Recommendations for best Eflat Tubas on the market today.

The bulk of the musical talk
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Recommendations for best Eflat Tubas on the market today

Post by Phil Dawson »

I play a Besson 983. I also have a Miraphone 1293 that I play. They both are great horns to play but as I get older I find that the 983 is more fun to play and a lot easier to lug around. Phil
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

The Wessex Champion is a very good Eb tuba. Not many are better.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I don't know if I can claim it to be the best, but my 983 is a lot of fun to play!
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I regularly play on my "large" vintage Eb tubas in various ensembles. They have a warmth/color of sound that NONE of the modern Eb tubas have. But they are also more tempermental than modern ones.
Were I in the market for a new/modern "large" Eb that had a nice, big voice, I'd look into the M-W 2141 or B&S PT-22. IMO, Better sound color than the other modern Eb tubas. The big Willson Eb and Besson 983 front action Eb tubas are also nice. But I agree with bloke - they are kinda bland.

* I put "large" in quotes as those tubas are large as far as bass tubas are concerned, but are not large for contrabass standards :!:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ Well the difference between a 19" bell and a 15" bell is pretty big :!: A 19" bell makes it more an 'all-around/ensemble' horn whereas a 15" bell makes it more a 'solo' horn :idea:
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

I haven't played many modern Eb's either. I will say that the old (1890s early 1900s) Cerveny DeLuxe Eb's has an amazing depth of sound, even with a 15" bell. They can be found used, and they have a huge bore. Mine is in the shop right now.

Just a reminder that there are some amazing older horns out there.
Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

Miraphone also makes a 3+1 Compensator

https://www.miraphone.de/en/instruments ... 4-ventilen

I remember being quite impressed with the horn back at ITEC 2001 in Greensboro when the president of Miraphone did a solo on one.

The price makes it my "if I win the lottery" horn.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
IOS
bugler
bugler

Post by IOS »

I am frequently amused by some of the postings here. Characterizing the sound of the Willson 3400 as "bland" when I listen to Marty Erickson (who plays the Willson 3400) is rather ridiculous and characterizing the sound of the Besson 983 as "bland" when I listen to Pat Sheridan (who plays the Besson 983) is nonsensical. Special players who produce special "bland" sounds. Probably not.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote: - Most people (other than tuba players) probably don't give a crap about "bland".
Or could it be even more simple? Like:
- Most people probably don't give a crap about "bland".

I think you could find that complaint offered in the archives against the YFB822, but it's a pretty well regarded tuba anyway. Doesn't seem to be an issue with contrabass tubas, though, is it? I won't pretend to know, but I'm curious, what does "bland" even mean?
MusicSmiths
bugler
bugler

Post by MusicSmiths »

I don't have much experience with Eb horns since the Wessex Gnagey I bought a year and half ago is the first one I've ever owned. That said, it plays very well for me and the various folks that I have let try it.
David Smith
Wessex BBb Grand (5 valve)
Wessex Festivo
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

You can tell from my picture that I am a huge fan of the Norwegian Star, and that is after going through all the other keys of tubas and owning an F and a CC, both fine instruments. The NStar has a much better response than my 184 CC did, easier to get a good tone on, and has a much more open low range than my rotary F did, as well as a more contrabass type sound. At least try one if you can; it may or may not be your cup of tea.