's tolerable, but not exactly comfortable. But, when you have a venue like the Rockefeller Center Ice Skating Rink under the big Christmas tree, with thousands of people watching you, how can you not like it.  (Otherwise, I would prefer indoors.)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The last time I did the NYC one, it was probably 35 degrees and a little rainy. It was gross, but fun.

Come to think of it, indoors is fine, but I think a seated audience it makes it seem like a more serious event than it is. I think it's supposed to be silly, and something easy to access. When I think of a church or concert hall, I think the people going are just the friends and family of the people on-stage. Who probably already are no strangers to tuba stuff because of us. Conspicuously put the concert in a public place, where you will intentionally get a LOT of people who don't know anything about it. I think that's more fun for everyone.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Also true for Baltimore. Outdoors (at the harbor) is great. Indoors (in a shopping mall, scattered throughout over multiple levels) is a disaster. I'm not sure they even have the indoor option anymore, I think they straight up cancelled it one year.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

That was last year!!

I didn't think there was a Mall at Inner Harbor, maybe some inside space where a few shops are....

Even a large subway station has possibilities.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Three Valves wrote:That was last year!!

I didn't think there was a Mall at Inner Harbor, maybe some inside space where a few shops are....

Even a large subway station has possibilities.
This place. We'd stand all around on the various levels. Probably looked nice. Sounded like hell.

Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:
This place. We'd stand all around on the various levels. Probably looked nice. Sounded like hell.
The space has potential.

Standing at different levels was a mistake.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Three Valves wrote:
bort wrote:
The space has potential.

Standing at different levels was a mistake.
Yep. Just really not a huge open space in there, and with 200+ people, it's a little tight. Oh well, I still liked it more than a concert hall. :| Or a concrete bunker? :!:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

TC with more than 100 participants should be forbidden.

(Except NYC maybe)

4 50 person events are better than 1 200 :)
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

I have had rave reviews for our indoor Merry Tuba Christmas Bel Air, Maryland celebrating its 8th year:

When: 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM, Sunday, December 20, 2014
Where: Bel Air Armory, 37 Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014
Rehearsal: 3:00 PM at the Armory
Registration Fee: $10.00 for performers.
Audience admitted free of charge.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Also, why are so many on Sundays, and not Saturdays?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bort wrote:Also, why are so many on Sundays, and not Saturdays?
I agree - Sundays can be a little inconvenient.

However, it's predicted to be °67 F here in NYC this coming Sunday..... :D
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Ours is tomorrow, Always the second Saturday in December, at Pioneer Square under a big canopy. Most of us will stay dry, but the crowd will be huge in spite of the rain, for the 25th time. Here in Portland, OR, we run from 200 to over 300 players. I am the best dressed and have the biggest tuba with my silver 6/4 York, with its 26" recording bell and a mouth piece that will not go into any other tuba. A picture of my tuba with me in my elf costume made the Oregonian's 101 best picture list in 2014. But you can not see my face.

Out of costume, I am just a little, short, fat, old, guy with way to many musical toys.

Jose, Aka Charlie C. Chowder
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Bort, you are now in Minnesota, get a grip. Think 3 feet of fresh snow, a howling wind and 20 below. (Yes, it happened two years ago.) For practical reasons in harsh climate areas, indoors in the way to go. Mall of America is effectively out doors. The mix of instruments change indoors versus outdoors. You get a lot more Sousaphones outdoors. I think you get a lot more interesting horns indoors. Your right, the audience is different. I like it when the audience listens. We did do Mall of America a few years ago. They let us play 45 minutes then stopped us because they were afraid we would break the foundations of the building. Well, 300 tubas could do that I guess. Tuba Christmas is a circus for the players no matter if it is indoors or out. I think the music is better indoors, you can hear the intonation of the group better and if you are listening, will play better. The disadvantage of indoor is you have a lot less room. They are in churches mostly because not many other indoor spaces can handle the group and auditoriums usually charge a rent. They are on Sunday because that is when the churches are available. Any more questions?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Being in south Florida, have to go with outdoors.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

opus37 wrote:Bort, you are now in Minnesota, get a grip.
Oh jeez, I wasn't implying anything that the one last week in the twin cities should have been outdoors -- you're totally right about that! Certainly when there are practical limitations, that wins out over just about anything else, and clearly that's fine. Yes, there are benefits to both, just voicing my preferences and an accumulation of thoughts after doing a bunch of these over the years -- some good, some bad, most just fine. The one last week was very nice.

The worst one I've been to will go unnamed... but was in a small town, in a small out of the way venue, and had both a small crowd and a small group of performers. It was indoors on a nice day, and the conductor wanted to TALK talk talk talk. It was like a concert, and had an intermission. I think it lasted well over 2 hours, maybe close to 2.5. I wanted to leave in the middle, but I stuck it out, politely said goodbye, and didn't go back again.

Anyway, I'll quit my bitchin'. :tuba:
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

bort wrote:
opus37 wrote:Bort, you are now in Minnesota, get a grip.
Oh jeez, I wasn't implying anything that the one last week in the twin cities should have been outdoors -- you're totally right about that! Certainly when there are practical limitations, that wins out over just about anything else, and clearly that's fine. Yes, there are benefits to both, just voicing my preferences and an accumulation of thoughts after doing a bunch of these over the years -- some good, some bad, most just fine. The one last week was very nice.

The worst one I've been to will go unnamed... but was in a small town, in a small out of the way venue, and had both a small crowd and a small group of performers. It was indoors on a nice day, and the conductor wanted to TALK talk talk talk. It was like a concert, and had an intermission. I think it lasted well over 2 hours, maybe close to 2.5. I wanted to leave in the middle, but I stuck it out, politely said goodbye, and didn't go back again.

Anyway, I'll quit my bitchin'. :tuba:
Frankly, I did not take your post as a bitch. I just used your comments to make my points. I would have not stayed for your 2 hour fiasco. That's not Tuba Christmas. That is ........ I've played the small group of players like that too. I much prefer the larger group for pick up performance like Tuba Christmas. If I play in a small group I want it practiced with a group that has some experience playing together. Otherwise, you end up with noise.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5