TUSAB Tuba Review

The bulk of the musical talk
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: TUSAB Tuba Review

Post by Bill Troiano »

I have to admit that I spent more time conversing than playing tubas. It's been 4-5 years since I attended this conference and I was happy to catch up with people I haven't seen since moving to Texas. Of the tubas I played, Joe Burton's Conn CC ( a Matt Walters' creation) was the best tuba I played there. I was hoping Joe couldn't come up with the $$$, so I could buy it. I also liked the used small York CC at the BBC booth, although some pitches were noticeably sharp and it was difficult to access the 1st valve slide. I loved the sound, though. I also liked the used HB-1P at the BBC booth. I used to own one and loved it, but I got tendonitis playing it due to the valve spread and the way its center of gravity pulled it to my left. Those issues didn't seem to bother me on this tuba. Maybe, I've evolved somehow. Playing this HB made me miss mine. I also played a vintage 186 5U at the BBC booth. It was a nice tuba, but it didn't have the sound of the vintage 4U that I borrowed last year. I played the Ursus, and while I liked how it played, the notes slotted very well and it sounded really nice, it also had the angled leadpipe (like the Nirschls) that, to me, made it almost impossible to play without using a stand. The Wessex Wyvern was a pleasant surprise for me - nice to hold and play. It had a very even, and resonant sound with very quick response. Pitch seemed good and the price was nice too. The Eastman CC was a very nice tuba - 56J on steroids. I would love to find a 4 valve tuba of that size and sound. Joe B., are you tired of your new Conn yet? I only played 1 F tuba and that was the Miraphone Elektra at the Dillon Booth. I wasn't that impressed when I played it at TBA last summer because I just don't like playing rotary F's, but this time, either the tuba or me was very different. It's the best sounding and playing F rotary F tuba that I've ever played.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

I didn't play many tubas, and most of the ones I did play have been commented on already. The 4-valve Hirsbrunner BBC has was the one I spent the most time with. It's an excellent instrument, old enough to be handmade, apparently. Not sure I'd pay $8000 for it, but perhaps someone will. The best (to me) tuba I played was the Adams 4/4 CC, whatever that is called now, what used to be the HB21/HBS-392. But it is not by a long shot enough better than the similar Packer to justify the price difference to me. I played the Eastman CC and the Wessex Wyvern, as others did, and I have nothing really to add. One of those two had noticeably heavy valves or springs, but I don't remember which it was. The Wessex Berg feels solid in the hands and plays as others have said. I'm not much of an F player, but was hanging with a distinguished late-career professor when I tried it, and he spent quite a while with it and was convinced and ready to recommend it to a student, for whatever that is worth.

Nothing there convinced me I need a different tuba. I did come away with some music, a couple of mouthpieces, and a Schlipf practice mute, though. As always, the best things were the people and the music.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Anyone try the Wessex Bubbie 5?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Bill Troiano wrote:I have to admit that I spent more time conversing than playing tubas. It's been 4-5 years since I attended this conference and I was happy to catch up with people I haven't seen since moving to Texas. Of the tubas I played, Joe Burton's Conn CC ( a Matt Walters' creation) was the best tuba I played there.
Glad you could make it back. Joe's new horn is a York, he already has a Matt Walters Conn. And I agree, the new horn is fabulous.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist