What kind of mouthpiece?...

The bulk of the musical talk
Grandpa
lurker
lurker

What kind of mouthpiece?...

Post by Grandpa »

Hey guys just a simple question, what kind of mouthpieces do you recommend?

I know it's all preference, but I still want some feedback on your personal favorites and such. I'm going to go up to Baltimore Brass in the next few weeks to scope out a mouthpiece and tuba so I just want some input to know what to look for.

I currently have a Conn-Helleberg "regular" mouthpiece. I know a lot of people use this one and it's pretty common for mid level players. I feel that I've out grown it and want a new one. I've played on a PT-50 and it was okay, but still not quite what I was looking for.

For all intensive (INTENTS AND... sheesh, sorry for not googling the exact phrase peoplr!)purposes, I'll be a high school band teacher so I won't really need anything over the top fancy, but I still have 2 years left in college so I'd want something with a lot of pros and not very many "conn"s. Thanks!

-Kev

EDIT: I do not have an instrument that I am currently using. Should I buy one first? I plan on either buying a tuba from BBC or the Tuba Exchange.

From BBC just looking at pictures I like the:
Hilton 345 cc
The Wiseman's
JZ 5v (wife likes the price...)
Last edited by Grandpa on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: What kind of mouthpiece?...

Post by thevillagetuba »

What horn are you going to use and what characteristics would you want from the mouthpiece and horn combination? With different horns I have liked the LM-4 (old style), GW Bayamo, GW Caver, GW Szentpali, GW Szentpali F, Sellmansberg Symphony, and I'm sure more that I can't remember. The Conn Helleberg is a great mouthpiece for many situations, but it is hard to make recommendations without knowing what you are looking for and what it is going into.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Frankly, just show up at BBC and ask them for some advice. Fedderly is as good as it gets, and he can surely make a few good suggestions for you.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

BBC also has an array of second hand pieces to try.

"Intensive porpoises"

I'm using that!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I bet a quarter a lot of players would, if they could have only one mouthpiece, choose their standard Helleberg.
Grandpa wrote:I know a lot of people use this one and it's pretty common for mid level players. I feel that I've out grown it and want a new one.
There are mid level players, but there is no mid level mouthpiece. Seriously.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

The Conn-Helleberg is not only for mid level players. The only time I made the finals at a symphony orchestra audition, that was my primary mouthpiece.

Also, there is really no way one can make an informed recommendation without knowing some additional information. Mainly, what kind of tuba do you play? There are mouthpieces that would work well on a 6/4 BAT, but would not necessarily be compatible with a smaller instrument. It may also make a difference whether you play a piston valve tuba vs. a rotary valve instrument.

For example, (although it does not apply to me), I have read many posts saying that players often prefer a Geib style mouthpiece for rotary tubas and prefer Helleberg style mouthpieces for piston tubas. I play a Rudy 5/4 CC and do not like the sound I get with a Geib as much as do when I play a Helleberg.

The other pertinent information needed for a recommendation concerns what you are looking for in terms of sound. Is there something specific you don't like about the Conn-Helleberg? Its not very helpful to write a post saying what are some good mouthpieces? What is good for me might be really bad for you, and vice versa.

Finally, many online retailers have relatively liberal return policies, so you can try out different mpouthpieces for yourself, and then return them (in good condition), for a small restocking fee (or a full refund, depending on the store).
Andy
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

How about "In tents and papooses??"

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Grandpa wrote:I'm going to go up to Baltimore Brass in the next few weeks to scope out a mouthpiece and tuba
Excellent idea. Nothing we can tell you here will come near the guidance and opportunities to try things you will get there. Just go in there ready to learn and the rest will take care of itself.

By the way, if BBC is "up" and close enough to go "in the next few weeks", maybe the USABTEW next week is even closer both in distance and in time. BBC will be there along with several other sellers of mouthpieces and tubas. And the price of admission is exactly the same.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Trying new mouthpieces: I used to fall into a trap when swapping back and forth in a vain attempt to find the "perfect" MP. I would spend quite a bit of time playing the 1st one. Then, I would take a moment to put the horn down and change pieces. What I did not realize was happening was this: In playing, it was like any exercise, approaching what physical gym trainers call, "momentary muscle failure" added to that was a slightly diminished blow flow to the lip tissues from obvious MP pressure. In just the few seconds it would take to swap mouthpieces, the muscles reset and the blood flow returned. The sensation was much different than when I had left off, and I falsely attributed that to the mouthpiece. When in reality, it was simply "recovery." I suppose I can be rather 'dense' at times, but whatever mp I would switch to had the same positive effect. This dawned on me when I switched to an identical piece and thought it was so much better than the previous. They both were identical Hellebergs. Duh!!! So my point, if there be one: One can be seduced for that brief "honeymoon" period on the MP. Try making your judgement after a substantial amount of time when that effect has had time to wear off. Then ask yourself, do you sound better, fuller, more flexible etc, etc.??? Also take the MP to a gig and find out how it works together with your chops when you are on stage, trying to project and or blend, and also dealing with dry chops, cold room temp and all sort of other influences that you can not control. I've gone through a virtual "safari" when it comes to MPs, trying to find the absolute best one for me. Personally, it seems to be about having a "trusty friend" that I can rely on. I keep going back to a Jacobs style Helleberg. I can plug it into the horn and forget about it and just play the music.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

Paul's advice is great. Heed it.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

I'm a big fan of the PT-50 size mouthpieces, at the moment I'm using one sold by Carolina Crown. Also the Hammond 30XL