Choosing a large 5v Bb Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Choosing a large 5v Bb

Postby roweenie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:38 pm

I wonder if a King 2268 4 valve set would work....I seem to recall it has a .562 bore, and that the "English" euphonium(s) are around .590?

Then again, harvesting a 4 valve set off a King seems kind of counterproductive......
Trying to take life one day at a time
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:41 pm

I'd personally prefer front-action...you know: like the really highly-paid players use :P ...except with pistons.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Bob Kolada » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:00 am

roweenie wrote:I wonder if a King 2268 4 valve set would work....I seem to recall it has a .562 bore, and that the "English" euphonium(s) are around .590?

Then again, harvesting a 4 valve set off a King seems kind of counterproductive......

I have an Eb thing with a .562 King valve set, a 10" G baritone bell, and a bunch of .562 straight tubing; low Bb is fine, low C is great, and low B can be super rude. :twisted:

Therefore the valve set will work (and I've always liked the low range on .570 321's) but a Chinese/Cerveny .590 set with a short lead pipe might work better. I was actually tracking on a 321 body (nothing before the main slide) for quite a while on eBay even though I had no valve set for it. The best bet for us guys that want a big bore non comp front valve euph is one of those rotary valve sets on an appropriately sized body...

My not quite a solution is to get a King 2266/68, get a large shank receiver on there somehow, rework the 4th valve slide, and use it as a bass trombone sub. Or find one of the rare non comp Canadian Brass front valve euphs!
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Peach » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:52 am

TheGoyWonder wrote:Big problem with front-action euphonium is that the bell points the wrong way. In brass band, the euphonium soloist is traditionally front right. A front action euphonium points precariously in-your-face from that position, so the band has to relegate him to a center position and give his favored chair to somebody else. Usually flugelhorn, which actually sounds better pointing forward.

Better to use top action and keep the euphonium out front, it's a featured part for most of the duration of any brass band piece and at the volumes bands are currently reaching for it can get buried easily. It loses its niceness if the player has to try too hard.

Unless players end up with almost horizontal playing position for their front action Euph, I don't recognise this.
Here in the UK the Euphonium sound tends to dominate the band sound and that is in our best (also doubtless 'loudest') bands such as Black Dyke, Cory, Foden, Brighouse, Grimethorpe and Faireys (among others). Grimethorpe very frequently adopt the euphs in the middle seating plan and I'll be dammned if I can tell any real difference out in the hall.
On the subject of Flugels, I often find that a flugel (or cornet) played right at me ends up giving a predominance to the 'fluff' around the sound (forgive my technical language...) - not really what I want.

So I say let players sit wherever the hell they want, or what works best at least =)
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Lectron » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm

bloke wrote:
Peach wrote:Those people wondering why on earth someone would need a 5th valve on a Bb have probably never played in a high section competing brass band... Those parts are frequently tres mobile way down below standard orchestral rep and the flexibility of a 5th valve helps a lot.

...as does a 4-valve compensating system combined with a great instrument.

Pick one :wink: :tuba:
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Postby apkujala » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm

To original question:

I'd go for Nirschl
apkujala
lurker
lurker