Wessex Bombino Eb Review

The bulk of the musical talk
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Wessex Bombino Eb Review

Post by LCH3 »

Greetings all,

Three weeks into the Wessex Bombino Eb lacquer tuba makes me glad I have it. The lacquer finish is very good, and the feel of the tuba is solid – a heavier and more solid feel than I would have expected.

The tone is smooth and nice, darker than many Eb tubas, and holds solid from piano to forte. It is incredibly in-tune up and down the scale – using Blokepiece Imperial and Symphony mouthpieces – with only slight slide adjustments.

Played a rehearsal with about a 20-piece concert band and the sax player furthest away from me said he had no trouble hearing me. The sound blends well with my low brass quartet.

I like the smaller size of the tuba as being easy to hold and easy to transport. (I still have a full size Eb tuba for larger groups.) I do like the 3-1 valve layout vs. 4-front.

In summary, I am very pleased with the Wessex Bombino Eb. The purchasing experience was positive and delivery was very prompt – thanks go to Andy in Michigan for that.

On a technical note, I think proper break-in is important on the new instrument. By that I mean, pulling all the slides and cleaning and lubricating them; same with valves and valve casings. These steps should be repeated frequently during the first months of playing a new instrument and can be done even before a formal cleaning from the shop. I have read a lot about the importance of a proper break-in and many agree that it does seem to have an impact on the life-time proper functioning of the instrument.

Thanks.
Larry Haake
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Re: Wessex Bombino Eb Review

Post by Davidus1 »

Glad to hear the new horn is working for you. Thanks for posting the review!
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

My experience with the Bombino has been very similar to Larry's. It's a keeper. Also, the weight reduction compared to my other tuba is welcome for a chap in his eight decade.
Minor nit: the valve caps have a fine lead or pitch on their threads and can be a little difficult to replace after lubrication. A slightly coarser pitch or some relief on the beginning of the thread would help.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

DonShirer wrote:My experience with the Bombino has been very similar to Larry's. It's a keeper. Also, the weight reduction compared to my other tuba is welcome for a chap in his eight decade.
Nice to hear that I could be playing in my eighth decade. I'm merely in my 5th and just switched to Eb for the weight reduction. Happy so far with the switch.
Tom Coffey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tom Coffey »

A picture of this horn being played, or at least held, would be very helpful. The pictures on the Wessex site are very clear and detailed, but perspective is missing without a person in the picture.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Tom Coffey wrote:A picture of this horn being played, or at least held, would be very helpful. The pictures on the Wessex site are very clear and detailed, but perspective is missing without a person in the picture.
Here is one of professional tubist Ryan Breen test playing in the Wessex UK showroom only yesterday
Tom Coffey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tom Coffey »

Great picture--really helps to see it in perspective. Thanks!
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

What was Ryan's opinion of the Bombino?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Does anyone have video of their Bombino they would share?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

eupho wrote:What was Ryan's opinion of the Bombino?
He commented that "the intonation is really good and it has nice tone. Would make a good brass quintet or small ensemble tuba"
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Thanks Jonathan: DOes Wessex have any video of someone like Ryan playing the Bombino? I am shopping for an Eb for quintet.

Thanks
Rob Smith-USA
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

eupho wrote:Thanks Jonathan: DOes Wessex have any video of someone like Ryan playing the Bombino? I am shopping for an Eb for quintet.
Not at present. I may be able to get something at Frankfurt Music Fair this coming week
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Casca Grossa wrote: Jonathan....please get some photos and pics of the Danube if you can.
Definately! Ryan Breen really liked the Danube sound and the rotary valves. He will be playing it for one number on stage with Tubalate at Frankfurt Musikmesse, and I will see if I can video
euphomate
bugler
bugler

Post by euphomate »

Better than expected as regards it's overall build quality (more to come on this). Nice full sound, but better suited to a small ensemble. The Eb Bombino is an easy, light blow, and the light weight is a blessing. One fault though - the bell material is extremely light and fragile. I didn't realise how unstable and imbalanced the horn was standing on it's small bell, and it fell over on soft carpet. This was enough to put two significant creases in the metal just below the bell rim. I'm hoping a repair will not be a major issue. Heavier brass and/or reinforcing is needed for this tuba around the bell area. So far that's my only gripe. Be careful.
Besson BE982 Sovereign EEb tuba
Wessex Champion EEb tuba
Stencil compensating euphonium
Tubatooter
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubatooter »

This thread has been resurrected at least once....but I found it on a search. I'm thinking of a Bombino but am *really* having trouble with lifting things and getting around even though I'm "only" in my early 70s. Former posters.....is it still working for you? I'm not worried about blowing it (still have plenty of hot air) but do worry that I'd order one and in 30 seconds find out it is *still* too heavy for me at my current point in life.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

In know that feeling. It has kept me from pulling the trigger on a Gnagey EEb.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Tubatooter
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubatooter »

Probably the free shipping doesn't stay free if you find you can't handle it physically and have to send it back. Not complaining, just observing.