Upgrading from the helleberg

The bulk of the musical talk
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Upgrading from the helleberg

Post by PaulMaybery »

I seem to forget as much as I remember these days. A few years ago in a conversation the topic of Helleberg rims came up. The point of the discussion was what is referred to as a "Chicago" rim verses an "Indiana" rim. One being rather flat the other more rounded. I can not remember which was which, nor the reference to the terminology. Any sages out there who can fill me in? (Conn, Geib, Schilke, Jacobs ?????)
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stryk wrote:If an arranger/composer knows what they are doing, they won't write anything above middle C or lower than EE.
I just got my part for the Elgar transcription of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue. The highest note for tuba is an Eb above the staff. I guess you can't blame Bach, so it must be Elgar that didn't know what he was doing. I also played the Shostakovich 12th Symphony earlier this season. It does down to a low D. So, Shostakovich also did not know what he was doing.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

bloke wrote:
Mark wrote:
Stryk wrote:If an arranger/composer knows what they are doing, they won't write anything above middle C or lower than EE.
I just got my part for the Elgar transcription of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue. The highest note for tuba is an Eb above the staff. I guess you can't blame Bach, so it must be Elgar that didn't know what he was doing. I also played the Shostakovich 12th Symphony earlier this season. It does down to a low D. So, Shostakovich also did not know what he was doing.
1/ Great composers (just like great performers) sometimes take risks.

2/ Typically, I don't imagine truly great composers thinking of any-piece-in-particular (during its composition process) as "Grade 2", "Grade 4", or "Grade 6"...eh?

:|
Elgar, in particular British fashion, probably wrote the tuba part with an Eb tuba in mind. :tuba:
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:Some cup shapes seem to generally offer better chances (than some others) at more pleasant-sounding "hues" (??) of tone production...particularly when matched (trial-and-error) to a player and an instrument.
+1!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

bloke wrote:Some cup shapes seem to generally offer better chances (than some others) at more pleasant-sounding "hues" (??) of tone production...particularly when matched (trial-and-error) to a player and an instrument.
Of the four mouthpieces which remain in my collection, each offers its own unique "hue" without a doubt. Same player, same horn. The Stofer Geib is extremely mellow, almost muffled, and seems, to me, to possess the least core or clarity (pardon if I'm not using the correct descriptors). The GW Bayamo is the brightest sounding of the bunch, perhaps too much core or clarity. Not as complex or interesting a hue. The complexity and interest of sound (overtones?) increases with the Blokepiece Symphony, with and without Profundo, but even moreso with the PT-50, the PT-50 offering more punch and drive when I need it than the Blokepiece which is on the mellower side of the two. Currently using the PT-50 which seems very well matched to my PT clone horn and with which I receive the best feedback.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

While it would be fun to join in the chest-beating and say it doesn't matter what mouthpiece I chuck in the old tuba, maybe I could play as well on something made of a soup can and a soda straw and with a half hour's practice produce the same sweet tones as ever ...

... I'm even more pleased to confirm that the Faxx "HB" Helleberg is a delight to play, with a clear, full tone that I think puts my other mouthpieces in the shade all around. I've been suggesting that people buy this mouthpiece for quite some time, because economical, Helleberg, what's not to like? ... now I'm kicking myself, should have taken my own advice years ago.

Is the rim narrow and flat, uncomfortable for the OP? This I can't say for sure. I don't play with any pressure to speak of, so the fact that it's comfortable for me means little - rims don't bother me much. (Though a really round rim can be particularly tiring for some reason.) I believe the rim might be somewhat optimized, as described above with the photo, but not wide, and it does have a certain flatness without which it wouldn't really be a Helleberg.
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

bloke wrote:picture - to me - suggests a "Bach 7"-style rim
+1
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Billy M. wrote:If an arranger/composer knows what they are doing, they won't write anything above middle C or lower than EE.

2/ Typically, I don't imagine truly great composers thinking of any-piece-in-particular (during its composition process) as "Grade 2", "Grade 4", or "Grade 6"...eh?

Elgar, in particular British fashion, probably wrote the tuba part with an Eb tuba in mind. :tuba:
F tuba.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

J.c. Sherman wrote:
Billy M. wrote:If an arranger/composer knows what they are doing, they won't write anything above middle C or lower than EE.

F tuba.
Bass tuba. Beyond that it's semantics ;)
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Billy M. wrote:
J.c. Sherman wrote:

F tuba.
Yes, but the point is that in Elgar's day it was only the F tuba. Nothing else in British orchestras...
Peach
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Billy M. wrote:
J.c. Sherman wrote:

F tuba.

Choose your equipment accordingly. Orchestra tuba parts have been in that range since the mid 19th century. Wagner, Brahms, Bruckner...
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

Schilke Helleberg II
G&W Taku
Schilke 66

I've had the same issues (except for the 4-octave range). My lips still get a bit tired with the Taku, but not as much as with a Conn. I think the SHII is just the ticket for a Helleberg sound/feel while being better for stamina.
CooperBayliff
bugler
bugler

Post by CooperBayliff »

Mark wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:40 pm
A composer can write as low or as high as they want. Also 4 valve tubas have been a thing since at least the early 1900's. Playing lower than EE (I'm assuming you mean E1), is going to be easy for any tuba with more than 3 valves.
MW 195P Fafner - Doug Elliott MP
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

OK, since this Zombie thread has been resurrected, I will update as well. I sold my other tubas about two years ago and purchased a Jupiter BBb JTU1110 tuba, the one after Jupiter implemented Patrick Sheridan's suggestions. Great tuba. But...I didn't like the tone, intonation, or response of any of my mouthpieces. So I sold them all except for my custom 18 from Jim New and my Kelly for outdoors. I found a Conn Helleberg a few years old that has a decent throat, 1.28 cup i.d., and most importantly, a slightly rounded rim similar to a Wick 1, both outer and more importantly inner contour. So if the OP is still looking for a mouthpiece, keep trying out Conn 120S Hellebergs from different years to find one with a rim that is comfortable. As I can attest, also having played the sharp rim versions, they are out there; you just have to look for one.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.