Choosing a large 5v Bb

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Choosing a large 5v Bb

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:
tubeast wrote:If mine got ran over by said vehicle, I´d buy it (the horn) again anytime.
' certainly something to consider... :roll:

bloke "who never went out on a blind date with a girl described as 'sturdy'." :lol:
Um... he said he'd buy the horn again, not the car...

Tubeast -- when I was quoted a replacement cost (for insurance purposes) for my CC tuba, a Willson 3050RZ, it was a good bit more than what a Siegfried costs here in the US. I'm not sure what the 3100 BBb costs, but I'd doubt it's that much different.

If I were considering buying a brand new tuba I'd consider traveling to Europe to buy it (or at least ordering it from a European company). Even with shipping and duty/import fees, the savings could be quite significant and come out ahead. Or, take a trip to Europe to buy it in person, and spend the same amount as if you stayed home. Seriously, get me to the Alps any day.

My rotary Willson is (to me, and to others) a cut above the usual piston Willson horns (which I also like). The response, feedback, and liveliness are all more normal to what you'd expect out of another horn. If I were looking for a 5-valve BBb, I'd definitely consider a Willson. Yes, it would be heavy. But now that I am not living in NYC, and live a car-based life again, I've realized that carrying an extra couple of pounds around for a short distance is a minor inconvenience. Plus, once the tuba is in my lap, it's easy to hold and support.

When I got my WIllson, yes, I complained about the weight. But someone told me to either 1) get stronger or 2) buy a stand -- and I was too cheap to buy a stand. :D
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Steve Marcus wrote:Does anyone in North American even have a Melton 197/198?
The only one I've ever seen here was the one Alexander von Puttkamer brought with him when I saw the Berlin Philharmonic play in NYC a few years ago (I saw them in Berlin, as well). I believe it was a 4-valve. Funny looking tuba, ridiculously satisfying German kaiser sound, and Alexander is both a terrific player (duh!) and a really nice guy.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

I'm surprised no one yet has mentioned the BMB 765 or 764 BBb BAT. It is an orginal design and not a clone. The BMBs have incredible presence and projection. In some respects similar to Holton 345 but also a little like the CSO York. The low register including the 4th valve is clear, open and very powerful. The horn still has a great deal of focus, not a fluffy sound at all. Intonation is very manageable. Categorically, it is an American style tuba, and is best a producing an American 6/4 sound. I would not put it in the Kaiser category in that regard.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
binlove
bugler
bugler

Post by binlove »

bort wrote:The only one I've ever seen here was the one Alexander von Puttkamer brought with him when I saw the Berlin Philharmonic play in NYC a few years ago (I saw them in Berlin, as well). I believe it was a 4-valve. Funny looking tuba, ridiculously satisfying German kaiser sound, and Alexander is both a terrific player (duh!) and a really nice guy.
As a dedicated stalker of the Berlin Philharmonic on the Digital Concert Hall, I can wholeheartedly confirm that Alexander von Puttkamer has a ridiculously satisfying sound and plays with remarkable musical sensitivity. In fact, listening to his playing is what started my own search for a Kaiser Bb.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

binlove wrote:
bort wrote:The only one I've ever seen here was the one Alexander von Puttkamer brought with him when I saw the Berlin Philharmonic play in NYC a few years ago (I saw them in Berlin, as well). I believe it was a 4-valve. Funny looking tuba, ridiculously satisfying German kaiser sound, and Alexander is both a terrific player (duh!) and a really nice guy.
As a dedicated stalker of the Berlin Philharmonic on the Digital Concert Hall, I can wholeheartedly confirm that Alexander von Puttkamer has a ridiculously satisfying sound and plays with remarkable musical sensitivity. In fact, listening to his playing is what started my own search for a Kaiser Bb.
Awesome. I haven't gotten around to subscribing to the Digital Concert Hall yet, but have seriously considered it a few time.

I've been to a lot of concerts over the years, but when I went to Berlin and saw them live, I was seriously on the edge of my chair and stunned at what I was hearing. I don't remember at all what they played, I just remember it being absolutely amazing, and not a sound you can hear live here in the US... well, not until they came to New York, and I saw them live there (playing Bruckner 9).
Mark

Post by Mark »

PaulMaybery wrote:I'm surprised no one yet has mentioned the BMB 765 or 764 BBb BAT.
Do these still use a rubber band on the fifth valve?
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hi Mark. Re: the RUBBER BAND on the BMB. Sad to say, YES!!! But all things considered I, and others in high places, also feel it is about one of the finest 6/4 tubas out there. I have exchanged the rubber band for a neoprene O ring. And... have all the parts to convert and fashion a thumb lever and linkage. Finding the time is the issue. Seriously though, the horn is phenomenal accoustically as are all of the BMBs. The dependent 5th valve (off of the 4th) does make a noticable difference in the response of the horn. These are serious tubas to consider. The only criticsm I have is that they are perhaps too open and easy to blow. I find that I need to spend more time in learning how to conserve my wind with it, rather than just opening up the chops and blowing the lid off of things like a volcano. But the results, if you take the time to learn how the horn responds, are wonderful. The BMB can actually teach one a few things, but it take patience, and some intuition. But I do understand that some might want something that is a bit more - "plug and play." The BMB does require a personal relationship with it. But then --- look out!!!
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Thanks Tubenet! Good chat.
Peach
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Rick Denney wrote:My beef with the Willson 3100 was two-fold: 1.) there was no practical or useful place for my left hand, and 2.) the instrument didn't provide a lot of feedback, requiring a keener sense than I have to what is happening out front. Great sound, but seems to me not super-forgiving of players who lack big horsepower.
The left hand is meant to rest on the vented first valve slide so you can always pull it for fine tuning. Atleast that is where it is most comfortable for me. I love my Willson. I will agree though it definitely isn't for players who can't fill it up properly. It likes to put out watts.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

hrender wrote:
¡Ay, caramba! 1:18 forward just made my day.
YEAH! That's what I'm talking about!

Wait... If I love that sound so much, why am I not playing a Kaiser BBb? :oops:
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I don't know that piece that well but the delayed attacks bug me. Is it supposed to be like that? I like their Alpine Symphony excerpt better (hell of a cranker!).
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Bob Kolada wrote:I don't know that piece that well but the delayed attacks bug me. Is it supposed to be like that? I like their Alpine Symphony excerpt better (hell of a cranker!).
Well, it's Bach, so the tuba is simulating an organ here. I figured it was intentional to mimic the way an organ takes a little bit to really get going on the low notes.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Hey,
BMB 6/4 BBb is the best 6/4 BAT I have ever played, hands down.
Ask Gene Pokorny.
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Tubadork wrote:Hey,
Ask Gene Pokorny.
B
Dear Gene,

Is the BMB 6/4 BBb the best 6/4 BAT that Bill has ever played? Hands down?

:P :tuba:
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

bort wrote:
Tubadork wrote:Hey,
Ask Gene Pokorny.
B
Dear Gene,

Is the BMB 6/4 BBb the best 6/4 BAT that Bill has ever played? Hands down?

:P :tuba:
:lol:
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

DP wrote:
PaulMaybery wrote:I'm surprised no one yet has mentioned the BMB 765 or 764 BBb BAT. It is an orginal design and not a clone.
I think you are mistaken, Paul
When I refer to clones, I think of a simple digigal scan of a reference tuba and the subsequent recreation of it, in toto. Yes the bugle is based on a Holton. everything is based on something. The Holton is based on the older York. But from there the similarities seem to disolve and an interesting valve section, dependent 5th valve, etc seem to take things to a different level. A certain contingent of folks seem to think it is a much cleaner instrument than the 345 which over its history was rather inconsistent. Please go to the BMB website and read up on the ideas behind its creation. To quote another BMB enthusiast, "Dick Barth has hit a homerun with this horn." Either in BBb or CC.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

tuben wrote:
binlove wrote:As a dedicated stalker of the Berlin Philharmonic on the Digital Concert Hall, I can wholeheartedly confirm that Alexander von Puttkamer has a ridiculously satisfying sound and plays with remarkable musical sensitivity. In fact, listening to his playing is what started my own search for a Kaiser Bb.
Yes! https://youtu.be/dT6yuyULvDs
That is a VERY nice sound!

Even more on topic:
https://youtu.be/-pzTLk-thrQ
This is a 5-valve :wink: Rudi BBb, and quite a musician in the driver's seat!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

oedipoes wrote:Even more on topic:
Awesome! Is that a 4/4 or 5/4 Rudi? It doesn't seem too gigantic...
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

bort wrote:
oedipoes wrote:Even more on topic:
Awesome! Is that a 4/4 or 5/4 Rudi? It doesn't seem too gigantic...
It looks like a 4/4 Rudi by the size and flare of the bell stack. The delayed applause after the orchestra had finished caught me by surprise.
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

You'll never get that in America, that's for sure. I'm just happy when they don't clap after each movement. :roll: