TUSAB Tuba Review

The bulk of the musical talk
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Re: TUSAB Tuba Review

Post by Jerryleejr »

Ok I preface this with I am a hobbyist, what I have to compare any tuba with is a Yamaha 641 and King 2341 old and new style. Here is what I tested mostly BBb models.

Siegfried- couldn't pass up the chance, In the right hands probably as stated several times a phenomenal tuba. For me felt like to much work (lots of air)
Hagen both 5/4 and 6/4 my favorite by far, took very little effort (air) to play.
Wilson 3100 not as nimble as I was hoping but probably just me. It is a big horn.
Hojo BBb
BMB 4/4 and 6/4 liked them both but not the wow factor of the Hagen.
Eastman (Gr-51 clone) very surprising would have like to have played it back to back with the Hagen.
Fafner CC can't add anything that hasn't already been said about this model
Kanstul 66T Eb felt stuffy to me more restricted than most of the others I played.

Regret not trying any of the Adams tubas, wished there was a 191/1291 miraphone available.
Overall had a great time will plan for at least an extra day next year.

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks for all of the reviews -- I love hearing this stuff when I can't make it out there!

Anything interesting going on with Willson tubas? I have to admit, I never followed them that closely before buying one... but now I'm curious.

Anyone try the Miraphone TU-43 mouthpiece?

Anyone try the Meinl Weston 2155 that bloke brought? Or maybe even buy it?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I spent most of my time at the Eastman/Dillon display.

They had an uncatalogued 3/4 4 (gasp) piston tuba there I really fell for. (Reminiscent of a Yamaha YBB621)

I also performed an unofficial 3/4 rotary valve shoot out between the Dillon 1795, Balt Brass JZ and the Wessex Mosel.

The Mosel is more compact and about $200 less from the start.

I liked the valve spatulas better, they were smaller and placed closer together.

It was difficult to judge sound in there thru the cacophony, and that the JZ and 1795 had a higher chimney.

I determined I don't need another tuba until my abilities improve but I REALLY like the Eastman.

The full size Eastman EBB534 was also excellent.

The JZ and 1795 appear identical.

The Wessex Mosel displayed better fit and finish.

Assuming the Mosel holds up to the tuner-test in better conditions, it's the winner.

:tuba:

Wessex also added some water keys to the 3/4 TB330 Jr BBb (Yamaha 105/Jupiter 378 clone I play now.)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

bort wrote:Anyone try the Meinl Weston 2155 that bloke brought? Or maybe even buy it?
I did, and thought it was a fantastic horn, very even, easy to play, with good power. A lot like my 3450, with a different tone color. I didn't check pitch as the elephant room isn't the best play for serious play testing. First time playing a horn with MAW valves in a MW 21xx series horn; I wouldn't even bother with the stock valves. I had a 2145 for a few years and wonder what the valves could do for that tuba.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

tuben wrote:
Jerryleejr wrote:Ok I preface this with I am a hobbyist, what I have to compare any tuba with is a Yamaha 641 and King 2341 old and new style. Here is what I tested mostly BBb models.

Fafner CC can't add anything that hasn't already been said about this model

There is a Fafner CC?!?!
It didn't have a tag, and that's what the man said when I asked for a BBb. But I didn't argue...It was in the corner at the MW/B&S booth.

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

jtuba wrote:
bort wrote:Anyone try the Meinl Weston 2155 that bloke brought? Or maybe even buy it?
I did, and thought it was a fantastic horn, very even, easy to play, with good power. A lot like my 3450, with a different tone color. I didn't check pitch as the elephant room isn't the best play for serious play testing. First time playing a horn with MAW valves in a MW 21xx series horn; I wouldn't even bother with the stock valves. I had a 2145 for a few years and wonder what the valves could do for that tuba.
Very cool! Many years ago, I almost bought a 2155 from a grad student selling one at the conference. I decided to buy a 1291 instead, but I liked a lot of things about that 2155. Not to mention, the price was CRAZY low compared to what you'd have to pay now. :shock:

I hope Joe sold it!
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I have to admit that I spent more time conversing than playing tubas. It's been 4-5 years since I attended this conference and I was happy to catch up with people I haven't seen since moving to Texas. Of the tubas I played, Joe Burton's Conn CC ( a Matt Walters' creation) was the best tuba I played there. I was hoping Joe couldn't come up with the $$$, so I could buy it. I also liked the used small York CC at the BBC booth, although some pitches were noticeably sharp and it was difficult to access the 1st valve slide. I loved the sound, though. I also liked the used HB-1P at the BBC booth. I used to own one and loved it, but I got tendonitis playing it due to the valve spread and the way its center of gravity pulled it to my left. Those issues didn't seem to bother me on this tuba. Maybe, I've evolved somehow. Playing this HB made me miss mine. I also played a vintage 186 5U at the BBC booth. It was a nice tuba, but it didn't have the sound of the vintage 4U that I borrowed last year. I played the Ursus, and while I liked how it played, the notes slotted very well and it sounded really nice, it also had the angled leadpipe (like the Nirschls) that, to me, made it almost impossible to play without using a stand. The Wessex Wyvern was a pleasant surprise for me - nice to hold and play. It had a very even, and resonant sound with very quick response. Pitch seemed good and the price was nice too. The Eastman CC was a very nice tuba - 56J on steroids. I would love to find a 4 valve tuba of that size and sound. Joe B., are you tired of your new Conn yet? I only played 1 F tuba and that was the Miraphone Elektra at the Dillon Booth. I wasn't that impressed when I played it at TBA last summer because I just don't like playing rotary F's, but this time, either the tuba or me was very different. It's the best sounding and playing F rotary F tuba that I've ever played.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

I didn't play many tubas, and most of the ones I did play have been commented on already. The 4-valve Hirsbrunner BBC has was the one I spent the most time with. It's an excellent instrument, old enough to be handmade, apparently. Not sure I'd pay $8000 for it, but perhaps someone will. The best (to me) tuba I played was the Adams 4/4 CC, whatever that is called now, what used to be the HB21/HBS-392. But it is not by a long shot enough better than the similar Packer to justify the price difference to me. I played the Eastman CC and the Wessex Wyvern, as others did, and I have nothing really to add. One of those two had noticeably heavy valves or springs, but I don't remember which it was. The Wessex Berg feels solid in the hands and plays as others have said. I'm not much of an F player, but was hanging with a distinguished late-career professor when I tried it, and he spent quite a while with it and was convinced and ready to recommend it to a student, for whatever that is worth.

Nothing there convinced me I need a different tuba. I did come away with some music, a couple of mouthpieces, and a Schlipf practice mute, though. As always, the best things were the people and the music.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Anyone try the Wessex Bubbie 5?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Bill Troiano wrote:I have to admit that I spent more time conversing than playing tubas. It's been 4-5 years since I attended this conference and I was happy to catch up with people I haven't seen since moving to Texas. Of the tubas I played, Joe Burton's Conn CC ( a Matt Walters' creation) was the best tuba I played there.
Glad you could make it back. Joe's new horn is a York, he already has a Matt Walters Conn. And I agree, the new horn is fabulous.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist